Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Beading? Anyone Do This?

Inky

One Too Many
I have done a lot of beadwork in the past, primarily off-loom bead weaving and bead embroidery,which is what's on those dresses.

It's not a skill of the past, there are many amazing bead artists out there. It is time consuming, and therefore expensive, assuming it's good that is ;)

If you can do a back stitch in sewing or embroidery, you can repair your garment fairly successfully.

Shirin

A-List Customer
I ♥ ♥ ♥ beaded vintage items!
I can sew them on pretty well, but Inky is right, it does take forever. I used to make some my own belly dance costumes, and beading/laying sequins was a huge part of it.

P

Paul

Foofoogal said:
I have a thing for heavily beaded vintage clothing. Does anyone do this type of work. Is it totally a thing of the past? I have a fab 1960s dress with beading but a place is missing beads. What to do with it? [huh] I know this takes skill to do correctly.
http://www.sandysfancypants.blogspot.com

there is a little about beaded dresses here
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=34987

I think it is still popular in fashions styles wise today just so expensive to for manufactures to do.

MissAmelina

A-List Customer
I used to do beadwork in my hippie dippie daze....lots of fun. There are a ton of resources out there now---even specialty beading shops (where you may easily spend your whole paycheck.) :) It's pretty easy, once you get started. I would love to get back into it, and bead up some cardigans. The vintage ones are getting too durned expensive, and the ones that I own are beginning to fall apart and need repair. But I think I have enough hobbies to focus on for the next year or two..... hehe. Good luck!

swingkitten85

Familiar Face
I've dabbled in beading in the past, but since I already have so many other hobbies, I haven't focused on it as much as I'd like! I do adore vintage beading though, and have spent some time researching the techniques. Particularly for beading large areas of fabric (think 1920s dresses or the large sections of beaded decoration on 50s cardigans). So far, the most time-efficiant and sturdy way I've discovered in using a beads strung onto a sturdy thread and basically chain stitching them onto the fabric using a small crochet hook. I'm eager to try it! I have a steel blue cardigan that I think would look swell with a bit of fancying up!

swingkitten85

Familiar Face
I finally found a gorgeous little beaded cardigan last summer at a thrift shop. It's not vintage, but very much in the spirit of the 50s styles! I was happy enough to settle for that, since the Thrifting Fates seem to keep me from finding a proper, vintage one. lol!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe