Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Before and After Vintage -- Gentlemen

Edward

Bartender
Mr Badger said:
29652_107399109304155_100001022000255_59055_653989_n.jpg

Still rocking, but now sitting down! Otherwise, you can't see the vintage 8mm burlesque movies we project behind us!

That's not in the Bethnal Green Working Men's Club, by any chance?

(I see you're a fellow southpaw player.... nice guitars!)

Regression in Progression

Although there are a variety of routes to vintage we do see from some people a certain sense of searching for a "look" to make their own. Some of us in that search have a specific person that we look up to or simply idolize and use them as a template in that pursuit. We see it in the Indy crowd. Sometimes we hook into a genre for me there was the hard rock / heavy metal stage. (Sorry no pictures I don't have a scanner.)

Some people hook into a genre and never leave it. (There was an era where men maintained the Elvis look long after it served them, much like a mature woman dressing to young to their detriment. Some women learn one way to do their make up or hair and it becomes terribly dated. Men do the same sometimes.)

Others make a series of transitions in a personal search for personal style that is an expression of self. For me the thing was at a certain point I traded in my t-shirts for shirts with collars and jeans for Khakis to express a more mature look. I had a love of vintage ad that moved me to looking for suits and clothes that echoed a vintage style. My love of double breasted suits comes from watching the B&W Superman TV series where even the bad guys dressed well. I was a Little Rascals aficionado and the fashions of the adults always seemed to be better than the present day. As a variety of films came out that portrayed the vintage eras I saw the reference to fashion and style that literally "sang" to me. (It's an odd expression but to me when something is "right" it sings out that it's right, sort of a mental note of that's perfect!) When the Sting came out I saw it as a fashion notebook and bookmarked those images in my head for a long time afterwards. I see fashions of the past such as 1920's thru 50's as better than the more recent past or present.

Much later, I saw Mulholland Falls when it came out on VHS and was compelled to get a fedora. I made the trip from Lakewood to Pasadena to go to the Hatsmart on Colorado Blvd to buy a grey fedora, Got a grey furfelt Stetson (Sovreign) Temple, but wore it rarely because I wanted a grey suit to pair it with, (I still need a grey suit.) A year or two later and I got my dad's Borsalino which needed renovation. That search for info lead me to the Fedora Lounge and under that influence my personal style continues to lean towards vintage in semi-casual to formal dress. (True casual tends to remain shorts and golf shirts because of the Hot weather here but with a fedora for sun protection.)

Now I have about 10 fedoras 2 need renovation and a couple of newsboy caps. My suits and sports jackets team up for a more vintage look and my collection of 1940's bold look ties continues to grow as a area of passion for me. I have a serious Fedora Lounge addiction but seek no rehabilitation because the Fedora Lounge sings to me a syren's song that cannot be ignored.

Have fun everyone and be good to each other.
;)

Jezebel_Amazon

One of the Regulars
Sie sehen schön! It's so nice to see how a haircut can totally transform a man! And with your face structure it looks very good! Charmant! ;)

Flat Foot Floey said:
I had long hair when I was 14....to 19
altq.jpg

then I shaved it off and had a mohwak. only for a short time. no digital pictures. have to find the prints...

Then I let it grow again... oh no. It is not Emo. I am on a Turbo Ac's and Mad Sin concert there.
mittel.jpg

blass007.jpg

In between...no vintage clothes but the right haircut:
flozeitung5nochkleiner.jpg

And I get sad if I don't have the time or money to get my short back and sides lol
vorhernachher02copy.jpg

Now it is like this:

dirk2.jpg

bohemesauvage2010.jpg

florian1loopt.jpg

But I am not full vintage. I wear normal clothes to work and the other stuff to go out or on occassions...or just for fun.

Edit: I gotta remeber the years...tomorrow. I am tired now.

Mr Badger

Practically Family
Edward said:
That's not in the Bethnal Green Working Men's Club, by any chance?

(I see you're a fellow southpaw player.... nice guitars!)

Hey Edward,

Yes, well spotted! It is, indeed, Bethnal Green WMC, albeit a few years back, now...

The Stripchords still gig occasionally, but Kev (bandleader and other guitarist) is usually busy playing with Armitage Shanks (they're on a US tour at the mo') or Vic Goddard's Subway Sect! I'll let you know if we're gigging again soon...

Here's us essaying the Batfink theme at that very gig:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhC5QhVXb8Y

Yes, the guitar's a leftie Eastwood, they're the only maker that consistently facilitates the unnecessary growing of southpaw guitar collections!

Wire9Vintage

A-List Customer
Another gal dropping in to say that you gentlemen are just spectacular. I'm trying to work a similar transformation on my chap!

Best advice, try to find someone from that period he considers a hero and subtly nudge him toward restyling himself after that person--the original idea behind my WWII look and adopting a lot of MacArthur's mannerisms was first as a tool to help me get into his head and then testing a theory about part of his psych makeup, and ever since it's just kinda stuck.

Edward

Bartender
Mr Badger said:
Hey Edward,

Yes, well spotted! It is, indeed, Bethnal Green WMC, albeit a few years back, now...

That big, lighted heart at the back of the stage is pretty distinctive. I think there may be a few more bulbs out since then, though. ;)

The Stripchords still gig occasionally, but Kev (bandleader and other guitarist) is usually busy playing with Armitage Shanks (they're on a US tour at the mo') or Vic Goddard's Subway Sect! I'll let you know if we're gigging again soon...

Please do!

Here's us essaying the Batfink theme at that very gig:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhC5QhVXb8Y

Yes, the guitar's a leftie Eastwood, they're the only maker that consistently facilitates the unnecessary growing of southpaw guitar collections!

Crackin' stuff. Yeah, don't own any Eastwoods yet myself, but love the designs. The fact that they're both much cheaper and significantly better instruments than the originals is a big plus... I do like the Sidejack a lot, though I'm holding out for a lefty of the JR Elite (really hope they do that eventually...).

Mr Badger

Practically Family
Edward said:
Crackin' stuff. Yeah, don't own any Eastwoods yet myself, but love the designs. The fact that they're both much cheaper and significantly better instruments than the originals is a big plus... I do like the Sidejack a lot, though I'm holding out for a lefty of the JR Elite (really hope they do that eventually...).

Sorry about the slight OT turn, folks!

Gotta be careful with Eastwoods, both of mine needed quite a lot of work to get them playing properly - set-ups, new tuners, new bridges, set of replacement picksups on one, changed switches, etc... if you want one, go see Crispin at Regent Sound on Denmark St, he's a great guy and will make sure you get a good 'un...

Now back to the pre-post vintage thread!

BinkieBaumont said:
"Here I am sporting My Ziggy Stardust look in 1974-1975"

4985670033_3e98f2244a_b.jpg

Binky, you're looking like a proper Bowie there - were you a young 'sharpie', by any chance? Funnily enuff, I've been reading a great book about sharpies tonite:

9780980759488.jpg

For non-Aussie FL members, 'sharpies' are an absolutely dynamite Australian street subculture that's been going since mid-1960s and, over the decades, has absorbed many influences - from mod and skinhead through Bowie, the MC5, glam and punk! Personally, I've loved sharpie icon Lobby Loyde's guitar playing since I first head The Purple Hearts a quarter-century ago!

You can get the book here, and there's a factsheet available here.

SGT Rocket

Practically Family
John in Covina, that is a very insightful post. I have a picture of my grandfather and grandmother (on my father's side), and I really look up to him. He was a wise man who lived simply. I've noticed that I have a tendency to copy his style from the 1940's.

I've been doing vintage of some kind or another since I was about 10, did the greaser thing, and slowly worked my way to where I am now. I don't have much for photos, I'll see what I can dig up. Before that, I was your typical farm kid, T-Shirt, Jeans, Work Boots, and a Crew Cut.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Here are three pictures of me that I can recall from 2009. I'm not sure if I've still got anything earlier than that uploaded on the internet. I looked quite shabby compared to today, so here's a "now and then" sort of thing:

February, 2009 (my mustache attempt)
MeFebruary2009.png

May 1, 2009 (longer hair by this point)
MeMarch2009.jpg

December 11, 2009 (a trip to the barber!)
MeDecember2009.jpg

Going forward to around March, 2011, here is what I look like these days:
Photoon2011-02-26at16362.jpg

Photoon2011-02-28at1420.jpg

The main difference is, besides the massive weight loss, that I wear hats more often, and slick my hair now. I also dress better than I used to, with more of a retro bent, mostly 1950s inspired, if I could pinpoint it to any one particular decade. I can't say I'm full vintage either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiedust