Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Beaver Brand Hats

Lion

New in Town
Does anyone know anything about these hats? What do they compare to quality wise? I tried a search, but searching for something with the word "Beaver" in it is not fun.

Leo

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
Well they have been around quite a while but I'm not sure who owns them now. Besdor would probably know. However I have had a couple of their hats. Their lower end hats 5X and below aren't the best and are known to shrink pretty easily in the rain. I've had one of their 10X hats and while it was put together pretty cheaply, the felt was actually pretty good. It was a western style hat that I tried to make a fedora out of. The crown was too high and I tried to shrink it down but wasn't too successful. At first I just got it thoroughly wet and put it by a heater thinking that would do it. Nope, didn't work, so I decided to get drastic and actually poured BOILING water on the crown and believe it or not it did not shrink or taper one bit. It looked exactly the same afterwards. I ended up selling it because I couldn't get it to look right. So the bottom line is, the lower end are indeed lower end and don't waste your money. But apparently they use pretty decent felt on their 10X hats.

Now the clincher is their 10X hats will cost you as much or more than you would pay if you just had a custom made one done for you by either Art Fawcett or Steve Delk.

fedoralover

Kaleponi Craig

A-List Customer
Lion said:
Does anyone know anything about these hats? What do they compare to quality wise? I tried a search, but searching for something with the word "Beaver" in it is not fun.

Leo

Lee Keppler makes a Beaver Brand Indy fedora...

http://www.adventure-supply.com/fedora.htm

They certainly aren't 100% beaver, like Fedora or Art sell. I had mine in a major rainstorm last year and it tapered terribly. But it is a very nice looking lid, nonetheless...KC

Forrestal

One of the Regulars
I thought Langenberg Hat Company of New Haven, Missouri owned the ?¢‚Ǩ?ìBeaver Hat?¢‚Ǩ? brand? They certainly produced a Beaver Hat line for many years.

Anyone know for sure?

Regards,
Forrestal

Biltmore Bob

Suspended
I had a Beaver Brand hat back in the 70s. It was a silver belly 3 1/4 brimmed western hat. It had a sort of 'loose teardrop' crown. It was very nice soft felt with very little stiffener. Great sweat band with a celluloid band behind it. I wor it for about ten years and it finally ended up looking li Jed Clampetts hat, I wore it every waking hour unless I was in uniform. It had been to Korea, Phillipines, Okinawa, Panama, Spain, Italy, Sicily, and a few other places. I used to roll it up in my seabag and take it with me. That was a great hat, but alas, they don't make them like that anymore.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
I thought perhaps a revival in tribute to the company would be in order? This one is old, and considerably lacking in examples; am I missing a different already-existing thread?

One of my favorite hats is this Beaver Brand 5X "Classic" in sand.

003au.jpg

Walt

One of the Regulars
I thought perhaps a revival in tribute to the company would be in order? This one is old, and considerably lacking in examples; am I missing a different already-existing thread?

One of my favorite hats is this Beaver Brand 5X "Classic" in sand.

Nice hat. Does this one have a model name associated with it? I believe "Classic" is used by them to refer to their felt grade, but I could be wrong and it could be it refers to the styling of certain hats they sell.

Too bad this company is closing their doors this Wednesday (10/31/12). Maybe a buyer will restart them and keep things going there (fingers crossed).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld