Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Air Wing Marine

One of the Regulars
Mike at Northwest made this beautiful "early thirties" fedora to my specs a couple of years ago. He was a pleasure to deal with, and the quality of this 100% beaver hat for only about $75 more than an off-the-shelf Stetson is simply awesome. I seem to recall it was about three or four months from first contact to delivery. I'm no expert on custom hats - Northwest is that only custom hater I have dealt with - but I'd order another from him in a second.

View attachment 139921
Wow, what a beautiful hat. What color is it? Could you share with me the dimensions and crown style?

Air Wing Marine

One of the Regulars
Sure... The color is Silver Mist, with same-color brim-edge binding. A 2-inch black ribbon. 2-5/8" snap brim, and I think it's a 5-3/4" crown without creasing. Just a center-dent crease, without front or side dents. Brown sweatband and NW logo white liner on the inside. Size is 7-1/8.
Thanks for the description. This will be my first custom hat. My first hat as an adult was a Cuenca straw I bought in Manta, Ecuador in 1992 or 93. I wore that hat in the Andes, the Amazon in Peru and KZN in South Africa and various other less desirable locales. It brought me good luck. It was disintegrating and I finally retired it last year.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Hi Gents,
Is there a thread here just for strictly gray/grey/shades of silver hats?
It seems Gray is the most, well favoured as it's a classic color of hat that can be worn with almost anything from suits to jeans in general.:D
That would be my first and foremost color of hat with brown and black then tan in order etc.:cool:

Thanks,
Ro

Maybe not exactly what you are looking for, but worth a peruse, none the less:

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/gray-grey-grrrraaayyyy.7125/

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Are garage sales and estate sales still good for finding "diamonds in the rough" or with the aid of the internet does "granny" now want three prices for grand dads worn out old Stetson?

Are garage sales and estate sales still good for finding "diamonds in the rough" or with the aid of the internet does "granny" now want three prices for grand dads worn out old Stetson?

I've found some good deals at estate sales, but they are few and far between. Finding anything that fits is a challenge (size 7-1/2 to 7-5/8). Off brands are the best deals as everyone knows Stetson. This is OK as many times the non-Stetson is a much better hat!

I seem to do better at obscure on-line auctions or local auctions.

It's hit and miss, but I find things at estate sales and antique shops. But like Bama said, you need to be persistent.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

Air Wing Marine

One of the Regulars
I’ve looked on Ebay
This seems to work on other sites, so I figure that it deserves a shot here.

If you've got a quick hat question and don't see a thread for it, just post it here. Whether the question is about cleaning, anatomy of a hat, brands, etc., this is the place.

Here's one to break the ice.
1919-1940ArentsCigaretteCards.jpg
1919-1940ArentsCigaretteCardsback.jpg

Any suggestions for ribbon colors for a camel and a granite colored hats?

The best thing to do is to look at photos of hats that others have posted. Learn to use the Google search function rather that the site’s search tool and look for similar hats. You can also just start going through old threads, but start with the most current and work back as many of the old posts no longer have working photos. I have files of hundreds of screenshots of hats others have posted that I use for ideas for customs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiedust