Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Attempt at Panama Reblock

NewMexExpat

One of the Regulars
My Montecristi from panamabob was blocked in Ecuador. Last night I tried reblocking it to more of a C-crown, trying to get a little more height in front and emphasizing that with as much rake to the back as possible. Tools were a steam iron, a small metal mixing bowl, a Mr. Coffee Ice Tea Pot (as a pedestal/block, not for steam), cheesecloth, and books for weight. Here are comparison shots. (originals on left, new block on right)

MCFront.jpg
NewBlockFront.jpg

MCLeft.jpg
NewBlockLeft.jpg

MCCrown.jpg
NewBlockCrown.jpg

MCOnHead.jpg
NewBlockOnHead.jpg

Several times, I was really worried that I had just ruined a good hat, but I'm fairly pleased with how it turned out, even though the difference is not as dramatic as I had hoped. I have some narrower grosgrain, so next I want to try following Fortino37's tutorial on ribbon replacement http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?p=120088&highlight=band#post120088 (As a Bonus: the heat rejuvenated the fragrance of the hat. I really like the way the sulphur leaves the hats smelling; not too strong, but clean and crisp.)

Regards,

- Mark

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
You did nicely my friend.

Nice job on the look. It looks better now than before. I prefer a much much taller crown. My straws all have 50% taller crowns. Some look "over the top", but it compliments the almost 3 inch brim.

Some of my straws are "moldy", and I suspect it was the stiffening agent. I used woolite to clean one of my first straws. The block is not too satisfactory.

I have to send it up to Oregon for someone who has (MY) proper block:p

I wish I never traded the block to you Art, but I KNOW you have made a hundred hats using it. A true vintage panama block in 7 3/8's is hard to find.

Wanna trade back? ;)

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
I've learned here that when you reblock a felt hat, you can gain some crown height by sacrificing brim width. Is the same true for straws?

I'm guessing it isn't, since Panama bodies are woven with the crown-and-brim shape built in, rather than the conical shape of a felt hat body. But if I'm wrong, I'd love to know it.

NewMexExpat

One of the Regulars
Thanks

All the comments are appreciated.

PB - I knew (from reading you, Sharpie and others) that I wouldn't "ruin" the hat, but feared I would change the shape beyond my ability to decently re-shape. (That's when to call in a Professional, huh?)

Orgetorix - "... ... you can gain some crown height by sacrificing brim width... ..." I thought I'd read that here, too, but regarding Panamas. Something I'm very curious about. I think I'd be happy to make that sort of "sacrifice" on this hat.

Andykev - I've admired jamespowers' and your Panamas blocked by Art. Is the block you are talking about the same as the one used on Absinthe_1900's recently posted Panama? http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=17608

(I haven't seen yours in awhile, and don't remember the exact shape -- just that it was quite special and had a really nice ribbon. [Department of Redundancy Department: Blocked by Art; a really nice ribbon. :eusa_doh: ])

Regards to all,

- Mark

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Nice job NewMex..
Orgetorix, yes you can gain height by reducing brim width in a panama, I do it all the time. You just have to be careful to get the "balance" right in the hat. Too tall or too short doesn't get it.
Andy?? trade WHAT block? hehe Did I get a panama block from you?? (still working on getting your conformer)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe