Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

fashion frank

One Too Many
You are not looking hard enough. There are lot's of 6 7/8's hat's out there. I had a vintage shop owner tell me he didn't bring any 6 7/8 hats in the store as they just sat around. He had a trailer load of them in great shape. Oh to have a small head.:)

Alanfgag, I can wear a 7 if I put foam in the liner but I really am a 6 7/8.

As far as the remark that I'm not looking hard enough , I scour e bay every day , and have my search engine on there set to "newly arrived " and I also just type in "stetson hats " and go thru all the pages or
stetson stratoliner.

I take no offence to the " your not looking hard enough " but could you eleborate ,do you mean on ebay ?

Are there other places where I should be looking?

Once again thank you very much guys , I appreciate your help very much .

All the Best , Fashion Frank

As far as the remark that I'm not looking hard enough , I scour e bay every day , and have my search engine on there set to "newly arrived " and I also just type in "stetson hats " and go thru all the pages or
stetson stratoliner.

Most folks don't list a HAT as HATS & eBay search is awful...you need to broaden your search criteria. To find Stetson hat listings, I use 3 or 4 different searches....

Mystic

Practically Family
You and me both Mr.Wiser.

I've had a small head for over 65 years and it's not that big of a deal. [huh]

It's really much the same as having a big head....well, except that it's, you know, smaller. :)

I began my fedora wearing as a 6 7/8. After a big unexplained weight loss and buzzing my hair, I became a 6 3/4.

As a 6 7/8 I did have a LOT of choices on ebay. At an given time my 'watch list' would have 10-15 hats I was interested in bidding on.

When I finally had to down size I found 6 3/4 hats to be pretty difficult to find and the prices were higher than 6 7/8 hats.

6 7/8 does seem to be the size for the best picking and best prices of vintage hats....although, the "popular" or "in demand" fedoras do seem to be less available than in the 7 to 7 1/2 sizes.
I also found the really early hats, like 40's and before didn't seem to come up on ebay very often in 6 7/8 and 6 3/4.

I suppose it's a matter of the grass is always greener or the other size head.

Just as a side note.....I personally think Alan, Josh and Robert belong to a "secret hat society" where they find their super fine and rare vintage hats. :wink: lol

fashion frank

One Too Many
6 7/8 does seem to be the size for the best picking and best prices of vintage hats....although, the "popular" or "in demand" fedoras do seem to be LESS available than in the 7 to 7 1/2 sizes.

I also found the really early hats, like 40's and before didn't seem to come up on ebay very often in 6 7/8 and 6 3/4.

I suppose it's a matter of the grass is always greener or the other size head.

Thank you for weighing in here .

As I quoted you here thats what I'm running into, the fact that the 6 7/8 hat's actually don't seem to be as plentifull as the 7 and 7 1/2 ones that are always on e bay.

I'll just keep looking and hopefully I'll hit pay dirt sooner than later . thanks again .

All the Best, Fashion Frank

"men's hats" is a good broad search to start with. If you save that search and keep an eye out daily, you will see quite a lot. You can also search by brand keywords. Things seem to come in twos and threes. I once found three 1920s Stetson furry nutria westerns in the same week. Haven't seen another before or since.

Collector's Weekly is fun. It will not show BIN listings, though and if you sort it by most watched, you will find the larger sizes rise to the top as there are more large headed hunters out there.

good luck!

fashion frank

One Too Many
Thank you Alan !

"men's hats" is a good broad search to start with. If you save that search and keep an eye out daily, you will see quite a lot. You can also search by brand keywords. Things seem to come in twos and threes. I once found three 1920s Stetson furry nutria westerns in the same week. Haven't seen another before or since.

Collector's Weekly is fun. It will not show BIN listings, though and if you sort it by most watched, you will find the larger sizes rise to the top as there are more large headed hunters out there.

good luck!

I can't say thank you enough ,just that collectors weekly site makes it so much easier and faster to look for hats .
Thank you again .

m0nk

One Too Many
I have a couple of stingy brim (2") 6 7/8 Dobbs hats that I'm trying to unload... there's nothing wrong with them that I can tell, one is likely from the late 60's, one is much more recent:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?66557-Dobbs-Golden-Coach-6-7-8-40&highlight=

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/show...-Grey-Dobbs-Fifth-Avenue-size-7-45&highlight=

The only real reason I'm getting rid of them is that they're a little tight and I've found I'm not too fond of the 2" brim. I'm not really after any profit, just want to see them go to someone who will enjoy them more. Feel free to make an offer if you're interested.

Last edited:

fashion frank

One Too Many
I have a couple of stingy brim (2") 6 7/8 Dobbs hats that I'm trying to unload... there's nothing wrong with them that I can tell, one is likely from the late 60's, one is much more recent:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?66557-Dobbs-Golden-Coach-6-7-8-40&highlight=

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/show...-Grey-Dobbs-Fifth-Avenue-size-7-45&highlight=

The only real reason I'm getting rid of them is that they're a little tight and I've found I'm not too fond of the 2" brim. I'm not really after any profit, just want to see them go to someone who will enjoy them more. Feel free to make an offer if you're interested.

Thank you for thinking of me ,however I already have two grey short brimmed fedoras and another on the way that I won on a bid that contained the grey one I just referenced and a black one .

I could not pass on them as they wound up costing me something like $ 12.00 each and they are like new.
I will post them in the new hats section when they come in ,should be tomorrow .
Again thank you for thinking of me .

Mystic

Practically Family
I can't say thank you enough ,just that collectors weekly site makes it so much easier and faster to look for hats .
Thank you again .

Here's a site I use frequently looking for hats. It's the same hats that can be found on ebay but a little easier to use. It's not ALL of them but still a good place to check. http://picclick.com/Clothing-Shoes-Accessories/Vintage/Vintage-Accessories/Mens-Hats/
It also allows me to pick a category such as fedoras or Stetsons. After seeing all the hats come up in that category I put in my size and watch the selection drop in number of hats offered.
It's not a substitute for ebay but it is another tool.

The thing that helped me the most with the frustration of looking for hats was when I dialed back on my desire to find a particular hat style. :frusty:
I just put that particular hat on my 'mental hat wish list' and then relaxed and surfed the listings to see what I might find.
it's more enjoyable that way. Still tiresome sifting through all the sizes I can't wear but not as frustrating.

You'll soon have more hats than you planned on getting. But, enjoying the ride while looking for the hat of your desires.

Last edited:

fashion frank

One Too Many
Thanks Mystic, I bookmarked that site and yes your right it makes it a little bit easier .

My collection of hats is growing at just about the pace of new suits that I buy and right now I'm up to 18 suits and 16 hats however I am getting two more in the mail tomorrow so it should be just about even and thats including my straw's as well, not that I'm done by any means with the suits or hats :D.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe