Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ChicagoWayVito

Practically Family
Hi,

I have some questions for everyone. I am new to this and just starting to investigate tooling and materials.

First question, does Winchester Hat Company have a website with product listings? I couldn't find anything for them, Fepsa on the other hand does (fepsa.pt)
Second question, where do you find vintage grosgrain ribbon?

The following are items that I have found that might help someone else in the near future.
Books:
- Scientific Hat Finishing and Renovating (circa 1919) https://archive.org/details/scientifichatfin00erma
- How To Handle Hats (circa 1905) https://archive.org/details/howtohandlehats00wood

The books mentioned above can be downloaded in PDF for free, there are some enterprising individuals that reproduced the books and are selling them but you don't need to buy.

I will start with those questions above for now. I don't have any tools and am investigating the possibility of making my own tools with a CNC machine.

Cheers!

konadog

Practically Family
How does one accomplish this look? is it simply an Akubra Adventurer open crown with a simple center dent and brim turned up?
blackfedoraopencrown.jpg

also, does one have to be a storybook villain to rock this sort of lid?

I need some help identifying the maker of this hat and the era it was made. My below listing in the classifieds describes the hat. I believe it is French circa 20s-30s! Any help is welcome.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?79305-Circa-20s-30s-French-Fedora-Sz-7-3-8&highlight=

I think your guesses are good ones. It's definitely a high quality old hat by a European maker. I run into this often (no identifying mark) with old German and Austrian hats.

A friend of mine is looking for a digital photo of this poster. I searched but couldn't find it. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Sygma-Keystone-Paris, Hats New York is printed under the photo.

15617649323_dff8d5f921_b.jpg

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
How does one accomplish this look? is it simply an Akubra Adventurer open crown with a simple center dent and brim turned up?
View attachment 22426

also, does one have to be a storybook villain to rock this sort of lid?

Brim looks too short to be an Adventurer and that doesn't look like the block used. There is a surprising amount of variation from seemingly similar looking blocks. That one looks fairly straight sided in the picture, reminiscent of the well regarded 52 block. In particular, the top of the blockshape can have an effect on how the "humps" form when you dent the center in; some look flatter, some end up looking like the top part of a heart if you're looking dead on at the hat.

If one wanted to pick from the Akubra line, I'd say a Fed with the brim trimmed down to something like 2 1/4" and given a good reflange. My instinct would say that those sorts of dipped brims tend to be more prominent on bound brims or on a vintage lid with a Cavanagh edge.

pnbarber

New in Town
I am a complete novice so I apologize for my ignorance in advance.

Were the Royal Stetson Whippet hats made by John B Stetson or Stephen L Stetson or both?

Thank you

WesternHatWearer

A-List Customer
Penny they were made by John B. Stetson. Stephen was his brother who started his own hat company.

According to the following legal document at: http://www.leagle.com/decision/19368814FSupp74_171.xml/JOHN B. STETSON CO. v. STEPHEN L. STETSON CO. Stephen L Stetson was the grandnephew of John B Stetson. John B. Stetson's father was also named Stephen.

I did see a listing on Publius' Forum stating Stephen L. as the younger brother but there is no contradictory evidence of the above legal document. The legal document also states Stephen L. (grandnephew) attempted to open a hat company of his own using the Stetson name.

Just thought to share. :)

Mr Oldschool

One of the Regulars
According to the following legal document at: http://www.leagle.com/decision/19368814FSupp74_171.xml/JOHN B. STETSON CO. v. STEPHEN L. STETSON CO. Stephen L Stetson was the grandnephew of John B Stetson. John B. Stetson's father was also named Stephen.

I did see a listing on Publius' Forum stating Stephen L. as the younger brother but there is no contradictory evidence of the above legal document. The legal document also states Stephen L. (grandnephew) attempted to open a hat company of his own using the Stetson name.

Just thought to share. :)
Beat me to it. Yeah, that :arated:

pnbarber

New in Town
What's it worth?

What's it worth? Early 1950's Stetson Whippet, size 7-3/8. Needs cleaning and blocking but in overall very good condition.

Whippet 1.jpg Whippet 2.jpg Whippet Liner.jpg Whippet band.jpg Whippet Inside Band 1.jpg Whippet Inside Band 2.jpg

Lotsahats

One Too Many
With that reorder tag, more like mid to late 50s. Whippets in that size sometimes go high, sometimes don't, so it's worth what you can get for it. :)

pnbarber

New in Town
I should have offered a little more information about the Whippet. It is a little big for me. I contacted Art about rebuilding it and now I'm trying to decide on having it rebuilt and selling or selling it as is. Just trying to weigh the cost vs value.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
What Aaron said. Ebay is random beast sometimes. If you're thinking of plonking down enough money on a full rebuilding of the hat, I think you're going to end up with the short end of the stick if you want to sell for a profit. Cleaning and blocking is probably worthwhile if all the other components are otherwise serviceable.

Lotsahats

One Too Many
Agreed! If you're rebuilding it to wear, that's different; if it's a little big, maybe some foam in the sweatband to size it down. Whippets in slightly larger sizes like that do tend to be desirable, so it might be worth holding on to without a major renovation just to see a) if you can find one closer to your size for a reasonable amount; b) if you can trade to someone who has a smaller size and wants to size up; or c) if the market will offer you a good price.

Strats and Whippets are popular now, but markets shrink and grow. :)
A

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe