Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Art Fawcett VS Hall of Fame

Duper

Practically Family
Not your typical VS fedora work but I wanted a durable old west Boss of the Plains out of the nutria blend bodies that Art has.
I went with the early dimensions, crown 4" & brim 3 3/4" with a pencil curl.
Here are some shots of Art's typical masterful craftsmanship...
IMG_20121104_195040_765.jpg

IMG_20121104_195051_172.jpg

IMG_20121104_195021_213.jpg

With horsehair hatband...
IMG_20121104_194937_455.jpg

IMG_20121104_194956_612.jpg

I very much like the addition of the tassled horse hair.

seabass

Call Me a Cab
Tealseal, the Theodore is a Outstanding truibute there to your Granddad. Enjoy your new VS.

GT, the Boss-o-Plains...is something else... I have done SASS before & this Type of hat is seen but cheep wool versions,,,,This is something special......Congrats !

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Tealseal, the Theodore is a Outstanding truibute there to your Granddad. Enjoy your new VS.

GT, the Boss-o-Plains...is something else... I have done SASS before & this Type of hat is seen but cheep wool versions,,,,This is something special......Congrats !
:arated:

navarre

Vendor
Not your typical VS fedora work but I wanted a durable old west Boss of the Plains out of the nutria blend bodies that Art has.
I went with the early dimensions, crown 4" & brim 3 3/4" with a pencil curl.
Here are some shots of Art's typical masterful craftsmanship...
IMG_20121104_195040_765.jpg

IMG_20121104_195051_172.jpg

IMG_20121104_195021_213.jpg

With horsehair hatband...
IMG_20121104_194937_455.jpg

IMG_20121104_194956_612.jpg

That is a great looking lid. Love the addition of the horsehair band. You and Art came up with a nice design. Great work guys!

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
VS Granite LITE 5.5" x 2 5/16" raw edge, 19 L silvergray ribbon, star pattern vent holes & removable red liner

- Outdoor pics and felt comparison shots to follow as weather permits -

Boy oh boy what a hat! Thank you, Art, for another perfectly executed piece of work.
The 1910s/20s-inspired ribbon bow design was used by RLK on his Blue Smoke (see below), which is where I got the idea. The silver-ish color of the ribbon was inspired by (and might be identical with) the ribbon on Che's Granite LITE; see below as well.

I've grown very fond of raw brims, a brim edge treatment which I have neglected too much until recently and which, incidentally, I've found rather hard to come by in vintage hats.

Knowing that the granite felt has a slight shift towards the warm/ brownish side starting from neutral gray, I considered a black ribbon (a combination often seen on 1950s Borsalini with similar warm gray felts) or alternatively a silver-gray ribbon. I think it's quite difficult to hit the right shade of silver-gray for use on the granite felt, and this one is perfect. It has a very slight warm hue, just warm enough so that it doesn't clash with the felt, and still silvery enough to give some much needed contrast.

VS Granite on gray chalk stripe flannel:

P1090716.jpg

P1090703.jpg

P1090700.jpg

RLK's Blue Smoke with the bow design, and Che's Granite with the ribbon color:

BS_RLK__Gran_Che.jpg

Last edited:

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Very cool Gents!!! I'm back in town again and would like to announce a "kickoff" discount for the year. Any order between now and the end of the year will receive a $50 discount if you are a Lounge member. If you send a hat for the Vets, an additional $25, total of $75 off. Yes, that's right back to 2007 prices on my hats. For those of you that are new, I am reviving a long term thread explaining that every other year I collect "clunkers" that you don't use anymore, clean them up as needed, then donate them to the local VA here in Southern Oregon. We have a large medical facility here that services vets from all over the west. Last year ( yes, I broke my 2 year rule this year) we donated something in the order of 40 hats ( I don't remember the exact number off the top) and made a lot of guys pretty happy.

Tom, Che,Rabbit, Tealseal, Thank you all for the support and pics. Tealseal, I get different requests but trying to honor family members means the most to me so please, no sweat my friend.

seabass

Call Me a Cab
B-Man !
Its the special effects & got me Jonesing Too...
Ive been playing trying to get that Technicolor old school effect......
though the Hat makes it all better
Thanks !!

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Thank you, Brando, Mike, Hato, Art, Jeff, and Che.

Another ribbon color I had been considering for the Granite is the warm, light silver (or, uhm, golden silver...) seen below (auction pics, not mine). A great alternative, I believe. A little more conspicuous, perhaps.

VINTAGESIRUSETFINEFELTFEDORAMENGREYHATBulgaria.jpg

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Some additional photos of the VS Granite LITE w/ 19 L silver in ideal lighting conditions.

Granite-w-19silver.jpg

Granite-w-19silver_opencrown.jpg

Granite-w-19silver_closeup.jpg

Block shape:

VS_blockshape.jpg

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
VS Oxblood w/ 22 L brownish

Haven't seen many pics of VS Oxblood hats being worn, so here's one with today's casual attire. 32 oz melton wool overcoat in a flecked light moss green, dated 1943, of U.S. provenance. Dark brown cardigan, rust wool knit tie, sky blue twill.
Photos seem to render the Oxblood felt in very different ways, depending on the lighting conditions. To the eye, the felt color is a reddish brown; the ribbon on this particular hat is more brownish. The photo however renders the felt with an ever so slight purple undertone.

2012-11-08_VS-Oxblood_32oz-meltonwool_1.jpg

Last edited:

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
Nik, your casual and mine are very different! Great overcoat. The Oxblood matches the boots very well. I've always felt there was a purple undertone to Oxblood and think that's what makes it unique.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld