Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best time to go outside in the sun and who uses an umbrella when it's sunny?

Edward

Bartender
" Pale is the pinnacle of female beauty here."

That's a good reason Asian women age so well, they protect their skin.

Conversely, there are those - usually women, but it applies to both genders - here in London who will lie out in direct sunlight every chance they get. End result is that they look like old leather handbags before they're thirty. Especially unflattering if combined with maintaining an underweight physique. Especially common among the money classes here, for whatever reason.

I don't use an umbrella even when it rains; they're more of a hassle than they're worth in my opinion. And now that I'm older, have back problems, and often use a cane, an umbrella would occupy my "free" hand and render me even more useless than usual. :D

I used to never bother with them in Belfast, as over there by the time it gets wet enough to be worth putting one up, it's invariably too windy for it to be worth the hassle fighting with it. As I've gotten older, though, I do appreciate an umbrella, evne if more often than not I end up carrying it rather than actually using it.

Obviously I wear a hat in sunny weather (I say 'obviously' as I'm on this forum, aren't I?) but I'm surprised at how few mentions of sunscreen there are on this thread. The lower face and arms are vulnerable, and I always carry a bottle of 50+ if I'm going to be spending the day watching cricket etc.

Good point. I don't use it very often myself, simply because if I'm gonig to spend any time out in the Sun (which I do try to avoid, whenever possible), I tend to wear long sleeves (at least a shirt, preferably also a jacket), a wide brimmed hat, and often gloves too. The less of my skin that is exposed to the Sun the better. Sunscreen definitely helps, though. I tend to apply it when I'm gonig to be outside all day, especially if the weather is bad - 'bad' for me meaning Sunny and too hot to be able to wear a jacket.

-30-

A-List Customer
Another sun related item is that people who are colour blind, color blind, stateside, are adversely affected, especially by reflected flashes.

I only found out how blind I was after a vision test; " You are almost totally colour blind!!"

(The Ishihara Test. only able to see the figures on the first and last discs.)
LOL.

And no, I don't use an umbrella when the sun is shinning; a wide brim does the job most times.

Regards,
J T

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
And as summer is nearly upon us,don't forget your shades kids, especially if you're into light coloured hats......those UV's will be bounding off your under brims like ping pong balls & straight into yer peepers, increasing your risk of developing cataracts. Of course they can be operated on but prevention is always better then cure.

And as summer is nearly upon us,don't forget your shades kids, especially if you're into light coloured hats......those UV's will be bounding off your under brims like ping pong balls & straight into yer peepers, increasing your risk of developing cataracts. Of course they can be operated on but prevention is always better then cure.
Also, your eyes can get sunburned and are susceptible to melanomas because the corneas are composed of epithelial tissue similar to your skin. Yes, sunglasses that block both UVA and UVB rays are more expensive (considerably so in some cases), but the extra expense is an investment in your health.

KingAndrew

A-List Customer
Great advice everyone. As a Florida native, I've always been a proponent of hats, sunscreen, & shades when it's bright out (90% of the time in Central Florida, where I'm from).

Now that I have a "helipad" bald spot right on top of my head, the hat is even more important than before :)

Nyah

One of the Regulars
I used to wear sunglasses and no hat. Now I wear a hat everytime but sunglasses only when driving a vehicle. In my opinion, sunglasses give a false sense of security. If I can't tell when the sun is dangerous, I'm risking skin damage.

As for a brim, I believe that 2.5" is the minimum for practical shade. I won't buy hats with brims smaller than that.

LeBois46

One of the Regulars
I used to wear sunglasses and no hat. Now I wear a hat everytime but sunglasses only when driving a vehicle. In my opinion, sunglasses give a false sense of security. If I can't tell when the sun is dangerous, I'm risking skin damage.

As for a brim, I believe that 2.5" is the minimum for practical shade. I won't buy hats with brims smaller than that.

Respectfully I don't agree. The sun can be doing damage to your eyes even on an overcast day. Assume that the sun is dangerous to your eyes, face, etc. I keep a pair in my car and in my fishing vest both of high quality for UV protection. I do agree on the hat brim width. My warm weather hats are all 2.5 or more.

Dan Allen

A-List Customer
More years ago than I care to admit I was guilty of something along these lines

umbrella_zpscrtgo5h1.jpg

tuco1963

One of the Regulars
Nope, no umbrella for either rain or shine, a wide brimmed hat is usually enough to protect me from both but I don't think an umbrella or parasol has sufficient UV protection anyway,they provide shade that is all. However a hat & parasol combo has got to be a winner :rolleyes:

heyyyyyyy
where did you get my pic from ?
and yes the combo is nice

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe