Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

CommonTerri

New in Town
Thank you! I've been selling on Ebay for over 10 years and I'm usually pretty self-sufficient, but I'm a relative newbie when it comes to hats and I was stumped by a couple of things while trying to research this one.

1. It's labeled as a "Pocket Hat", yet when searching this term, all roads seemed to lead to a foldable version with a triangular case, not this one.

2. I'm assuming the size is a 6 and not a 9. Do you think it's what's referred to as Punti Sizing?

3. What's the most accurate way for me to take a measurement? Measure along the top edge of the sweatband after it's been flipped up? You already taught me something as I wouldn't have thought of flipping the sweatband up. In this case, the only other information there is a very blurry number.

4. Is there a specific name to describe the ribbed texture?

Now, I'll attempt to post some photos. Remember, you asked for lots of them:)

18-262-1.JPG
18-262-2.JPG
18-262-3.JPG
18-262-4.JPG
18-262-5.JPG
18-262-6.JPG
18-262-7.JPG
18-262-8.JPG
18-262-9.JPG
18-262-9a.JPG

The 6 is indeed French Punti sizing units. Strange that the red stamping on the sweat looks to be a 6 and then some fraction.

Pocket hats are common and usually have a cloth or unreeded leather sweatband that allowed them to be folded up. The proportions of yours are not what most of us look for; regardless of quality, such hats rarely bring more than a modest price.

Try using google to search the Lounge. Some add “fedora Lounge” to their search, but I just search the Lounge first and use the google search feature:

9e9c15d7103dea9b150c6af2353f043a.png

The 6 is indeed French Punti sizing units. Strange that the red stamping on the sweat looks to be a 6 and then some fraction.

Pocket hats are common and usually have a cloth or unreeded leather sweatband that allowed them to be folded up. The proportions of yours are not what most of us look for; regardless of quality, such hats rarely bring more than a modest price.

Try using google to search the Lounge. Some add “fedora Lounge” to their search, but I just search the Lounge first and use the google search feature:

9e9c15d7103dea9b150c6af2353f043a.png
It's actually French Point. It's a French size unit not Italian.

There are 1/4 Point units but I don't they were used post WWII.

Der Filzhut (The Felt Hat), seine Geschichte und seine Herstellung (Its History and Preparation). Hrsg.v.d. Deutschen Hutmacher-Zeitung (German Hat Maker Newspaper). 1936

16778799247_74b84c0d7a_b.jpg

Here are couple examples. Weite = Size

9584620444_10a5637cd5_b.jpg

35635152212_e4048d48b5_b.jpg
Wonderful information Steve. Even if the OR doesn't appreciate or understand it, I am a better collector due to your knowledge.

I’m a 7 5/8 to 7 3/4 and I’ve passed on a few so I figured they couldn’t be that rare. Maybe the stars just aligned?

The term "pocket hat" has been used around the Fedora Lounge to describe Borsalino hats in export boxes. Borsalino hats with the sweatband imprinted "Pocket Hat" do not seem to be that common, and those with a grosgrain rather than leather sweatband - I remember seeing two over the years I've been around.

The term "pocket hat" has been used around the Fedora Lounge to describe Borsalino hats in export boxes. Borsalino hats with the sweatband imprinted "Pocket Hat" do not seem to be that common, and those with a grosgrain rather than leather sweatband - I remember seeing two over the years I've been around.

Thank you for this. I read the pocket hat thread and the linked info in the Borsalino Brotherhood. I was most certainly guilty of labeling all “foldaway” types as pocket hats. I do enjoy the ongoing education and appreciate the willingness of others to share what they know. Thanks again,

Brent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe