Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Would a Teardrop bash on a tall crown with a tight pinch be a bad idea? I love a tight pinch but I want to do a teardrop for my next hat bash too (An Akubra Moonstone Federation).

If it is then I'm screwed, because that's pretty much what I've done with my Campdraft (though I intentionally made the dome look wrinkly):

BluegrassCrease2.jpg

I didn't extend the pinch all the way down the front, but I can't see anything wrong with your idea. I've seen others hats like that on TFL.

Last edited:

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks folks. Helpful info and that's a nice looking hat Neophyte.

Thank you, sir!

I'm sure you'll be well served with the Moonstone FedIV. It's a color I really find appealing, but they don't offer it on the hats I'd prefer :(...oh well. Good luck!

sheba92766

New in Town
Hi everyone. I have a question regarding a fedora hat I found at a consignment shop. I've tried searching for the style name, but couldn't find out anything about it, the age, worth, any history, etc. I found this site & I am positive one of you wonderful gentlemen will be able to help me. It is a charcoal gray felt (?) w/black grosgrain ribbon, the inside top has the Stetson name & crest surrounded by black satin & the inside band has John B. Stetson, the crest & the Surpreme Stetson. Also, is the inside band leather? Thank you so much for your help.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Welcome to the Lounge, sheba! You will need to post a picture of the inside and outside of the hat. With that we will be able to help you ... :cool:

sheba92766

New in Town
No can do. I'm new & I don't have permission to post attachments. At least that's the only way I see to add pix. If there is another way, please let me know. Thanks!!

DragonJade

One of the Regulars
No can do. I'm new & I don't have permission to post attachments. At least that's the only way I see to add pix. If there is another way, please let me know. Thanks!!
You can upload your picture onto photobucket, and then copy the link of the picture and paste it here. You could either embed the picture (like below) so you can actually see it here, or just have the link which would lead to the picture (very bottom).

111105_mg_3909.jpg

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb160/D_Jade/Japan Pics/111105_mg_3909.jpg

Last edited:

DRB

One Too Many
100% mink bodies don't and can't exist. Nor indeed can 70% mink bodies. Mink just doesn't felt well enough to be the major "ingredient" in a felt hat, let alone the sole "ingredient." That's why you typically only see felt hats with a little mink. It's not due to cost, it's just that the more mink you put in the mix, the harder it is to felt the body properly. Once you get up into the larger percentages of mink, it just isn't possible to make a hat out of it anymore. -M

Mulceber, I agree with you that mink does not felt well just by itself. I have heard this from two hatters. I also have had both of them tell me that you can make felt out of almost anything, even paper. They told me that a 70% mink and 30% beaver mix should be quite strong (and soft). They are much more valuable.

I will let you know soon, as I have a hat being made out of a 70% mink and 30% beaver right now. Here is it's most recent picture, not done yet.
GaryWhite70mink30beaver1.jpg

GaryWhiteLightSandGaryWhite70mink30beaver.jpg

DRB

One Too Many
Very nice Sheba. May I welcome you to the Fedora Lounge. These guys and gals here at the FL are as entertaining as they are knowledgeable about hats. I learn something new every day here. Have fun. Post lots of pics.

sheba92766

New in Town
Thanks. I'm looking forward to finding out something about my new hat. After looking around a little bit on this site, I realized hats are like crack here.:)

sulla

One of the Regulars
Got a noob question - I have an Akubra Fed IV Moonstone on it's way to me and I want to do a teardrop bash using JtL's fantastic Teardrop Workshop post. My last Fed I did has a simple center crease and pinch. For that one I used almost no steam, just a little from a boiling pot of water to help set the brim at the end.

I know there will be a lot more steam needed to hand bash a teardrop with a tight pinch, so I was wondering if there was a more efficient way to steam while bashing since I have no mirrors on my stove and no stove by my bathroom mirrors.

I guess I could by a mirror to take into the kitchen... ;)

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
sulla, you dont need to steam.

I use a spray bottle with distilled water. I spray the hat down until its wet but not soaked, and shape away. I do this at night so its dry by the morning, ready to wear. No danger of overheating, no having to work fast before the steam evaporates.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe