Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best Good Wear A2 Model

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
Does he still make the SAT? I didn't see it listed on his website, unless I'm missing the proper name.

Very nice jacket.

Thanks.

It's never been listed officially (several examples were made I think) but I
guess that it's still available.

DoubleXX

One of the Regulars
John has sourced some new capeskin and is taking orders for A-1s. You'd have to ask him directly about capeskin for A-2 orders. It's comparatively harder to come by than other hides (and available in smaller quantities) so might be reserved for A-1 orders - worth a call.
I've had an original capeskin A-2 in the past and I have an AN-J-3 in the same hide - it's very comfortable.

-Interesting...I enquired a few months ago about using capeskin in an A-2 and he said no...he said it wasn't "authentic".

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
-Interesting...I enquired a few months ago about using capeskin in an A-2 and he said no...he said it wasn't "authentic".

It's not authentic for the mil. spec. A-2 (the wartime contracts were executed in horsehide or goatskin) - my A-2 (from 1942) was a McGregor Sportswear (Doniger) civilian A-2. The present AN-J-3 is also by McGregor Sportswear.

D

Deleted member 16736

It's not authentic for the mil. spec. A-2 (the wartime contracts were executed in horsehide or goatskin) - my A-2 (from 1942) was a McGregor Sportswear (Doniger) civilian A-2. The present AN-J-3 is also by McGregor Sportswear.

I asked John if he'd make me a Doniger in HH and he said no. You might have to prove it is authentic first.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
After an almost two-year wait (because of the time John took to work through his backlog), I just got my first Good Wear last week, a Dubow 27798. It's awesome, and a huge step up from the US Authentic and Gibson & Barnes A-2 jackets I've owned so far. Unfortunately, I can't wear it even momentarily in the brutal heat and humidity we've been having here. So I hung it up (in an inside-type, air-conditioned storage unit I rent for my parents' old photo-biz equipment, etc.) to let the smell dissipate a bit, and I'm really looking forward to breaking it in once the jacket weather returns in a couple of months.

As far as directing me to the right contract for my (widebody) form and getting the fit and details perfect, John and Vickie were aces. Good Wears are "1942 in a box" for sure!

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
You have to wait 2 years for a GW jacket? :eeek:

As many here know, because John Chapman is essentially a one-man business and a dedicated old-world craftsman, Good Wear got into a backlog situation such that they didn't take any new orders for something like ten months. Once they informed me that they were accepting orders again and I started sending them specs and measurements (and checks!), it took about six and a half months. And because I had first tried ordering well before the last price increase, they charged me the old price - $200 less. I call that pretty excellent service... and the quality is well worth the wait!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe