Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Blazer advice.

funneman

Practically Family
I am awaiting the arrival of a black, double breasted, six/one blazer from ebay.

I need some advice on what to wear with it to get a nice vintage look.

Also, is it bad form to wear a button down collar with a DB blazer?

Thanks in advance.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
White, or off white, linen trousers. I don't think there's anything wrong with a button down collar. A blazer is definitely a sporty garment. One thing that definitely goes with the blazer is an ascot.

Marty M.

Vendor
Patterns rule.

Don't forget to wear pattern trousers. A nice Gray Glen Plaid or a Black and Tan Houndstooth pattern looks great. When ever I'm wearing a dominate article of clothing that's a solid, I like to throw in as much pattern's as I can. Too much solid (solid blazer, solid trouser & solid shirt) can make a person look stiff, flat and cold. A rather "Unaproachable" look if I may say so.
Marty Mathis

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
My dad 1934

Here's my dad's high school graduation picture, June 1934. He's 2 months short of 17. Note the absolute conformity with sartorial standards of the dy. Blue blazers were absolutely ubiquitous from about 1930 to 1934. He has the white flannel trousers, the spectators (wish I knew if they were brown or black! I'll bet brown). Also note the four in hand knotted tie, and something or other in the breast pocket. That might also be some sort of flower in his lapel. He's wearing those thin silk socks, and you know they're being held up by elastic garters.
If they show "Wild Boys of the Road" (1934) again on TCM, note in the early dance scene how EVERY boy is wearing this outfit.
TWH1934graduation.jpg

Marty M.

Vendor
What a great picture Dhermann. Thanks for sharing. Your dad had style and taste. That's a picture that I'd hang in my store.
Marty Mathis

funneman

Practically Family
Thanks everyone, I knew I could count on you.

Great Picture dhermann1, your dad looks pretty sharp.

Now I really can't wait for my blazer to arrive.

Guess I better start looking for a pair of spectators in 91/2!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe