Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bill Kelso Aeronaut A1- Which Lining Should I Choose?

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Ok bros

Which lining is it gonna be for my BK Aeronaut A1? The jacket will be in seal HH, with the lining all the way to the end of the jacket opening, which means the lining will be visible near the collar.

Either going plain Jane solid khaki, or one of the tartan plaids....

Here are the tartans I've narrowed down.
D64B9402-4486-498B-8919-0630704F9AF5.jpg

22E6DA94-DDB1-40F2-B389-BA1D21765D53.jpg

I'm leaning on the one second from the bottom left....

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
Hmmm...not a big fan of tartan in jacket linings and facings (bit 'Bay City Rollers' for me).
I'd go plain, but if you had to go for one Bret, your choice looks just fine. If I were pressed to select a tartan, I'd go for fourth down on the left, or second down on the right - something more blue/brown rather than red (too hackneyed).
Good luck!

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Eighth down on the right or fourth down on the left would be my picks from those options.

Looking forward to the photos when you get it.

zhz

Practically Family
I would go for the bottom left one or the left one in fourth row counting from bottom.
If you dont like blue, I think the right one in the fifth is good. (top down this time)

BTW, I am with Dr H, the plain is the best choice..

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Thx for the input guys. Against my better judgment I keep telling myself I want more eye candy with the lining, but for a whole host of reasons a non-patterned lining seems to make the most sense.

Hell, I could go all tiger stripe or bull frog camo ala a Himel- that would match most outfits, right??? :lol:

Another option I thought would be cool, in all seriousness, would be wool blanket (just in the body lining). Perhaps too thick for this style of jacket, but for wow factor would probably look pretty rad

Last edited:

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Eric, I thought about that, but I concluded that I actually prefer being able to see the lining detail. Seems to really set the jacket off and apart from others IMO. Now, if only I could decide on which lining to choose haha.

I would always waste days trying to pick the right tartan, only to give up and go with a single colour lining... Can't even seem to decide between the few choices after you've narrowed it all down but that plaid lining in the second post looks very nice to me and fits the style of the jacket. I'd have to get used to an A1 with a colorful lining.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
The olive one, second from the top would look great with a seal jacket IMO.

Possibly even better than a tartan. The Aeronaut design has a lot going on with detail (buttons, collar, pockets, etc) and as others have said a plain lining might be a better bet.

Might just be a tad "busy" with a tartan lining.

bretron

Call Me a Cab
^^ Thinking the same thing. Hmm. I've sent Andy a follow up email to see if there were any other non-patterned options other than those pictured a page back. Keep y'all posted! And thx for all the feedback; really appreciate all the perspectives

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
Yes, olive lining gets my vote too - unless you do want to join The Bay City Rollers, Bret? (still treading the boards...) ;)

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Killin me, Ian :lol:

The reference, however, gets the point across strikingly well!

Last edited:
One more vote for the olive lining. I've learned it's a colour that works surprisingly well with both brown and black leather.

bretron

Call Me a Cab
I like it guys!! Thx!

Ok, olive lined sleeves as well or dark brown sleeves? Dark brown, right?

bretron

Call Me a Cab
By unlined you mean not lined with fabric, correct? Or do you mean not lined with leather? That's what I had originally planned on ordering but had a late thought that they would possibly too stiff/rigid for this style of a jacket. But I'm re-rethinking it now

So many decisions to be made!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82