Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bespoke Savile Row belt back 1990s

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
this isn't a 'Norfolk' as the seller suggests. it's a very good modern version of a 1930s belted action back sports jacket:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/IMMACULAT...Tailoring&hash=item231b7f177f#ht_15217wt_1413

i usually find that Savile Row don't do this type of belt back very well. why ? because they haven't gone through the rigorous amount of design work that mass produced jackets of the 20s-40s would have, where every detail has been tweaked and tweaked to perfection. this is probably the best bespoke version i've seen.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
There's something about it that I just don't like. Somehow the lapels don't have the required element of style that one might associate with such a jacket. They are a little long for my tastes.

P.S. Interesting to see that 'Savvyrow' aren't the only people selling the interesting/unusual stuff at the moment.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
There's something about it that I just don't like. Somehow the lapels don't have the required element of style that one might associate with such a jacket. They are a little long for my tastes.

i think they look long because it is a high gorge (which i like) and the buttons are too low (which look wrong).

AntonAAK

Practically Family
Do we really think that the original price would have been £4000? Even for Savile Row that sounds steep for a jacket.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
Do we really think that the original price would have been £4000? Even for Savile Row that sounds steep for a jacket.

Huntsman, who according to the London Lounge, are currently the priciest on the Row, say their sports jackets start at £3075.
maybe with a belt back or other complexities the price would be getting nearer £4000. the above jacket is from 1990 and not by Huntsman so i think the seller is being a bit fast and loose with the figures.

Qirrel

Practically Family
Huntsman, who according to the London Lounge, are currently the priciest on the Row, say their sports jackets start at £3075.
maybe with a belt back or other complexities the price would be getting nearer £4000. the above jacket is from 1990 and not by Huntsman so i think the seller is being a bit fast and loose with the figures.

I don't think the belt makes a difference to the price. We are talking about three seams, a bit of fabric, and a pleat in the back. It shouldn't add to the cost of an already very expensive jacket. At that price point it really should be the fabric that matters. (Except maybe if one wanted the entire inner lining quilted by hand, or some other time-consuming work along those lines.)

Have a good tailor reset the lapels to make it a 3 button. Problem solved.

Not possible without a major amount of work.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I'm not keen on the fabric, but I adore the lining. That shade of dark gold is exactly what I would choose for a suit lining.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
I don't think the belt makes a difference to the price. We are talking about three seams, a bit of fabric, and a pleat in the back. It shouldn't add to the cost of an already very expensive jacket. At that price point it really should be the fabric that matters.

i emailed Huntsman to enquire about this very subject. i asked how much extra a sports jacket with action back, belt and patch pockets would be.
nothing like hearing it straight from the horses mouth:

Many thanks for your email.

A bespoke sports jacket actually starts at £3,511. I shall ensure the website price is amended.

The price will be approximately £3,771 for the addition of your requested styling details.

Please do not hesitate to get in touch should you have any further queries.

...so a £260 additional price hike for the extras. the price of the bespoke jacket of this thread would almost disappear between the cracks at Huntsman. a bargain i reckon.

AntonAAK

Practically Family
Very interesting HBK and thanks for making that enquiry. I wonder how much it would have been in the mid-1990s. It's still not £4K now. The seller is definitely over-estimating the original price.

And I don't like the fabric either.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
anyway, i doubt that someone who could afford £3500 for a jacket is going to be put off by an extra £260 for a few details. people who can pay that amount for clothing live in a different world to me.

digression aside, i like the fabric.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe