Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Blasphemy: best wool felt out there?

Joel Tunnah

Practically Family
FEDORA-FOUR.jpg

I think this is a nice looking hat! It's wool, and made by "Golden Gate" hat co.
Anyone know what the quality is like?

I have images from 1930's/40's/50's catalogs, and the wool fedoras are right there on the same pages as the expensive fur felts. So, are there any good ones out there?

RedPop4

One Too Many
Depends upon who you ask.
I won't begrudge anyone a wool hat, but I'm in the minority. Of course, in reading here, the fact that wool hats were common and available back when is conveniently forgotten or never mentioned.

MattJH

One Too Many
I don't know, but what may be useful information for you is that, in my experience, Golden Gate hats are sized a bit small. When I was first getting into hats, I ordered a Golden Gate bowler hat and a Golden Gate stingy brim (dubbed "Rocky") from Village Hat Company in 7 5/8 and neither of them were even close to fitting my head. They seemed closer to a 7 3/8.

Feraud

Bartender
RedPop4 said:
Of course, in reading here, the fact that wool hats were common and available back when is conveniently forgotten or never mentioned.
This beckons the question: Does anyone own a vintage wool hat?

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm glad someone had the courage to put the wool hat before us as a viable alternative. Good for you, Joel. I think we even need a forum dedicated to wool hats. Dealing with the issues, fading, shrinking, avoiding fading, avoiding shrinking, etc. I'm poised to start getting some of these hats. Fully aware that don't have fur felt stature, and with no illusions about the higher desirability of fur felt. Wool hats...no need to be sheepish about them anymore!;)

dean

duggap

Banned
Wool?

I have one wool hat. Appearance wise it is OK but it is harder than a western hat. It is so stiff that the brim is in a permanent position and cannot be snapped. It is a modern Stetson and a major disappointment. But it only cost $40.[huh]

RedPop4

One Too Many
There's the rub. $40 is a good deal easier on the wallet than $75 or more.
I freely acknowledge that the fur felt is the better of the hats for the many reasons here oft-stated.

It's much like the Cuenca v. Montecristi discussion.

Joel Tunnah

Practically Family
Maybe you could remove some of the stiffener? Stetson's fur felts feel stiff to me too though, both modern and vintage - or at least the ones I have.

I'm more interested in the "crushable" type of wool felt fedora, such as the one pictured above.

Joel

Nigel

One of the Regulars
I have a Stetson Santa Fe crushable felt western style that is flexible and comfortable, an ideal everyday hat. I also have a wool felt cowboy hat, made by Calgary Hat Co? that is as stiff as a board, it was the first western/cowboy style hat I bought and though I never wear it, I keep it for old times sake.

Flieger

Practically Family
Here's my Christy Lite Felt. A beater that was my first fedora but still hangs on. It's my "all weather" hat. The hatband is horrible but I've never gotten round to replace it.

Christy_Lite_Felt.jpg

Flieger

LeeB

Familiar Face
I have come out on this subject a couple of times in favor of wool felts. There have been numerous comments about the wool felts being stiffer than fur. In my humble experience, the opposite has been the case. I have two fur felts, one jaxon and one akubra. Both of the furs were very stiff when I first got them. The Akubra (Federation) has softened after repeated wearings and shaping but the Jaxon (Iconoclast) is only a year old and still somewhat stiff. I also own three wool felts, one Bailey, one Jaxon and one very old hat that I don't remember the maker. These wool felts were soft and comfortable right out of the box.
The biggest issue with the wools is the problem of shrinking when they are dried. Many of the newer wool felt are treated for water resistance by the maker and I habitually treat my wool felts with a silicone or other protectant and have never had a problem with a hat shrinking.
Granted, there are some very low qaulity wool felts out there that are not even worth the low price paid. But, that said, buying a wool felt from a reputable maker can be a very good alternative to spending the big bucks on a fur felt.

RedPop4

One Too Many
Baily with a pleated pugaree, instead of grosgrain bow.
P2050143.sized.jpg

Three wools.....Left to Right
International Collection, New York Hats, Bailey
P2090146.sized.jpg

Newly purchased, from Disney-MGM Studios, "OFFICIAL" lol lol lol Indy. I still like this hat and wear it often. This was taken on the same trip, in Nassau at The Graycliff.
P3030449.sized.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe