Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Attack of the spread collars

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Everywhere I look from London to LA you see pics of spread collars with double cuff shirts. I was lucky when i found some point collar double cuffs at Brooks Brothers a year ago though they discontinued the style. From looking at old movies I see that point collars and double cuffs were more standard.

What happened?

Outside of having them made who makes a good point collar double cuff off the rack?

north155-vi.jpg

Jay

Practically Family
North by Northwest. Classic. I'd also like to know, Matt. That way I can show off my Ace of Spades cufflinks.

GateXC

One of the Regulars
Except that Hackman's collar isn't a spread collar....it's a regular pointed one and he has the top button of his shirt unbuttoned.

The spread collar has gotten more popular with the strong influence of european (esp. British) fashion in America over the last several years. I find the spread collar allows much more versatility in the type of knot that I can wear, but as Feraud pointed out - this is moot if the tie itself is a thin material - and then no matter if it's a double-full-windsor, the knot is still going to get lost.

As a personal matter of taste though, I wear a spread collar almost exclusively.

jml90

One of the Regulars
I think the spread collar is a better look. Point collars just seem run of the mill.

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
Actually, I have found that spread collars have become "run of the mill" these days, along with the ubiquitous button-down collar. I like the look of contemporary 4-in-hands with the spread collar, especially if it is stiff enough to stand up. It sort of simulates how an old tie looks with a collar pin. I honestly can't stand the giant Windsor knots that are popular these days. They're so 70's.

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Very appropriate title for the thread, Matt

About five years ago, the spread collar invaded Sydney, and immediately took over, to the point where this past half-decade there has been no variety and no choice when it comes to French cuff chirts. You can have an extreme spread collar with your French cuffs, or you can have an even more extreme spread collar. That is all.

All I'm asking for is a bit of variety. Out of all the shirt makers - Ganton, Pelaco, Van Heusen, GloWeave, etc. - only one offers a straight collar with French cuffs, and only then in white. (I can't recall which brand it is, though!).

Indy Magnoli has developed a long-collared shirt like Jack Nicholson sports in Chinatown. I think my next dress shirt will be from his shop. Knowing Indy, he'll be happy to accommodate diffrent collar styles and fabrics, and i know the shirt will fit right, too.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Mr Maltby said:
being a fan of the 60s style, and narrow ties, my vote goes to the point collar.

The PoW seems to pull off the narrow tie, spread collar combo. No?

jml90

One of the Regulars
Ghos7a55assin said:
Actually, I have found that spread collars have become "run of the mill" these days, along with the ubiquitous button-down collar. I like the look of contemporary 4-in-hands with the spread collar, especially if it is stiff enough to stand up with the use of a collar bar. It sort of simulates how an old tie looks with a collar pin. I honestly can't stand the giant Windsor knots that are popular these days. They're so 70's.

That's funny I can't find any.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe