Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bill Kelso dark seal Liberty horse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
Hi guys,
I just got an email from Andy saying they are having supply problems with the seal Liberty horse that I had ordered. I can get dark seal right now. Does anyone have a jacket in dark seal that they can post pics of? I'm not overly concerned about the change, but I just want to make sure that it's not too dark so as to appear nearly black. I would rather wait a while longer if that's the case.
Thanks for any help.

bretron

Call Me a Cab
The new batch of seal is different than the old stuff which had more cordovan undertones. The new seal is closer to a dark russet IMO. Not a bad color at all per se, but if you were after a rather deep brown, the dark seal may be the better option

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
The new batch of seal is different than the old stuff which had more cordovan undertones. The new seal is closer to a dark russet IMO. Not a bad color at all per se, but if you were after a rather deep brown, the dark seal may be the better option
Thanks mate. Keen to see some examples if possible. I just saw a 50% sale advertised on their facebook page. It doesn't say what models, but it has piqued my curiosity once more.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
Here is me and my Dodger. I don't know what color they call this, ask Andy.
x.jpg

DSC01763.jpg

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
I love your jacket, makes me excited for mine. I think that's a normal seal, not the dark seal. Either way, it's a great jacket.

A-1

One Too Many
Yepp, I'd also say normal seal. The dark seal is quite dark guessing from their Facebook posts.
Just take a look there.

You'll find some jackets in their dark seal. For me it looked almost black. But I guess a lot depends on the lighting.

If I were you, I'd wait for Badalassi seal to arrive. Or do it in black if you want dark.

By the way, their russet liberty hh is quite an option as well. I've posted a thread with NY customized aeronaut. There are some photos worn, they depict the color quite nicely. I get compliments every time I'm wearing it. It's really something special and I needed some time getting used to it. However I'm happy to have chosen it. It really stands out from all the 'normal' brown tones. But the question is what you really want of course.
Ah, and the russet seems to have a little more substance and to be stiffer than the liberty seal.

HTH

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I received two BK jackets in the dark seal Liberty HH. The color is very dark, but definitely brown as opposed to borderline black. Unfortunately, I did not care for the leather itself. I strongly suggest that you get a large sample of the Liberty HH before you make a decision.

10917807_915420378488254_421548555794761347_o.jpg

10865995_915413981822227_6959932831059187301_o.jpg

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
Thanks mate. What is it that you don't like about the leather? When I got my samples, they were glued to cardboard, so I don't know how the leather feels, or if the colouring is genuinley accurate.

Superfluous

Thanks mate. What is it that you don't like about the leather? When I got my samples, they were glued to cardboard, so I don't know how the leather feels, or if the colouring is genuinley accurate.

These are just my untrained, inexperienced opinions, and I am no expert:

The Liberty HH is lifeless and feels like vinyl/plastic. The leather on my other HH jackets is robust and has much more character. When I reported this to Andy, he responded that “[t]he 'vinyl' you refer to is semi-aniline finish and it is the same thing used on all vintage jackets without exceptions.” I have several “semi-aniline” jackets and none look or feel like the Liberty HH. To the contrary, as stated above, my other “semi-aniline” leathers are robust and full of character, and do not feel or look anything like vinyl.

The Liberty HH is also surprisingly thin. According to BK, the leather is 3oz. However, it felt thinner than my 2 oz leather jackets.

Again, these are just my untrained, inexperienced opinions. I like Andy and I was really excited about the two jackets that I ordered from BK. Unfortunately, the jackets were disappointing.

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
Yes, some of the examples I've seen look pretty smooth, without a great deal of grain. I'm wondering if with some wear it will start popping and start showing some genuine character? Again, it's hard for me to make an informed decision as I've never handled it, or seen one in real life...

ericsanpablo31

One of the Regulars
So Im guessing the bk liberty is not the same as thurston/aero vicenza as ive seen implied in the past? I think i also remember reading somewhere that the bk victory is sourced from the same place as the vicenza... I wonder if that's true? In any case having owned a vicenza it definitely looks different from a lot of the liberty pics I've seen

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
The Liberty HH on my Dodger is very much like a vintage jacket, color, weight, feel. It does have a rather flat, sheet like finish. Pretty common on vintage HH jackets. It is not a heavy, thick jacket but the weight of a vintage jacket. If their intention is to make a "new" pre-war HH jacket then they have been successful. That what it looks and feels to me. Here are some pictures of the Dodger with a pre-war HH jacket. They look and feel very similar.

DSC01893.jpg
DSC01894.jpg
DSC01896.jpg
DSC01903.jpg
DSC01906.jpg
DSC01913.jpg

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
Great comparison there mate, thanks for that. I'm unsure what if anything they were trying to emulate. I just remember all the BK hide promoting Andy used to do, so I guess I assumed it was all top quality, beautiful stuff...
I wonder what the upcharge for Victory or Badalassi is...

Superfluous

So Im guessing the bk liberty is not the same as thurston/aero vicenza as ive seen implied in the past? I think i also remember reading somewhere that the bk victory is sourced from the same place as the vicenza... I wonder if that's true? In any case having owned a vicenza it definitely looks different from a lot of the liberty pics I've seen

The Liberty and the Vicenza hides are very different. The Vicenza has more character and is more robust. I much prefer the Vicenza. In fact, I ordered a Vicenza jacket to replace the two BK Liberty jackets.

The Liberty HH on my Dodger is very much like a vintage jacket, color, weight, feel. It does have a rather flat, sheet like finish. Pretty common on vintage HH jackets. It is not a heavy, thick jacket but the weight of a vintage jacket. If their intention is to make a "new" pre-war HH jacket then they have been successful. That what it looks and feels to me. Here are some pictures of the Dodger with a pre-war HH jacket. They look and feel very similar.

That is exactly what Andy said to me. BK was going for the authentic look of an unworn vintage jacket. Your description of the Liberty leather is spot on: "flat, sheet like finish." For those seeking such a look, the Liberty HH may be perfect. I personally prefer a heartier leather with more character -- not as hearty as some of the Horween leathers, but more so than the Liberty hide.

I've heard great things about the Victory hides when you can get them.

I too have heard great things about BK's Victory HH. It is more robust and has more character than the Liberty hide.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
The Liberty and the Vicenza hides are very different. The Vicenza has more character and is more robust. I much prefer the Vicenza. In fact, I ordered a Vicenza jacket to replace the two BK Liberty jackets.

That is exactly what Andy said to me. BK was going for the authentic look of an unworn vintage jacket. Your description of the Liberty leather is spot on: "flat, sheet like finish." For those seeking such a look, the Liberty HH may be perfect. I personally prefer a heartier leather with more character -- not as hearty as some of the Horween leathers, but more so than the Liberty hide.

I too have heard great things about BK's Victory HH. It is more robust and has more character than the Liberty hide.

Vintage unworn jacket is what it is to me. I didn't ask about the inspiration other than I could see and understand it. While it may be something I like not sure how that flys in todays market. I have a year old BK Duke in Victory. I will post some side by side shots tomorrow. Very different hide. To me the Dodger would not be as nice in the Victory, but it would look great.

A-1

One Too Many
The liberty russet is quite stiff, heavy and develops a lit of character quite quickly. Can't speak about the other hides. I've come to love the russet.
The victory is something completely different fromthe photos I've seem. In my opinion it looks awesome!! If you're fanatic about vintage lookalikes this may not be your thing. However, I think it's beautiful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld