Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

b!wear Newsboy

Wild Root

Gone Home
Fly in the ointment.

For some reason, I’m not impressed with B! Wear caps. From looking at the original period caps I have in my collection, they seem to lay flat and kind of wide which is an authentic look… well, naturally because they are authentic.

I have only seen two repops that looked correct… they both were cheaply made caps sold at Aardvark’s vintage clothing but, they laid right and gave the correct period look.

=WR=

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Aaron Hats said:
Not to take anything from bWear but we carry authentic Harris Tweed Ivy and Newsboy caps made in the USA. We have a couple left over from last winter and our new delivery is expected around Sept. 1. We'll have at least six patterns.

This is the label in the cap, each with its own serial number.
HarrisTweedLogo.jpg

Bartenders, feel free to remove if this is considered a commercial post.

I wonder why the use the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch as their logo. lol

J.B.

Practically Family
Tony in Tarzana said:
I wonder why the use the Holy Hand Grenade as their logo. lol
IIRC, the holy hand grenade is what put the "Authority" in The Harris Tweed Authority?! [huh] :icon_smil

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
I'm not sure it is Brett's intent to copy vintage caps. He has his own style that is pretty cool. For me, he bent over backwards to fill my requests that were off the usual path.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Well, I think he should copy the vintage caps... I feel they look perfect.;) I wish there was some one who was making them just as the originals with leather sweats and satin liners and yes, cardboard brims! I want to see them get warn in and have that real depression era look!

=WR=

PS. Photos soon to come...

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Root, it would be an excellent project for you to take on. Teach us exactly what makes a vintage cap unique, and see if we can get one made. I certainly don't want to speak for Brett, and as I said, he has his great looking cap nailed down, but perhaps he or another cap maker would be willing to take a shot?

B! Wear Cap

New in Town
B! Wear

WR,
If you want to send me one of the caps that you are describing I will take a look at it and we can discuss replicating it. I make the best cap I can, but you are correct in saying that it is not a repro. If a number of people on the Lounge are interested I would be happy to take a shot at it. The only difficulty that I forsee is that given the aging process and the difference in textiles an exact copy may not be possible. Sometimes when customers have an idea in their mind's eye, reality can never catch up to it. You can reach me at bwear@yosemite.net or 209-966-5343.
Thanks,
Brett

Mike1973

A-List Customer
my ideal cap...

clooney.jpg

o_brother0.jpg

And after some google surfing, under stuff like empire state construction workers, lewis hines, etc...

repairing.jpg

hanging.jpg

bolting.jpg

construction3.jpg

And here are a few pics of my Millar I bought about 5 years ago, and worn every winter since.

flatcap2.jpg

flatcap1.jpg

It's nearly there, but not quite.... I think it needs to be a different material to get the shape right? It's definatley worn in, but still feels a bit 'blousey', if you know what I mean? I'd like it to be flatter.... maybe it's just the shape of the wearers head, and I'm chasing an impossible ideal :eusa_doh:
Root, I think we're singing from the same hymn sheet, I'd be really interested in seeing some of your originals.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Here's a few...

Sorry it took me so long gents, I've been a busy man.

This one is of my 40's linen cap I won off of ebay last year... I really like this cap!

newsboybn6.jpg

Here's a photo of me wearing my very first one, it's light blue wool with a dark green windowpane pattern... this is my top favorite hat!

newsboy2iy7.jpg

Both of these hats are 8 panels... I have two that are one piece and also another 8 that I haven't photos of... I'll take some good detailed photos later today after the battery on the camera is charged.

B!wear caps, I want to say that I would be more then happy to show you some of my caps, I'm very excited about this prospect! I'm glad you're here and look forward to working with you in a project;) Some times I may sound rude but, I'm really not at all like that. I have original caps and just love the way they feel and look above all. With your skills and know how, I'm sure a fantastic cap could be made! I know there are companies in Japan who are reproducing EXACT copies of WWII HBT caps and they're as spot on as one could get... now, if we paid enough attention to details and I'm pretty sure we can find fabric that does come very close to original fabric, we could put some good stuff out there on the market!

More photos to come...

=WR=

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Great pics Root, thanks!

Something I've always been curious about: Most of us today, when we get a new ballcap, right away bend the bill into a curve. Did guys bend their flat cals that way? I always assumed that some did (and I do that with mine and it looks very like Clooney's in that first pic), but I rarely see a picture like that. It seems like they left them straight more often than not.
Old caps also seem to be deeper or lower at the back, rather than going straight all the way round - is that correct?.

Lets see some sweatbands, linings, panel line-up, brands, etc. :)

Wild Root

Gone Home
Glad you like the photos!

Yes, the vintage caps seem to be cut different! I'm not sure how but, they do always look different then what I have seen made today.

As for bending the bill, I have seen many photos of guys that have bent them and tweaked them mostly due to stuffing them into their back pockets and holding them when taking them off.

Now, B!Wear Caps, I'm not sure if I can send a cap to you, I don't trust the mail system very well... I'm sure I could trust you with them but, these caps are very rare and I'd be crushed if one should ever become lost or destroyed some how. However, I will do this for you, I will take great detailed photos of the best caps and I'll email them to you! I will also measure parts of them so you will have a good idea of what the dimensions are.

If you ever find yourself in southern CA, please let me know, I'd be more then happy to show you the caps I have and we could talk about this idea more.

=WR=

crazylegsmurphy

One of the Regulars
I'm not really seeing the difference though. To me (aside from the caps having more panels it seems) they hats look almost identical. All the people wearing b! Wear caps seem to just pull the material further forward and down on the sides.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Well, let's compare shall we?

Barry, I hope you don't mind me using one of your photos for this test...:D

camel2.jpg

newsboy2iy7.jpg

I see quite a bit of difference if you ask me. It's all in the way the hat's fabric holds shape. The original is flatter and Barry's cap is taller. Different styles I'd say. For me, I feel the vintage caps fit me better, reflects what I have seen in scores of movies and the like.

If B!Wear is reading this, please don't take this the wrong way, I think your caps look good but, it's not my personal style. I feel the flat, more drape style is me.

=WR=

Wild Root

Gone Home
Mike1973 said:
flatcap2.jpg

flatcap1.jpg

It's nearly there, but not quite.... I think it needs to be a different material to get the shape right? It's definatley worn in, but still feels a bit 'blousey', if you know what I mean? I'd like it to be flatter.... maybe it's just the shape of the wearers head, and I'm chasing an impossible ideal :eusa_doh:
Root, I think we're singing from the same hymn sheet, I'd be really interested in seeing some of your originals.

You know what Mike1973, I think that cap looks pretty authentic! You wear it well and I like that tweed too!

=WR=

B! Wear Cap said:
WR,
If you want to send me one of the caps that you are describing I will take a look at it and we can discuss replicating it. I make the best cap I can, but you are correct in saying that it is not a repro. If a number of people on the Lounge are interested I would be happy to take a shot at it. The only difficulty that I forsee is that given the aging process and the difference in textiles an exact copy may not be possible. Sometimes when customers have an idea in their mind's eye, reality can never catch up to it. You can reach me at bwear@yosemite.net or 209-966-5343.
Thanks,
Brett

So you might be able to do my Big Apple project? :D I'd be willing to send that one away. :D

Regards,

J

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe