Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
Hi Tim- thank you for your response. I assume your suggestions apply to 7-3/8 as well? Or should I be looking for a 7-5/8 for some reason? (I'm a 7-3/8)
I had some sort of vision, or dyslexic senior moment I reckon;... I looked back to see the post just now.. No Sir, you buy the size you require and excuse my mis-read.

But I'll say yes too, that it applies to 7-3/8 and any "sweet spot" size.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

MondoFW

Practically Family
When did the cheaply made, short brimmed, low crowned, "fedora" people today have come to known become popular? I've seen movies from the late 50s that portray few characters sporting these trillbies. Personally, I just think this style of hat is horrible and isn't true to what the fedora used to be.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Yes and just two engines

all of mine and all of the pins I’ve ever seen look like this

Can you show me an example of one facing the opposite direction ?

fc576db07b482f3d250f744a7d77544b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some hat block questions
1) other than the venerable #52, is there block profile number I should be looking for that's good for a straight sided crown?
2) anybody have experience with Hatters Supply House? They offer new wooden blocks: https://www.hatterssupplyhouse.com/hat-blocks
Yes, @Jlee - I found a block being used as a pocket knife holder, in a antique shop, it's #152 and is 6 inch tall.

I swapped him a scrappy block worthy of a fire, that I had in the car.

I made that 7 -1/2 curled, boss of the plains, type build in silverbelly with it.

I might send it for cloning, and I will use Mark at Hatterssupply, for the project.

I recently recieved, 2 special design flanges also. They are well made.

Im currently having a block made to do a Open Road request. Where I need a 7-3/8 long oval, a finished size in hat terms. And I don't have an appropriate block, thus this purchase. Also a LO flange is ordered, 2-3/4 to 3" brim, to accommodate the block and this order I just received.

I've sent several folks his way. Good man to do business with. Highly recommended top quality, very well thought out construction.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
so I just spent some time scouring the internet for Stratoliner ads

I found I believe 9 of them ... 6 of them showed the pin facing left and 3 showed no pin on the hat at all (all 3 of those being drawings)

can someone provide a Stratoliner ad where the pin faces right ?

I am truly curious and would love to see one

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Yes, @Jlee - I found a block being used as a pocket knife holder, in a antique shop, it's #152 and is 6 inch tall.

I swapped him a scrappy block worthy of a fire, that I had in the car.

I made that 7 -1/2 curled, boss of the plains, type build in silverbelly with it.

I might send it for cloning, and I will use Mark at Hatterssupply, for the project.

I recently recieved, 2 special design flanges also. They are well made.

Im currently having a block made to do a Open Road request. Where I need a 7-3/8 long oval, a finished size in hat terms. And I don't have an appropriate block, thus this purchase. Also a LO flange is ordered, 2-3/4 to 3" brim, to accommodate the block and this order I just received.

I've sent several folks his way. Good man to do business with. Highly recommended top quality, very well thought out construction.

Thanks, Tim, that's immensely helpful.

I've got one or two 'project' 6 7/8 hats that I bought intending to have sized up, but just never did. Figured I could give it a shot.

Thanks, Tim, that's immensely helpful.

I've got one or two 'project' 6 7/8 hats that I bought intending to have sized up, but just never did. Figured I could give it a shot.
You're welcome Jared

I sent you a PM, with some good details for sourcing the correct block size, new or used, and some trickery to work with what you have, if it is close.

I'll generalize here, now.
Vintage vary, I have 2 #52 blocks AND both are 7-1/8 size stamped. One, the circumference is 22" and the other is 22-3/4 and again both are size marked, 7-1/8.

That example, makes buying a block on ebay a challange, to a person who does not know in reality, what is needed, to pull off a build for their given HAT SIZE.

RJR

You're welcome Jared

I sent you a PM, with some good details for sourcing the correct block size, new or used, and some trickery to work with what you have, if it is close.

I'll generalize here, now.
Vintage vary, I have 2 #52 blocks AND both are 7-1/8 size stamped. One, the circumference is 22" and the other is 22-3/4 and again both are size marked, 7-1/8.

That example, makes buying a block on ebay a challange, to a person who does not know in reality, what is needed, to pull off a build for their given HAT SIZE.

Good information,Tim.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe