Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

khanoom

New in Town
Hello. A quick question. Is the hat James Franco is wearing in this picture a fedora?

Thanks.

07-11-22-63.w529.h352.jpg

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Hello. A quick question. Is the hat James Franco is wearing in this picture a fedora?

Thanks.

07-11-22-63.w529.h352.jpg
It depends on the town you come from. If your parents called it a fedora, it's probably a fedora. If they called it a trilby, it's probably a trilby. If they called it "en blød hat" (a soft hat), then that's probably what it is - and you come from somewhere in Denmark.

The type-name of a hat is dependant on the culture, in which it's used. Not even Brits and Americans agree on fedora/trilby.

It's a trilby, if you want to call it a trilby. If not, it's a fedora. If not that either, you're probably not from the US or the UK :)

Epemethius

New in Town
Do you wear a hat every day, like, you would not think of going without one? Do you have an everyday style or rotate through the collection?

I am looking for a daily hat and wondering if this style has a its own name? The kind you see in black and white movies with a PRESS card in it. High crown, pinch front, generous brim, medium grey.

Then a bowler when I feel like it. They are now distinctive though they used to be worn by all classes.

Currently an 8-panel is my daily driver, unfortunately not without a snap, the working man's hat for decades. Just starting to find clothing I like instead of whatever "they" say. Colors. Abstract-painted cravats instead of striped ties. Fedoras and flannel shirts.

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
I don't have a bunch of Hats anymore , and I'm New getting into Dress Hats , but it depends on what I'm doing and where I'm going . Usually around here I'm still wearing a Western , or my Akubra Bushman , but for more dressier occasions , Church , Town (depending on where) , I wear a Stetson Open Road . But I have a couple coming , a Stetson Premier Stratoliner , and a Taupe Fawn Campdraft from Akubra that I'll rotate into that mix . I think both are going to be kind of a Pecan type color , now I kind of wish I'd ordered the Premier Strat in Mink , Oh Well , we'll see .

That sounds like a lot of different Brand Hats , Stetson Stratoliners in Caribou (gray) , Whippet (the little sister) , or the Stetsonian (Big Sis) . Other styles fit the Bill , too . And Akubra for the money are hard to beat , Fed IV , Fedora (AKA Sidney) , Bogart , others might fit the Ticket . But there are other Brands , and Custom Hatters that can make exactly what you're wanting from a Picture , I'm sure . If you post a Picture someone here can probably tell you what it is .

Welcome Epemethius to FL !

Do you wear a hat every day, like, you would not think of going without one? Do you have an everyday style or rotate through the collection?
Almost every day, yes. Compared to most of the members here my hat "collection" is extremely modest, so you'd find me wearing an Akubra Federation IV, an Akubra Campdraft, or a "Newsboy" flat cap.

I am looking for a daily hat and wondering if this style has a its own name? The kind you see in black and white movies with a PRESS card in it. High crown, pinch front, generous brim, medium grey.
The fedora was probably the most common style of men's hats during the 1930s and 1940s, but they came/come in a wide variety of colors and dimensions--tall crown, low crown, tapered crown, non-tapered crown, wide brim, narrow brim, wide ribbon, thin ribbon, bound brim, raw brim, etc., etc., etc.. The simple answer would be, "Shop around to see what you like," but you'll need to be patient simply because there are so many to choose from. And, of course, once you determine what you like and which style of fedora looks "right" on you, there are a number of brilliant hatters here who would be happy to make a hat to your exact specifications for you.

Welcome to the slippery slope! Bring cash. And I'd suggest you start clearing some space in your home now to store your hats when you're not wearing them. :D

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
Almost every day, yes. Compared to most of the members here my hat "collection" is extremely modest, so you'd find me wearing an Akubra Federation IV, an Akubra Campdraft, or a "Newsboy" flat cap.

The fedora was probably the most common style of men's hats during the 1930s and 1940s, but they came/come in a wide variety of colors and dimensions--tall crown, low crown, tapered crown, non-tapered crown, wide brim, narrow brim, wide ribbon, thin ribbon, bound brim, raw brim, etc., etc., etc.. The simple answer would be, "Shop around to see what you like," but you'll need to be patient simply because there are so many to choose from. And, of course, once you determine what you like and which style of fedora looks "right" on you, there are a number of brilliant hatters here who would be happy to make a hat to your exact specifications for you.

Welcome to the slippery slope! Bring cash. And I'd suggest you start clearing some space in your home now to store your hats when you're not wearing them. :D

Al the Zom's links (yellow) to those Akubras fit what you're looking for ! Click on them and check them out ! Tough to beat a Fed IV or Campdraft , I ordered my first Campdraft from them at hatsdirect.com , I think they're the only AU dealer that carries the Fed IV , davidmorgan.com is the US distributor (Great Customer Service) , but higher priced (Really Nice Folks !). And hatsdirect.com The Hattery , too ! I think the Adventurer by Akubra is what David Morgan sells , but they have vids on youtube at David Morgan Channel , they show the Indy Style Bash and tell what Hat , they'll bash it for you , too , but costs $20 , I think .

Last edited:

Then a bowler when I feel like it. They are now distinctive though they used to be worn by all classes.

Currently an 8-panel is my daily driver, unfortunately not without a snap, the working man's hat for decades. Just starting to find clothing I like instead of whatever "they" say. Colors. Abstract-painted cravats instead of striped ties. Fedoras and flannel shirts.
Yep, every single day. I have a barn hat, Akubra Boss of the Plains (looks like Jimmy Stewart's cowboy hat), used to feed horses & muck out stalls plus any tractor/bushhog/fencework chores. Then I have a "go-to" hat to wear into town or where I'll run into "citizens", basically an Open Road style (still a "country" hat). Lastly are my "dress" hats = all my customs or top end factory lids.

Epemethius

New in Town
thank you all. Glad to see hats are now clothes. Many young people around this college town are stuck on the little Trilbys and have gone no further.
Al the Zom's links (yellow) to those Akubras fit what you're looking for ! Click on them and check them out ! Tough to beat a Fed IV or Campdraft , ...
The Federation IV looks like they took everyone's expectations of a fedora and distilled them down to a well-balanced design. The campdraft was a surprise - it looks a primitive prairie hat but I could see myself wearing it occasionally, now I am more comfortable with myself. And thank you for the Newsboy link. I am simply going ahead to order the extra full cut. No snaps! I can push it around to my style.

I'm currently looking for examples & patterns of Native American beadwork with lots of angular lines to the pattern. Not really looking for repeating geometric patterns, symbols or fetishes. Anyone know of a source for patterns or interesting pictures of beadwork?

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
I'm currently looking for examples & patterns of Native American beadwork with lots of angular lines to the pattern. Not really looking for repeating geometric patterns, symbols or fetishes. Anyone know of a source for patterns or interesting pictures of beadwork?
HJ , check wampum , or wampum belts , etc. , but there may be others source names . I would add the Cheyenne , Shoshone , and Blackfeet did and do nice bead work , I can't recall , but whatever Tribe is at Fort Hall ID do beautiful work . There's a Trading Post there , I guess Fort Hall Trading Post .

Last edited:

56FordGuy

One of the Regulars
What can you do for a hat that refuses to stretch and stay stretched? Several years ago I bought a 10X hat 'off the rack' at a custom maker. It's a 7 1/4, I'm a 7 1/4LO. They steamed and stretched it, when I left the shop it fit like a champ. A few hours later it had contracted back to it's original size, maybe a bit smaller even. Over the years I've steamed it numerous times over a pot, it'll stretch and fit great until it dries and then it returns to the original, painful size. Gets tight enough to cause a severe headache. I've tried steaming it, fitting a hat stretcher and storing it that way, as soon as the stretcher is removed it begins shrinking back to the non-LO size. I've got the stretcher in it now, I'd like to get it sorted and wearable but if it refuses to play nice I may have to let it go to someone else.

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
What can you do for a hat that refuses to stretch and stay stretched? Several years ago I bought a 10X hat 'off the rack' at a custom maker. It's a 7 1/4, I'm a 7 1/4LO. They steamed and stretched it, when I left the shop it fit like a champ. A few hours later it had contracted back to it's original size, maybe a bit smaller even. Over the years I've steamed it numerous times over a pot, it'll stretch and fit great until it dries and then it returns to the original, painful size. Gets tight enough to cause a severe headache. I've tried steaming it, fitting a hat stretcher and storing it that way, as soon as the stretcher is removed it begins shrinking back to the non-LO size. I've got the stretcher in it now, I'd like to get it sorted and wearable but if it refuses to play nice I may have to let it go to someone else.

Good you have a Stretcher , but Over Stretch and steam the sides , that will get the LO back in , then after being too big , in an hour or two it'll be perfect after shrinking down . It just happens , then when you're not wearing it keep the stretcher/retainer in , just in there , not stretching , to retain that Oval and size , but if it measures the right size , just use a stretcher and steam to get the oval back in . I had a Resistol that shruck and the LO came out too , I stretched and steamed , it seemed too big , but in a hour or so it was perfect .

HJ , check wampum , or wampum belts , etc. , but there may be others source names . I would add the Cheyenne , Shoshone , and Blackfeet did and do nice bead work , I can't recall , but whatever Tribe is at Fort Hall ID do beautiful work . There's a Trading Post there , I guess Fort Hall Trading Post .
Thanks Michael. I had saved a Blackfoot pattern that I always thought I would like to use someday. Now that someday has come & I've apparently deleted the pattern. And now I can't find it anywhere.

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
Thanks Michael. I had saved a Blackfoot pattern that I always thought I would like to use someday. Now that someday has come & I've apparently deleted the pattern. And now I can't find it anywhere.
I can't remember , but I think Fort Hall is either Blackfoot or Shoshone , I bet if there's a site (not sure about that) , I bet you can find it there . Boy there was Beautiful Bead work there on everything that I looked at , and that was the nicest folks you'd ever want to meet .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe