Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bod?? Luftfartsmuseum

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
For Flieger and others who may be interested...

Ok here's some snaps from my last visit to the aviation museum in Bodø, Norway. The photos were all taken in the military hall, none from the civilian hall as this was my third visit and I just wanted to see my favourites. No specific jet shots either. Also the hall is rather dark so some of the pics are not what you'd call professional quality!

Here's the Hurri replica that lives out the front of the museum, painted in the colours of RAF 331 (Norwegian) Squadron when they were stationed at Catterick and then the Orkneys...

LFM01.jpg

Gloster Gladiator II. This was one of RAF 263 Sqn's kites that flew from HMS Glorious to defend Norway from the German invasion. Unfortunately although in 263's codes the scheme is incorrect...

LFM03.jpg

The next two are of a Ju-88 which has been left as it was found crashed in Norway...

LFM05.jpg

LFM06.jpg

Hurri cockpit...

LFM07.jpg

Mosquito in the markings of B Flight, RAF 333 (Norwegian) Sqn (and Harvard suspended above)...

LFM08.jpg

View inside of the Mossie from entrance hatch...

LFM09.jpg

Next two are both of Spitfire IXe in the markings of 331 Sqn...

LFM10.jpg

LFM11.jpg

The mascots of the two Norwegian Spitfire squadrons during the War, 331 and 332. 331's is "Varg" the German Shepherd and 332's is "Mads" the goat (complete with Norwegian coloured horns)

LFM12.jpg

Only allowed to post 10 images in the thread so might be more to follow...

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
nice shots Smithy!

You're tempting me to take the boat to Norway one of these days!! My uncle was on a few of the bombing runs against the Tirpitz, when she lay at anchor in a Norwegian Fjord. (he flew in Halifaxes).

Flieger

Practically Family
Sweeeeeeet!

Thanks Smithy for posting these! I REALLY have to visit this museum. I hear you have spend a couple of days there if you want to see everything.

Laughed out loud when I saw that goat with colored horns! A novel take on "nose art". :)

Cheers

/F

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Nice shots Smithy, and what a great selection of planes they have there. Can't boast of that in Denmark. But there are plans...[huh]
Thanks for sharing.
Got to get to Bod?? one of these days.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Flieger, if you want more Hurricane cockpit pics, I have detailed photos of the Alpine Fighter Collection's Mk.I, which are more complete than this and include sidewalls, cockpit floor, etc. Just PM me, no problem ;)

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Paddy, your uncle was one of a group of very brave men, taking on the Tirpitz was no picnic!

Anyone interested in WWII should, if they can, visit Norway. Apart from the wonderful museums, there is a huge amount to see here. Norway was heavily fortified by the Germans and the place is littered with bunkers, gun emplacements, etc. In Bodø a lot of people had bunkers in their backgardens and my fiancée's mother lives on a hill (Langåsen) which has a huge Jerry gun emplacement and bunker network.

Here in Trondheim we have two HUGE U-boat pens (which are virtually indestructible and still used by various businesses), bunkers and the fjord is full of crashed aircraft, from the Luftwaffe and also the RAF coming up the fjord to strafe shipping - these are of particular interest to divers.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
The Hurricane replica's still out the front of the air bit of MOTAT BT, but the poor thing needs a new paint job!

Flieger

Practically Family
Smithy said:
Flieger, if you want more Hurricane cockpit pics, I have detailed photos of the Alpine Fighter Collection's Mk.I, which are more complete than this and include sidewalls, cockpit floor, etc. Just PM me, no problem ;)

PM sent. :)

/F

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Dr. Gregg, the Spit XVI in the Temora Collection used to be one of Sir Tim's from the Alpine Fighter Collection.

Seeing as you are in Aussie you should make the hop across the ditch and visit Wanaka to see them and the airshow, and also the Aviation Heritage Centre in Omaka. NZ sports the best collections of classic fighters in the Southern Hemisphere, and the Wanaka airshow is one of the best in the world.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe