Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Art Fawcett VS Hall of Fame

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
My Tucker w/ 2.5" brim in the Whiskey color:

VS_Tucker_01.jpg

VS_Tucker_02.jpg

I've had it over a year, and it's fitting me better every time I put it on.

Gorgeous hat, and one of my very favorite colors. I also got a Tucker last year, in whiskey, but mine is a center dent. I'm surprised...I thought being a Tucker meant it had a center dent bash.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Gorgeous hat, and one of my very favorite colors. I also got a Tucker last year, in whiskey, but mine is a center dent. I'm surprised...I thought being a Tucker meant it had a center dent bash.
Blackthorn, I originally bashed it that way (or Art did; I can't recall), and to clear my pointed (?) head, I had to have the rear of the crown almost as high as the front. Last winter I shrugged and redid it as a diamond-with-dome, as I call it. If that makes it no longer a Tucker, then I'll have to come up with a new name for it!

IsaacRN

One of the Regulars
I have a question. How important are the creases for you all to be perfectly centered. I received a Mac B from Art that is gorgeous, yet when I have it on, the creases look to be heading to the right. I don't really want to futz with it to align it perfectly center, but it does bother me a bit. I received a few compliments wearing it today :) Beautiful Hat.

dnjan

One Too Many
I have a fairly assymetrical head and Art recently re-blocked a PanamaBob hat for me so that the allignment of the top dent (I prefer an Homburg-style dent) lined up correctly when I wore the hat. Prior to his re-blocking, if I twisted the hat so that the dent lined up with my face, the brim got all "wonky". Art made a wood plug in my head shape (from the conformer), and I worked the hat with it until the dent lined up correctly. I then marked the headband seam on the plug, and sent it and the hat back to Art. The hat came back quite quickly, and now lines up perfectly.

So, I would say that this is an easily-fixed problem, and once fixed, Art will have the correctly-alligned plug so that your next hat from him will line up the way you want it (right out of the box).

IsaacRN

One of the Regulars
i just reshaped it..and my steamer spurt some water on it. I hope i don't have any ill spotting from it. Ill have to call Art to get the device your mentioning

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Isaac, when it leaves here I crease it to what my eye sees as center but when you put it on it doesn't necessarily line up every time. Just re crease it in the direction it needs to go or let me know which way & how much & I'd be happy to do it for you.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Issac; A MacB - wow great hat! I have seen some pics of the hat and enjoy the lines and treatment. Congrats on the hat.

My take on hat creases: A couple of pages previousely in this thread you can see how my light colored VS went swimming. Treating the leather, brushing, some distilled water for steam and it came back to a hat shape. Since recieving said hat, I have added, subtracted side dents, changed the crease from Art supplied crease to a center dent and post swiming a teardrop. The felt is durable, and maleable. Being able to re-shape the hat to my whim I find is a great feature. Spritz with distilled water (not much needed) and steam lightly and the hat can change to your whim.
My sense of fashion likes/dis-likes continually change with each days experiences and my hats can reflect that in the change of crease or choice of hat to wear.

Enjoy the classy fedora sir. A crooked crease adds a human character to the hat, IMO. Too perfect and I am suspect and skeptical of the hat being worn very much. Although, not back pedaling, there is something to say for perfect for that special occasion - looking forward to that Holiday party this year.

Long winded post...duh.... my intended message, crease it yourself, make it personal.

Best wishes for adventure when wearing your spiffy hat, Eric -

Last edited:

IsaacRN

One of the Regulars
Last question...

Does anyone else immediately put their name on the waiting list when receiving their newly purchased hats? I Love em all!!!

Thanks again Art and everyone in this community.

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Blackthorn, I originally bashed it that way (or Art did; I can't recall), and to clear my pointed (?) head, I had to have the rear of the crown almost as high as the front. Last winter I shrugged and redid it as a diamond-with-dome, as I call it. If that makes it no longer a Tucker, then I'll have to come up with a new name for it!
That makes perfect sense, Paul, now I understand. Thanks!

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
My new VS just arrived today: Light sage, 2 5/8" brim and a really neat three-corner bow!

IMG_9314.jpg

What a great hat; thanks, Art!!!

I really like the hat J-one. It is a classy package - Liner, leather, the color of the felt, the luxurious look of the texture of the felt, the dimmensions, and of course the ribbon treatment. Oh la, la! BTW, it does not hurt when you showcase the hat looking very sharp. Sharp dressed man! (Hey sounds like a song - and now that song is imbedded in my mind.)

Does the sage felt, with the entire hat in hand, appear sage green? Like the sage leaves? My sample gives off a kind of minty color.

Out of curioustity, J-one, how do you see this hat working into the mob of VS's you have showcased recieveing on this thread? Did you have occassions, or wardrobe in mind when placing your custom order?

Best wishes, Eric -

Jauntyone

Practically Family
Thanks for the kind words, everyone!

Eric: I'm looking at the hat right now under electric lights and it does have a rather "minty" cast to it. It's a cool green rather than a warm green; it's a very pastel shade. The ribbon on this hat is a silvery-gray which complements the light green very well.
I really like the texture of the felt; it's reminiscent (did I spell that right?) of the Resistol kitten finish.
I don't really have any specific occasions in mind for this hat, but it's color seems more like a spring/summer color. I don't know if it goes well with my dark gray overcoat.
I'm really happy with the bow; I think I like it even better than the regular Stratoliner/Open Road bow. And, of course, Art's workmanship is sublime!

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for the kind words, everyone!

Eric: I'm looking at the hat right now under electric lights and it does have a rather "minty" cast to it. It's a cool green rather than a warm green; it's a very pastel shade. The ribbon on this hat is a silvery-gray which complements the light green very well.
I really like the texture of the felt; it's reminiscent (did I spell that right?) of the Resistol kitten finish.
I don't really have any specific occasions in mind for this hat, but it's color seems more like a spring/summer color. I don't know if it goes well with my dark gray overcoat.
I'm really happy with the bow; I think I like it even better than the regular Stratoliner/Open Road bow. And, of course, Art's workmanship is sublime!
That is a true beauty. Some folks have mighty fine taste.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe