Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Thanks DH. Yes, right now it is cheap and I'm looking for a "working hat" but I don't have it in my hands just yet. If the owner does any snooping on eBay before I can make the deal and bumps up the price, I'll back out. No need to waste the money when I could save it for a read vintage hat.

I associate it with the square size tag that does not yet have metric combination sizing. All of mine from that era have had poor, stiff, and coarse felt. I’ll still get them if they’re cheap enough; I don’t mind making alterations on these undesirable hats. They can make rugged outdoors type hats that can take abuse...and deflect bullets. As long as you know what you’re getting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mikeh

New in Town
Is there a good, concise web page or pdf that I could give someone to give them a basic introduction to the important things you need to know about owning, wearing, and caring for fedora (or other classic hat)? I picked a lot of it up hanging out and reading here, but I can't ask everyone to do that. Still, if I pass a hat along to someone I want to know that they'll at least be aware of what direction to brush it. I'm looking for a basic care and feeding type page or post, and maybe also some options for how to bash it. Is there anything you'd recommend?

humanshoes

One Too Many
Is there a good, concise web page or pdf that I could give someone to give them a basic introduction to the important things you need to know about owning, wearing, and caring for fedora (or other classic hat)? I picked a lot of it up hanging out and reading here, but I can't ask everyone to do that. Still, if I pass a hat along to someone I want to know that they'll at least be aware of what direction to brush it. I'm looking for a basic care and feeding type page or post, and maybe also some options for how to bash it. Is there anything you'd recommend?
You may find this short article from "The Art of Manliness" helpful:
https://www.artofmanliness.com/articles/how-to-take-care-of-a-hat/

Kane

One of the Regulars
Here’s another Akubra hat question:

I’ve been wanting to acquire an Akubra Cattleman for awhile. It seems like the way to go is buying an Akubra from The Hattery, or from David Morgan which makes more sense as I live in California. However, I believe that the David Morgan Akubra Cattleman is a bit different version as it has an extra eyelet vent to attach their chin strap to, and it is lined.
What do you all prefer, the stock version as it comes from Akubra, or the enhanced or modified version from David Morgan with the extra eyelet and lining?
A few things that I wonder about is if the lining in the David Morgan version defeats the added cooling / breathability of the eyelet vents. Also, the chin strap designed to fit the David Morgan Akubra Cattleman looks cool but also bulky. If one were not going with the chin strap ready David Morgan version of the hat, is it possible to easily fit a chin strap to the hat?
The David Morgan version sounds nice, but I wonder if the Cattleman is better without the mods and the lining. Has anyone had experience with both versions of the Cattleman?
Btw, I just watched the Australian western, “Sweet Country”. Lots of old Aussie western hats. But a good quirky western.
Thanks!

Here’s another Akubra hat question:

I’ve been wanting to acquire an Akubra Cattleman for awhile. It seems like the way to go is buying an Akubra from The Hattery, or from David Morgan which makes more sense as I live in California. However, I believe that the David Morgan Akubra Cattleman is a bit different version as it has an extra eyelet vent to attach their chin strap to, and it is lined.
What do you all prefer, the stock version as it comes from Akubra, or the enhanced or modified version from David Morgan with the extra eyelet and lining?
A few things that I wonder about is if the lining in the David Morgan version defeats the added cooling / breathability of the eyelet vents. Also, the chin strap designed to fit the David Morgan Akubra Cattleman looks cool but also bulky. If one were not going with the chin strap ready David Morgan version of the hat, is it possible to easily fit a chin strap to the hat?
The David Morgan version sounds nice, but I wonder if the Cattleman is better without the mods and the lining. Has anyone had experience with both versions of the Cattleman?
Btw, I just watched the Australian western, “Sweet Country”. Lots of old Aussie western hats. But a good quirky western.
Thanks!
For my felt hiking hats I attach a "stampede string". It works well and can be mounted on any hat. Really it is just a small cotter pin attached to a leather thong that is slipped through the leather sweat band then expanded. Works well and is not noticed. When not in use I just tuck it into the hat crown.

Hat Masterson

Familiar Face
Hey, anybody out there ever wear "peluche" fedoras? My understanding is that it's a bit longer felt weave, kind of like the hep 70s shag rugs of hats. Is it formal? Informal? Reason I'm asking is there's a this hat Biltmore for sale that's a peluche and it looks pretty good but I have never sported that style...

Hey, anybody out there ever wear "peluche" fedoras? My understanding is that it's a bit longer felt weave, kind of like the hep 70s shag rugs of hats. Is it formal? Informal? Reason I'm asking is there's a this hat Biltmore for sale that's a peluche and it looks pretty good but I have never sported that style...

I love the longhairs! I have several Peluche hats, including a Biltmore Homburg. I think the style of the hat has more to due with the formality of the hat than the length of the nap. In my opinion, a Peluche is an outstanding winter hat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Did back bows on Stetson's have any special meaning? Were they on hats of higher quality or on some models and not others that meant something? Or were they just another option for hat wearers at the time?

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Did back bows on Stetson's have any special meaning? Were they on hats of higher quality or on some models and not others that meant something? Or were they just another option for hat wearers at the time?

It's the hat version of a vestigial organ. Early hats had a ribbon which you could use to cinch the sweatband to make seizing adjustments.

It sometimes appears in a purely decorative form in later hats like my 100:

I believe there are one or two functional examples floating around the lounge.

Edit: on second thought...I think I misunderstood the question. Are you asking about the ribbon treatment on the crown?

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Yes, I was probably not clear. I am referring to the ribbon treatment.

It's the hat version of a vestigial organ. Early hats had a ribbon which you could use to cinch the sweatband to make seizing adjustments.

It sometimes appears in a purely decorative form in later hats like my 100:

I believe there are one or two functional examples floating around the lounge.

Edit: on second thought...I think I misunderstood the question. Are you asking about the ribbon treatment on the crown?

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Frun. I'd never seen anything much written about them so just figured they were "fashion", as you say, at certain periods in history. Just thought I'd ask.
It was just a style that was introduced and became popular during certain periods. You know, like wearing an onion on your belt. I think they were popular in the 20s, then had a resurgence in the 50s. All of my examples are from the fifties.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

michael78

One of the Regulars
Hi, i wondered if anyone could put a date on this hat liner by Stevens?

Cheers
Mike
stevens.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe