Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best material for hot climate

Kilgour

New in Town
Hello all,

I intend to have a couple of bespoke suits built by a tailor for a stay in Colombo, where the equatorial weather is extremely hot and heavy.

First, to evaluate the work of the tailor, I'm having a pair of trousers built, in classic traditional style: high waist, double pleated, ample leg. I want to see if he can pull it off with a test item.

I'd like white, but I have questions:
- what material? 100% wool? Merino / Batavia / cashmere? Loro Piana is available here. A blend?
- what grammage? 270? Less? To get proper drape while keeping it light enough for hot weather.
- how to avoid see-through with white? Increase grammage? Or use special lining? Which material for the lining?

Here's a perfect example of high-waist, pleated white pants for hot weather, with proper drape and no see-thru:
A-Casual-Day-for-Cary-Grant-900x675.jpg

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Cotton is a classic choice for hot weather. Its breathability and sweat absorbing properties make it perfect for promoting air circulation and keeping you cool. Additionally, cotton feels soft against the skin, providing maximum comfort throughout the day.
You can avoid any transparency simply by having the trousers lined. For a stronger cotton, look up cotton twill and cotton duck. Both are firmer and neither are transparent.

Hello all,

I intend to have a couple of bespoke suits built by a tailor for a stay in Colombo, where the equatorial weather is extremely hot and heavy.

First, to evaluate the work of the tailor, I'm having a pair of trousers built, in classic traditional style: high waist, double pleated, ample leg. I want to see if he can pull it off with a test item.

I'd like white, but I have questions:
- what material? 100% wool? Merino / Batavia / cashmere? Loro Piana is available here. A blend?
- what grammage? 270? Less? To get proper drape while keeping it light enough for hot weather.
- how to avoid see-through with white? Increase grammage? Or use special lining? Which material for the lining?

Here's a perfect example of high-waist, pleated white pants for hot weather, with proper drape and no see-thru:
View attachment 644936
I am surprised that linen does not appear as one of your choices. Find a high quality laundered linen and have a suit made....a hot climate wardrobe needs to include at least one linen suit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KalterKrieg72