Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Blank-firing Webley revolver

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Anyone know of a manufacturer producing replica Webleys that fire blanks only? I'm planning on joining a group that only allows blank-firing weapons for safety reasons, but I'd like to use a Webley. My preference would be a Mk I, so that it will be good for 1887 through WWI, but I think I could probably get away with any model.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I have never heard of a group that only allows blank firing weapons, but then again, I am in Texas. lol

I don't think there is such a thing as a blanks-only Webley. I would be really surprised if anyone was making one, because with a revolver you can automatically fire blanks with no adapting necessary, just like with a bolt action rifle, because there's no action to be cycled like with an automatic rifle or pistol. Also, Webleys can still be had pretty inexpensively... so it really wouldn't make a lot of sense to produce a blank-firing one.

I would ask the unit leader about the revolver issue and see what he says. What are most of the other members carrying?

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
that might take some looking for
occasionally I see 8mm blank firing revolvers on Sportsmansguide.com, but havent noticed a webley.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=51383

47035.JPG

you might have to look for a japanese-made blank pistol.The automatics would be impractical for a reenactor, but a revolver would be fine..

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Back in the 1970s there were many WW II era non-firing copies that had all the functions and ability to disassemble exactly like the real ones but they could not fire or chamber any round. Haven't seen a Webley clone since then.

Not certain how that can work since the "blank" has always been a true, standard cartride with paper wad closing the charge along with a percussion cap like the real ammo. And close up a "blank" can be deadly. They must be making some under-sized chambers with special smaller brass cartridges.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
fortworthgal said:
I have never heard of a group that only allows blank firing weapons, but then again, I am in Texas. lol

I don't think there is such a thing as a blanks-only Webley. I would be really surprised if anyone was making one, because with a revolver you can automatically fire blanks with no adapting necessary, just like with a bolt action rifle, because there's no action to be cycled like with an automatic rifle or pistol. Also, Webleys can still be had pretty inexpensively... so it really wouldn't make a lot of sense to produce a blank-firing one.

I would ask the unit leader about the revolver issue and see what he says. What are most of the other members carrying?
This group is actually an old west group that puts on local shows at Pioneertown, where they used to film a lot the old Hollywood westerns, like Gunfight at the OK Corral (the corral is still there, too), The Cisco Kid movies, and a bunch of others. They perform very close to the audience, and have decided to go the blank route just to be safe. They are looking for a little diversity in their group, since everyone seems to want to be a cowboy or a saloon girl, and nothing else. Since I have zero interest in being a gunslinger, my friend asked me to join to play something, anything, other than another gunslinger. lol It has a lot of the atmosphere of Tombstone today, where you would think there were nothing but cowboys wandering the streets in dusters, and bargirls hanging out on the boardwalks.

At any rate, I've decided to do an ethnographer/archaeologist (big stretch for me lol ), but I really don't much want a Colt .45 blank gun. I figured if I could round up a blank firing Webley Mk I (so it is still reasonably accurate in the 1880s timeframe) it would be useful for later interpetations, as well.

carebear said:
You could always buy a real Webley and plug the barrel...

Wow, I actually typed that without throwing up.

:eek:

It'd be a great excuse to buy another handgun to be able to use a real Webley! That would definately be my preference, but I don't think I could ever bring myself to plug the barrel, not even on a Mk IV. I've already used this gig as an excuse to pick up a white Foreign Service pith helmet, and am looking for some British 19th c. field gear that might have been adopted by an archaeologist, too, though.

carebear

When the $2,500 home FAB machines start production this will be less of an issue. You could make any replica you wanted.

Baggers

Practically Family
I think you need to get some very specific information on what type of weapons and ammo this group uses. It's always been my experience that gunfighter groups just used real weapons along with very strict safety precautions to ensure that only the proper blank ammo was being used and to make sure that weapons were never used in away that could endanger the audience. If they're using some species of oddball 8mm blank firers for their shows, you may be out of luck trying to use a Webley.

Commonly used blanks can be loaded to different strengths (1/4, 1/2, full) depending on the intended use. It could be that they're only using a 1/4 load blank so the report isn't deafening and there's no foot long muzzle blast.

If that's all they're doing, then just pick yourself up a Mk VI, and away you go. The only issue you might have is what type of blank to use. I've only used .45 ACP and .45 Auto Rim brass on half moon clips in mine, I've never tried rimmed brass like .45 Long Colt. Whoever it is that your group gets theirs from should be able to hook you up. If not, you're not too far from one of the biggest film industry suppliers.

Cheers!

Baggers

Practically Family
carebear said:
Standard 5-in-1 blanks would be too long for a .455 cylinder, right?

Good question. I don't know. I can measure the cylinder on mine, although it was one of the many that had the back ground down a bit in order the provide clearance for use with half moon clips and .45 ACP. I do know that the original .445 round was a stubby little critter so it may be too short to begin with. Of course, if Mojave manages to get his hands on an unmodified piece, he'll probably have to get Swanson to custom make blanks to fit it anyway. He might also still need to get the 1/2 or 1/4 charge loads too. Can you get lightweight 5-in-1s, or are they only available in full "OMG that was loud" strength? lol

Cheers!

carebear

Baggers,

What I know about 5-in-1's can fit in this sentence - "I know 5-in-1 blanks exist." [huh]

For liability reasons, for public use I'd definitely want to buy blanks (even if custom made) from a manufacturer rather than roll my own.

MrBern,

That is a very ugly gun. :D

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Tony in Tarzana said:
If they do need another saloon girl, find out if anybody got Tammy's number. lol
lol lol lol

Good news! I talked to the safety manager, and he said if I had a Mk IV modified, I can use it. I'd have to have the barrel plugged completely and a vent cut into the underside of the barrel to vent the pressure, though. Now I just have to find out if the blanks come in a rimmed cartridge. From what I've seen they come in 9mm and .380, both of which are rimless cartridges for real ammunition. I can't believe the Replica Colt blank guns that are 9mm don't use a rimmed cartridge, though. The good part is that the Mk IV is cheap enough, and will pass as a Mk I for these shows, so I don't have to mangle a .455.

Story

I'll Lock Up
Mojave Jack said:
lol lol lol The good part is that the Mk IV is cheap enough, and will pass as a Mk I for these shows, so I don't have to mangle a .455.

1. Any of the specialty blank companies should be able to cobble up black powder blanks in the caliber of your choice. $$$$

2. So you'll be needing a Mk IV .38 caliber barrel assembly, with a poor bore?

Les Gillis

One of the Regulars
Swanson

Swanson makes light loads for indoor filming. He's really good about doing custom work. He's working on some really oddball blanks for an obsolete self loader for me now. He's the best thing going as far as blanks.

Les

carebear

Les Gillis said:
Swanson makes light loads for indoor filming. He's really good about doing custom work. He's working on some really oddball blanks for an obsolete self loader for me now. He's the best thing going as far as blanks.

Les

<ahem> there are a few gun nuts here who wouldn't mind a bit more detail... [huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe