Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DJH

I'll Lock Up
When I first started I was new to hats (hence the name). I want to change my name but keep the same # posts. Can I do this, or do I need to re-apply? Thanks!

I don't think forum users can change their own username. I'd give Rusty (RBH) a shout. I believe the moderators can log in and make that kind of change.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
What is a dress weight felt/hat? Is it heavier or lighter? Is it usually made of higher end material I take it (Beaver, Nutria?). Thanks for insights.

This is a very vague term which can vary in its application. In general its heavier than a lightweight-but lighter than a Western weight(also somewhat non-specific) so its a mid-weight. No standards for this sort of thing among manufacturers or descriptive accounts.

Orangegrad

Practically Family
Can someone point me to a thread with a photo of Indiana Jones wearing the gray fedora in the airplane? I'm not all that familiar with his movies, but I'd swear this scene exists (and not just in my mind). I've searched on the Lounge but can't find any threads. So maybe it doesn't exist, but I think it does, doesn't it?

Thanks.

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
raider10.jpg

Orangegrad

Practically Family
Thank you. Had to prove this to my wife. Glad my memory wasn't wrong. I've bashed my Moonstone Fed IV somewhat similar to what this photo shows - with the pinch not quite so tight as in the movie. My wife said of my Fed - "that's not an Indiana Jones type hat - the ribbon is too wide." Nearly every time I wear a thin ribbon or an Akubra outback someone makes the Indy comment. And when I finally bash an Indy-style hat like an Indy hat, no one realizes it. Oh well.

Last edited:

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Can someone point me to a thread with a photo of Indiana Jones wearing the gray fedora in the airplane? I'm not all that familiar with his movies, but I'd swear this scene exists (and not just in my mind). I've searched on the Lounge but can't find any threads. So maybe it doesn't exist, but I think it does, doesn't it?

Thanks.

Oh, it exists in Raiders of the Lost Ark. He wears a grey hat boarding the seaplane, and at the very end of the film walking through a government building (in reality, SF City Hall):
Raiders-of-the-Lost-Ark-indiana-jones-3678428-1280-720.jpg

indiana-jones-gray-fedora-travel-hat.jpg

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Moonstone is too light, carbon is too dark. But they're both handsome colors for the fed. You might also consider the grey Henry model from Adventurebilt Europe....the shade of grey was picked based on its resemblance to the Raiders hat.

Orangegrad

Practically Family
Moonstone is too light, carbon is too dark. But they're both handsome colors for the fed. You might also consider the grey Henry model from Adventurebilt Europe....the shade of grey was picked based on its resemblance to the Raiders hat.

I didn't know the Adventurebilts are still available. Thanks, Jared

Rogera

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Andy, John Penman can make you a mighty fine seaplane grey lid as well if you are looking. I think the Henry is considerably more expensive now that they were when I bought one a couple of years ago.

Orangegrad

Practically Family
Andy, John Penman can make you a mighty fine seaplane grey lid as well if you are looking. I think the Henry is considerably more expensive now that they were when I bought one a couple of years ago.

Roger - yes, I was looking at the prices of the Henry from Europe. Might as well go custom as pay those prices. I'm not sure that I necessarily want a true Indy fedora. What I learned in talking with my wife last night is that people really don't pay that much attention to the details of an Indy hat - and so to them, any fedora that's brown is an Indy fedora - even if by our standards it isn't even close. And when I finally was wearing a fedora of similar dimensions (the Fed), my wife didn't even think it looked Indy. Go figure.

Orangegrad

Practically Family
I have a couple open crowns coming over the next week or two. I'm thinking I'd like to try a C Crown on one of them. I can do a tear drop. But I have no idea how to bash a C Crown. Anyone have any experience with this - and have good directions?

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Roger - yes, I was looking at the prices of the Henry from Europe. Might as well go custom as pay those prices. I'm not sure that I necessarily want a true Indy fedora. What I learned in talking with my wife last night is that people really don't pay that much attention to the details of an Indy hat - and so to them, any fedora that's brown is an Indy fedora - even if by our standards it isn't even close. And when I finally was wearing a fedora of similar dimensions (the Fed), my wife didn't even think it looked Indy. Go figure.
Have you tried this guy, Dave Garrison? He specializes in just Indy fedoras and his prices for a custom hat are really reasonable. I'm not for sure if I'm remembering correctly but I thought he also did them in gray as well. Dave Garrison also did some learning under Steve Delk as did John Penman...

http://garrisonhatters.com/garrison_hatters_update_002.htm

Orangegrad

Practically Family
Have you tried this guy, Dave Garrison? He specializes in just Indy fedoras and his prices for a custom hat are really reasonable. I'm not for sure if I'm remembering correctly but I thought he also did them in gray as well. Dave Garrison also did some learning under Steve Delk as did John Penman...

http://garrisonhatters.com/garrison_hatters_update_002.htm

I'm thinking if I go with a true Indy hat, it will be in brown. This link looks interesting - thanks!

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
I'm thinking if I go with a true Indy hat, it will be in brown. This link looks interesting - thanks!
You're welcome Orangegrad...I've spoken with him several times over the phone. He's a real nice guy and knows he knows his Indy hats. There's a few guys on the forum who have his hats...his custom made (rabbit fur)Indy fedora is actually cheaper than a FED IV Deluxe.

Orangegrad

Practically Family
You're welcome Orangegrad...I've spoken with him several times over the phone. He's a real nice guy and knows he knows his Indy hats. There's a few guys on the forum who have his hats...his custom made (rabbit fur)Indy fedora is actually cheaper than a FED IV Deluxe.

I noticed that. I'm really leaning on pulling the trigger. But I've gone on a buying binge recently. Must resist...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld