Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nyah

One of the Regulars
jlee562 said:
Still seems like a lot of effort for a relatively inexpensive hat. If it were me, I'd just spend more time finding a hat with better proportions, but to each their own.
You're probably right. Searching though has turned up very little. I thought I'd be set with the new hemp stratoliner but Stetson has opted to go the ultra-cheap, S,M,L route.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
You're probably right. Searching though has turned up very little. I thought I'd be set with the new hemp stratoliner but Stetson has opted to go the ultra-cheap, S,M,L route.

Have you seen the Akubra Reef (teardrop) and Balmoral at Everything Australian? They both have fedora style crowns and the big brims that could b cut back. Both hemp. Both aroun $55 plus abt $20 shipping.

Nyah

One of the Regulars
Have you seen the Akubra Reef (teardrop) and Balmoral at Everything Australian? They both have fedora style crowns and the big brims that could b cut back. Both hemp. Both aroun $55 plus abt $20 shipping.
It's the fedora brim which is important to me, not the crown. Yes, the Balmoral would be great if it had a snap-brim. I like to snap the brim up when I'm not wearing the hat, as it's then easier to manage.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
It's the fedora brim which is important to me, not the crown. Yes, the Balmoral would be great if it had a snap-brim. I like to snap the brim up when I'm not wearing the hat, as it's then easier to manage.

Thought you said you already had someone to modify the brim...?

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up

I suggested in one of your other posts to look at the Stetson Original '47 and Original '48. They can b snapped up. Ps. Saw on Facebook Stetson is offering 20% off on their website. They have what's called a "Premier Straw Collection." All types of straws Good luck.

Last edited:

el_ote

Familiar Face
hello! new here. new to hats without a baseball logo on them. i ordered online before trying any out and i think i may have gotten it just a hair to big. how snug do you all fit your hats usually. this is a Scala Classico Wool fedora.
thanks!
-elias

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
hello! new here. new to hats without a baseball logo on them. i ordered online before trying any out and i think i may have gotten it just a hair to big. how snug do you all fit your hats usually. this is a Scala Classico Wool fedora.
thanks!
-elias

How snug is snug? It really depends on how u like em to fit. If the hat flops around when u shake your head its probably to big... they will shrink up a bit as u wear em. Cut some adhesive foam type weather stripping and put it inside the sweatband till it feels as "snug" like you like it. You can always add or remove it accordingly.

el_ote

Familiar Face
Thanks Bob. if i keep it, ill try the stripping. it sits well but doesnt hold my head. it doesnt feel like itll blow away but i think i may be a medium...

el_ote

Familiar Face
im a little hesitant to send it back for the medium. in the above post i mentioned the hat being a bit big. I can fit a finger on one side and itll tighten it up enough. on the size chart, my head is not listed. the measurements stop a 1/4" below for the max of a medium and begin a 1/4" above for a large. I tried a rolled up napkin on either side of the inside sweatband, and it helped. it felt like a strong wind would take it though, but i didnt want to force anything in there so i wouldnt damage it in case i decided to send it back for the smaller...

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
im a little hesitant to send it back for the medium. in the above post i mentioned the hat being a bit big. I can fit a finger on one side and itll tighten it up enough. on the size chart, my head is not listed. the measurements stop a 1/4" below for the max of a medium and begin a 1/4" above for a large. I tried a rolled up napkin on either side of the inside sweatband, and it helped. it felt like a strong wind would take it though, but i didnt want to force anything in there so i wouldnt damage it in case i decided to send it back for the smaller...

A "strong" wind could take off many hats...

el_ote

Familiar Face
yeah, i guess I'm still used to my ballcap that would stay on through a roller-coaster. i think i talked myself into keeping it. im pretty sure a smaller size would be too tight since i measure larger than it's max. need to take a better pic and update my avatar

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
yeah, i guess I'm still used to my ballcap that would stay on through a roller-coaster. i think i talked myself into keeping it. im pretty sure a smaller size would be too tight since i measure larger than it's max. need to take a better pic and update my avatar

Enjoy your first of what may be many.

javadave61

Practically Family

Another trick I learned is take a few cotton balls and carefully unroll them.. A cotton ball is actually a 1" wide strip of cotton rolled up. Tuck those strip inside the sweatband. I personally like this solution because it's soft and you almost don't notice it's there. And you can strategically place them in a way that will make the hat fit just right, assuming you're not trying to compensate for more than a half size.

el_ote

Familiar Face
how bad is a loose "knap"? i noticed a little loop on the top brim of the hat? should i steam to loosen and brush it, or is it bad? i also saw a half drop of something that looks like a bit of white-out that wouldnt scratch off easily with my finger. is steam a go to solution?

edit: thanks for all the help everyone. i really appreciate it!

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Picture? A lot of problems can be fixed, or at least mostly ameliorated by a good brushing. A hat sponge is the next most progressive step (and easily done DIY). lastly, such an issue can also probably be fixed with some sandpaper. But that would be only if the previous methods didn't work.

el_ote

Familiar Face
arrrgh... no picture, what a rookie forum user mistake. im at the office now, ill try to upload tonight. ill search the forum for a brushing thread. i found the "links to important hat forum threads" thread, ill start there. thanks jlee

Another trick I learned is take a few cotton balls and carefully unroll them.. A cotton ball is actually a 1" wide strip of cotton rolled up. Tuck those strip inside the sweatband. I personally like this solution because it's soft and you almost don't notice it's there. And you can strategically place them in a way that will make the hat fit just right, assuming you're not trying to compensate for more than a half size.

I keep sheets of felt around. They only cost about 75 cents at Joanne Fabrics, and I can cut strips the width of the sweatband to shore up any looseness. This also works well, because sometimes, instead of using strips, I'll strategically place felt squares around the sweat to custom fit it a bit more.

I keep sheets of felt around. They only cost about 75 cents at Joanne Fabrics, and I can cut strips the width of the sweatband to shore up any looseness. This also works well, because sometimes, instead of using strips, I'll strategically place felt squares around the sweat to custom fit it a bit more.

:arated:
Get them in craft dept of Walmart, Michaels or Hobby Lobby...usually $0.50 a sheet...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe