Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best city for vintage living

• Thread starter Deleted member 16736
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 16736

So I'm looking to move (currently in Florida) and I'd like to find a nice, large, vibrant and safe city with lots of period architecture and a strong vintage scene. Right now my choices are Chicago and Seattle with London as a longshot. Any other cities worth considering? I'm sure there are, I just don't know them. Thank you.

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
New York certainly qualifies. LA, too, if it's safe enough for you. I've not heard of a strong vintage scene in Seattle, but it's been quite a while since I've been there, so that could well be my ignorance showing.

My vote would also go to L.A. and environs. But having said that I consider the following places contenders as vintage centres of the world because they seem to satisfy all three of these important factors: 1) historic sites /period architecture, 2) number of active FL members who live there, and 3) a thriving vintage community:
My apologies if I left out anyone's town or city.

Cities

Berlin
London
Los Angeles*
Melbourne
San Francisco*
Sydney
Toronto

Countries
I also include whole countries as we seem to have many members in those countries who may or may or not necessarily live in its major cities.

Denmark
Finland
Ireland
Netherlands
New Zealand
Norway
Sweden

*and environs

D

Deleted member 16736

Bath does look very nice. I was hoping to visit there on my last trip to London, but it didn't happen. Next time.

Berlin is interesting. I heard from another friend that it was a very affordable place to live. London and LA of course are centers of the vintage universe. I went to law school in LA, and honestly, I don't think I could go back there. I just wasn't made out for it. Too much driving. San Francisco is very nice, but it's smaller than I prefer. Maybe Seattle doesn't have a vintage scene after all. I know they have a thriving lindy hop scene and lots of nice period architecture, especially mid-century modern. But like most (all) of these places, it ain't cheap there either. Milwaukee is a city I need to look into. (Update: I did look into it, and despite the horrible public schools, it has an amazing housing stock of pristine 1920's/30's home for $100 per square foot or less. We're talking leaded glass, stone fireplaces, tiled bathrooms, the whole nine yards. And because rich people with bad taste didn't buy these houses yet and "update" them, they look basically the way they did when new. All that and 90 minutes from Chicago.) Speaking of Chicago, that probably isn't safe enough for my tastes. And finally, I'm from New York -- been there, done that!

Thank you for those wonderful suggestions. Please keep them coming if we missed one.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr Vim

One Too Many
I'm in the same boat as Joel here, I'm about to choose my next duty station... San Fracisco is open, so is LA, and I'm having a hard time deciding between the two.

It's true, the schools aren't very good, but private school may be an option, as well.

The stock of old bungalows there really is astounding and places can be had on the cheap. We used to live in a place in Milwaukee over on 52nd and Bluemound and it had beautiful archways, original kitchen cabinets, leaded glass cabinets in the dining room and living room, flanking the faux fireplace. It was really a beautiful house and that neighborhood is very good, even still. Also, if you're a sports fan, it's very close to Miller Park.

(Update: I did look into it, and despite the horrible public schools, it has an amazing housing stock of pristine 1920's/30's home for $100 per square foot or less. We're talking leaded glass, stone fireplaces, tiled bathrooms, the whole nine yards. And because rich people with bad taste didn't buy these houses yet and "update" them, they look basically the way they did when new. All that and 90 minutes from Chicago.)

D

Deleted member 16736

I'm in the same boat as Joel here, I'm about to choose my next duty station... San Fracisco is open, so is LA, and I'm having a hard time deciding between the two.

San Fran is a very romantic city.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I've always thought Milwaukee could be interesting. They used Molwaukee to portray Chicago in Kevin Costner's Untouchables, and it obviously has a lot of great vintage architecture. But how about the percentage of people who are into vintage clothes? New York is reasonably good on all counts, but I'd have to say not sensational on any one thing. One thing we do have here are LOTS of great bands that play both 20's and Swing music, and lots of people who dress for those occasions. So it's a pretty healthy (and growing) scene.

D

Deleted member 16736

I've always thought Milwaukee could be interesting. They used Molwaukee to portray Chicago in Kevin Costner's Untouchables, and it obviously has a lot of great vintage architecture. But how about the percentage of people who are into vintage clothes? New York is reasonably good on all counts, but I'd have to say not sensational on any one thing. One thing we do have here are LOTS of great bands that play both 20's and Swing music, and lots of people who dress for those occasions. So it's a pretty healthy (and growing) scene.

I'm glad to hear that. I worked in Manhattan for about 7-8 years from 1996 - 2004 and there was no vintage scene I was aware of at the time. Swing dancing was popular and I took some lessons in ballroom swing at Sandra Cameron dance studio, but I wasn't living vintage back then so if it was happening, I didn't notice it. Do Cangelosi Cards still play? I remember when they burst onto the Lindy scene starting at Swingout New Hampshire about five or six years ago. I believe they're broken up now, but they were big in NY.

By the way, my grandfather was born in the Bronx. On a farm.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 16736

It's true, the schools aren't very good, but private school may be an option, as well.

The stock of old bungalows there really is astounding and places can be had on the cheap. We used to live in a place in Milwaukee over on 52nd and Bluemound and it had beautiful archways, original kitchen cabinets, leaded glass cabinets in the dining room and living room, flanking the faux fireplace. It was really a beautiful house and that neighborhood is very good, even still. Also, if you're a sports fan, it's very close to Miller Park.

I just looked up Wauwacosta, WI homes for sale and I was blown away. Every home on every block is a 1930's bungalow, usually in stone! The interiors are largely pristine. Shocking.

'Tosa is great for that, and for those interested in Mid-Century, there's a TON of well-preserved Ranches and Cape Cods. The house my grandpa built on 60th and Hampton (Milwaukee now, Wauatosa when it was built in 1951) still looks exactly like it did when he built it, as do almost all the houses in the neighborhood.

I just looked up Wauwacosta, WI homes for sale and I was blown away. Every home on every block is a 1930's bungalow, usually in stone! The interiors are largely pristine. Shocking.

D

Deleted member 16736

'Tosa is great for that, and for those interested in Mid-Century, there's a TON of well-preserved Ranches and Cape Cods. The house my grandpa built on 60th and Hampton (Milwaukee now, Wauatosa when it was built in 1951) still looks exactly like it did when he built it, as do almost all the houses in the neighborhood.

Do you have the address? All I found at the corner of 60th and Hampton was a church and two Citgo stations.

DNO

One Too Many
I'm a bit biased but...Toronto. Large, lots of green, wildly multicultural, very safe, great schools, terrific architecture, lots of vintage...even our lame mayor should be gone in a couple of years. Housing is pricey, however.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld