Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Fedorable

One of the Regulars
A-2 Leather Jacket (There isn't an 'ask question, get answer' thread in Outwear)

As with the hats and the suits, I'm growing more and more fond of bomber jackets. More or less the Indiana Jones "OMG, LEATHER JACKET!" craze. I'm fond of their versitility. You can go and adventure like Indy, or you can roam the streets like Vito Scaletta.

I currently and proudly own a St John's Bay leather bomber jacket with a removable faux sherling collar, a gift from my father. :D It's my favorite jacket. Haha.

Anyway, I'm curious about one thing. The cuffs and the waistband. Looking around, I'm finding all knit cuffs and waistbands. If not, the jacket just loses appeal to my eyes because of the different design on outside of the jacket, i.e. the vertical pockets. When my knit cuffs get wet, it just feels nasty. I wear that jacket pretty much every wear.

So my question is this: Where can I find a company that does not charge $250+ for an A-2 bomber jacket with cuffs and a waistband while having the vertical pockets? Best example that I can think of is the A2 flight jacket that Indy wears. My reason for being kind of "roaming about" for the specific jacket is because I work outdoors at a golf course. My dad warned me about that and the jacket itself, so that falls on me.

Like the hats, we all have one for every day and one for dressier attire. I guess I'm going for a work jacket when it comes to being interested in another bomber jacket.

Not that I'm being ungrateful or anything. I'm very thankful that he bought it for me. The plan was that we would split the cost when we learned the jacket was on sale at JCPenny. They didn't have my size in store, so we ordered it and he ended up paying for it as a gift. I'm going to be wearing that jacket for as long as I can still fit the gorram thing. That one I plan to take care of, the other jacket I plan to abuse. Hehe. Just so I can separate my jackets and have one to get down and dirty while having a nicer one for a much less gritty wear.

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Richard, you're right!
I bought a Sterkowski Biker Cap and I am very happy with his craftmenship. The Cap is well made and looks great in my humble opinion!
I guess the hats are well made too and if it shows rabbit, it will be rabbit! The hat price of Sterkowski is a bargain!

Loz Dawes

Familiar Face
just wondering whether my hat would class as long oval?.... back to front is 8'', side to side is 6 1/2''
cheers.. :cheers1:

Greyryder

One of the Regulars
I've done some searches, and all the threads are fairly old, so I'll just ask here. Is there a good place to get the proper kind of grosgrain ribbon to replace the ribbon on the outside of a fedora? All I've been able to find are Hats by Leko, that has a $49 minimum order and very little selection right now; and JKM, that has a 50 yard minimum order.

I need like two yards of 1½" navy blue ribbon. [huh]

John Galt

Vendor
Greyryder, PM not allowed. I suggest you search the auction sites. I saw navy blue grosgrain ribbon at one recently, sold by the yard.

"Faint hat never won fair lady."

Last edited:

dragonelite

New in Town
Does anyone know the name of this fedora?

R36URkY.jpg

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Is there a good place to get the proper kind of grosgrain ribbon to replace the ribbon on the outside of a fedora?

Whether you like it or not, the auction sites is where you buy grosgrain (and decent hats). If you get to New York, Paris or Tokyo, you can buy it at Mokuba, who still makes the right stuff. It's quite expensive, though ($20-25 per meter) - and they only will sell to you in person. If you find any vintage, it was probably bought from eBay or Etsy in the first place. If you buy it there yourself, it'll be cheaper.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe