Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Ok... I have many vintage Stratoliner pins ... they all look like this

49be6cd5fc66a326eb1eeeb0c2a9555f.jpg

I today received a very nice late 40s/early 50s Strat (photos later) and it came with this pin

Never seen one like this... any info?

Text on the back says “sterling” ... as in silver I presume

feb86fa8132274913ff7dc17372e88c6.jpg

68c6a52b5095d36dcd8cb08013aa54c5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Some hat block questions
1) other than the venerable #52, is there block profile number I should be looking for that's good for a straight sided crown?
2) anybody have experience with Hatters Supply House? They offer new wooden blocks: https://www.hatterssupplyhouse.com/hat-blocks

I have a couple 81 blocks that are quite straight

as straight as a 52 I once owned but about 1/2” shorter

dc5f511d4e2c872131dcf14537a0434f.jpg

205fdfb883ba93378f5498897ff8d255.jpg

Ok... I have many vintage Stratoliner pins ... they all look like this

49be6cd5fc66a326eb1eeeb0c2a9555f.jpg

I today received a very nice late 40s/early 50s Strat (photos later) and it came with this pin

Never seen one like this... any info?

Text on the back says “sterling” ... as in silver I presume

feb86fa8132274913ff7dc17372e88c6.jpg

68c6a52b5095d36dcd8cb08013aa54c5.jpg

Now that is a proper Boeing Stratoliner, not a DC-3 like most. Was this the pin from the early days of Strat Production?

I'm a 7 3/8/59cm hat size, which I've learned here is a pretty common, yet more difficult to come by size on Vintage hats.
Finding a pristine 7-5/8 hat, not an easy score. I have several 40s Stetsons and a Borso, and 8 to 10 years back they were rare as hens teeth, and through the roof in price. Now it's outrageous cost, when you find one, that is special in a sense.
I'd venture a guess though, that you can get a great custom beaver built, for less than the price of one, pristine 7-5/8 and still have some money for the market.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

My question is so trivial that rather than start a new thread, I thought I'd just ask here.

I have to travel to California for the week on business. I can take only one hat. As a veteran traveler, I can pack everything I need for a week into a single suitcase. I am very good at color coordinating, so my attire will be a mix of navy blue blazer, two grey slacks and one pair of khakis, and an assortment of shirts the go with them. So, what is the best hat to wear? My choices are:
  • Grey Flechet fedora
  • Brown Mallory Eagle
  • Oxblood fedora (Bailey)
  • Loden Green fedora (Bailey)
  • Navy Blue pork pie (Hats in the Belfry)
  • Black fedora (Sterkowski)
  • Black fedora (Selentino)
I'm leaning toward one of the two black fedoras (the Selentino has a slighty wider brim). I've used spacers to make the Flechet fit, but both the Sterkowski and the Selentino just mold themselves to my head.

Your opinions, please?
I'd lean, toward the choice of gray. IMHO.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Now that is a proper Boeing Stratoliner, not a DC-3 like most. Was this the pin from the early days of Strat Production?

That is precisely what I am asking

all of my others look like the first picture

I’m wondering if this is possibly an earlier production?

The seller claims it is original to the hat ... and he seems quite knowledgeable... I was wondering if he was someone among us

That is precisely what I am asking

all of my others look like the first picture

I’m wondering if this is possibly an earlier production?

The seller claims it is original to the hat ... and he seems quite knowledgeable... I was wondering if he was someone among us

Do we know when production of the Statoliner began? This pin is a true artifact Anthony. I have searched this topic on the lounge before, dreaming of a vintage Strat for my collection. You have another showpiece in your exemplary collection. The original Boeing Stratoliner would be concurrent with my estimation of first production, this pin is true to the actual aircraft, a real beauty that was eclipsed by the Douglas DC-3 in production. Boeing used the airframe of the B-17 Bomber and a passenger fuselage to create the Stratoliner from the Flying Fortress.

Stratoliner.jpg

Some hat block questions
1) other than the venerable #52, is there block profile number I should be looking for that's good for a straight sided crown?
2) anybody have experience with Hatters Supply House? They offer new wooden blocks: https://www.hatterssupplyhouse.com/hat-blocks
If you go on the Leon Drexler website he shows graphics of the4 blocks he uses.

Fivesense

One of the Regulars
Finding a pristine 7-5/8 hat, not an easy score. I have several 40s Stetsons and a Borso, and 8 to 10 years back they were rare as hens teeth, and through the roof in price. Now it's outrageous cost, when you find one, that is special in a sense.
I'd venture a guess though, that you can get a great custom beaver built, for less than the price of one, pristine 7-5/8 and still have some money for the market.

Hi Tim- thank you for your response. I assume your suggestions apply to 7-3/8 as well? Or should I be looking for a 7-5/8 for some reason? (I'm a 7-3/8)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe