Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jedwbpm

One Too Many
Has Dobbs always offered suede and velour finish on their felt hats, or is this some kind of new collection.

Here's the link to the collection as offered by TheFedoraStore: http://www.thefedorastore.com/Dobbs-Felt-Hats-s/215.htm
I don't think it is new. I was in DelMonico's last month when a cusumer came in to pick up a custum creased Dobbs Velour Homberg. Mr. DelMonico called me over to see it. He and the customer were impressed that I recognized the Chicago Hook crease that they had done on the crown.

Jeff

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
Is there a thread for dating western Stetsons? I couldn't find one. Do the Stetson fedora dating methods work on the westerns also (liner, price, tag, crest, etc.) or is it a totally different system for westerns?
Thanks,
Mike

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Anyone have suggestions on what the maximum stretch amount of a hat would be? And is it normal, when stretching a pliable felt, for the sides to cave a little while it's on the jack?

fmw

One Too Many
I think it is reasonable to expect a high quality hat to maintain its size for years and years without doing anything to it.

Lloyd

A-List Customer
Bowlerman, I would say that 2 sizes is probably the most to safely hope for when stretching a hat. You might get more but you might not.
And yes, I would expect the sides and the brim to warp a little when stretching a hat. I see it when I stretch a regular weight felt let alone something that's thin or pliable.

Duper

Practically Family
Hatband swap on a Fed IV - thin ribbon or leather

I seem to recall seeing a photo (posted by gtdean I think) of modifications done to a Fed IV to make it into a thin ribbon hat. I am thinking it was done by Major Moore but I can't find the thread or a picture. Has anyone else here put a thin ribbon on a Fed or perhaps even a leather hat band. Any photos you can share. Would putting a thin black leather hatband (3/4 inch at most and very plain) on a moonstone Fed IV be going a little too far?

Why you ask would I ever conceive of such a travesty? I'm just not getting much use out of the moonstone and I think the larger ribbon and bow make me feel it is just a bit too formal. Love the hat, love the tight pinch, want to wear it more.

PhilS

One of the Regulars
Could someone point me to the sticky about cleaning? I'm too stupid and too lazy to find it.

I have an Open Road with an ugly splotch on the rear brim. It goes all the way through the felt. I don't know what it is, but I suspect it's rain and NYC grit, and I want to get it out.

I did just that but using mobile version of TFL as I haul a horse to Tx
I seem to recall seeing a photo (posted by gtdean I think) of modifications done to a Fed IV to make it into a thin ribbon hat. I am thinking it was done by Major Moore but I can't find the thread or a picture. Has anyone else here put a thin ribbon on a Fed or perhaps even a leather hat band. Any photos you can share. Would putting a thin black leather hatband (3/4 inch at most and very plain) on a moonstone Fed IV be going a little too far?

Why you ask would I ever conceive of such a travesty? I'm just not getting much use out of the moonstone and I think the larger ribbon and bow make me feel it is just a bit too formal. Love the hat, love the tight pinch, want to wear it more.

Cedric Satterfield

New in Town
Hat pins-pin length pushes ribbon from hat...

I have just started experimenting with hat pins/tie tack pins on my Penman, since I don't wear ties often anymore. What im finding is that either im wearing them wrong, the pin length is too long, or im just worrying about nothing.

So...here is my current pin-is the pin length too long or am I worried about nothing?

022701952210%5B00%5D%20%281%29.jpg

022701952212%5B00%5D.jpg

Chinaski

One Too Many
By length, if I'm understanding you correctly, you mean the pin with clasp causes the whole affair to be really wide and it pushes the pin and ribbon out from the hat? If this is what you mean, I think I'm in agreement it looks a little wonky. Probably no one else would notice at a casual glance.

You might try hacking off the pin and finding a magnetic backing, or some other type of lengthwise pin rather than the one you have. If I'm wrong about what you mean, well, never mind:D

Cedric Satterfield

New in Town
that is exaclty it.

I really don't want to poke holes in my hat, but if I cut the stem down im afraid the back won't grab. I have put a different pin on for now, with a shorter stem. Are the pinch/clutch backs not the best types of pin back to use? What else is there available?

Last edited:

Chinaski

One Too Many
Okay, well at least it seems I understood you! Now you're out of my realm of experience as I don't have pins on any of my hats. I'm sure another Lounger will offer up some better advice. As I mentioned, if I were having this problem I'd try cutting off the pin altogether and finding a suitable small magnetic backing. I have no idea if that is feasible, but I've seen name tags attached to shirts in this fashion. Meanwhile, welcome to The Lounge.

Cedric Satterfield

New in Town
Thanks!

Thanks, Chinaski. My wife has some of those mag backings on her nametag for work-I wonder if they are strong enough to hold. Ill give it a shot.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe