Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Art Fawcett VS Hall of Fame

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Rabbit; Wow, that is a Monti! It is truly a beauty. Congrats sir. When the weather permits, would you consider posting a shot of you wearing the hat? Love it.

Rusty; Man that is the Milan that I want. I am in Art's line for a Milan. The block, the material and the colors are just grand. I imagine it will be a well fitting stylish hat. Nice stuff sir.

Tom D. Congrats sir. It will be fun to see what it looks like.

Eric -

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Dove VS with charcoal ribbon work and blue/green bound edge. Totally beautiful fedora.

IMG0579-L.jpg

As my screen name implies, I am a short balding guy (needing a shave), and Art has artfully worked the dimensions of this hat so that it is perfect (btw; 2.5" brim). The taller crown and blocked shape brings to mind the best of the Stetson Stratoliner. The flange work and the snap of the brim are in the same vain. Many of you have similar hats (some terrific felt colors and ribbin combinations). Don't you just love the dimensions?

IMG0588-L.jpg

For me the cross over hat, city/country, works in so darn many of my wearing situations. I love this style. I have desire for being different and wear other hat styles./dimensions. I come back to this style and wear it more often. As the seasons change, I no doubt will choose different hats - for now it is this classic style.

Dove - what is there to tell? - Love the gray based color. As my previous posts about the dove color and so many have posted, the color carries all the special hues of the bird of the same name - Dove. I find gray, reds, blues, even green hues all in the hat. A color chameleon of sorts when worn with different attire in different lights.

IMG0585-L.jpg

This blocked felt obviousely carries fedora lineage in this shot. The non ribbon side of this style is attractive o my eye.

IMG0587-L.jpg

The liner is black. Classy and just what a dove in-between hat should have. The darker leather band fits perfect as I have come to appreciate with my other Art hats. The darker leather should allow me to really wear the hat and have no worries as to the inevitable darkening.

IMG0586-L.jpg

Charcoal ribbon is sublime. I have seen the same ribbon on other posted hats. The ribbon texture allows it to show different hues in different lights. I like the suprise of what possible color hue the ribbon might show in the pics I take. Totally Art - the bound edge. Blue/green is not a combo I would have thought of - but works like magic.

IMG0589-L.jpg

Dark, grey sky and I have the hat on the branches of snow covered green and blue spruce trees in the backyard. That is a very hard background to get shots, but the colors are so special.

Enjoying my special hat. Thanks for reading.

Best wishes, Eric -

Last edited:

DJH

I'll Lock Up
I agree Eric - totally beautiful fedora.

Better yet, it really suits you. Congrats to you and Art for another classic!

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
I agree Eric - totally beautiful fedora.

Better yet, it really suits you. Congrats to you and Art for another classic!

Thanks David. I appreciate your opin/comments.

As you stated the applause should be for Art. Clients visions are made wearable art by the man. I am honored to be a client.

(BTW: Still thinking about the recent Art Weston like hat you had made - man that hat is sweet. Between the Moss green and the Silver-mist hat you have some of the finest warm weather lids of recent. Appluase back at you.)

Eric -

Last edited:

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Eric, congrats to you - the new VS Dove of yours is a fine, fine hat! Very versatile, and a perfectly balanced design. The crown/ brim dimensions are tried-and-true.
I have a VS Dove with charcoal ribbon myself and love the color combination. My VS Dove with black ribbon is an equally versatile hat; these are, of course, two ENTIRELY different hats lol - and I'm only half joking. Needless to say that I'm nuts about this felt color.

Rabbit; Wow, that is a Monti! It is truly a beauty. Congrats sir. When the weather permits, would you consider posting a shot of you wearing the hat? Love it.

I'll be happy to post some attire shots with the Monti when it's linen suit weather, which usually starts sometime in May here in Germany.

Last edited:

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Silvermist ArtLite.

D314146-L.jpg

David, you're a photographer so it's a safe bet that you have a trained eye. How exactly does the Silvermist felt look like? From the swatches I see a slight greenish undertone on a very light, cool grey, and it also seems to be noticably lighter than the Silverbelly. I would be much obliged if you could describe the felt color as it appears under different lighting conditions. I'm especially interested in how much the greenish undertone shows.

Anyone else care to chime in with their experiences?

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Rabbit, I'll take some images over the weekend of Silvermist and Silverbelly together to show the differences.

You are right though, Silvermist is the cooler of the two.

pw016.jpg

My new Hitchhiker from Art. This is a great crossover hat. The felt is thick, but soft, and the color is a heathered brownish tan. Begging your pardon Art, but I may tweak the crease a bit. It's my first VS and I'm very pleased with it. Thank you Art and keep up the excellent work. I will try to get some better pics later.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
pw016.jpg

My new Hitchhiker from Art. This is a great crossover hat. The felt is thick, but soft, and the color is a heathered brownish tan. Begging your pardon Art, but I may tweak the crease a bit. It's my first VS and I'm very pleased with it. Thank you Art and keep up the excellent work. I will try to get some better pics later.

Perry; Nice hat sir. The fit is just so superb with a VS it is hard to turn to other hats.

Enjoy wearing the hat. I hope to see more of it on the What Are You Wearing thread.

Best, Eric -

DJH

I'll Lock Up
VS Silverbelly vs Silvermist

As requested by Rabbit, here is a reference photo showing the two colours (Silvermist on left, Silverbelly on right). I've left my WiBal white balance card in the shot as a reference. You'll probably need to save the image and open it in Photoshop to view the colour properly, I believe most browsers ignore colour profiles which is why our pictures look different on the web.

I shot this indoors with indirect natural light - no flash obviously. I set the white balance on the top grey card in the deck.

D314207-L.jpg

Regardless of how you view the image, you should see that the Silvermist is the lighter of the two and also closer to being grey. Silverbelly is warmer and is really a very light tan. Rabbit, I don't see the green undertone in Silvermist that you mentioned, except when the hat is in my office under the nasty florescent lights - they make all my grey hats look green!

I hope this is helpful. Oh, one thing to note is that the Silvermist is a lightweight felt and the Silverbelly is Art's regular weight. If anyone is thinking of getting a lightweight hat from Art, he had both of these colours available in ArtLite at the time I checked with him.

Last edited:

Brando11

A-List Customer
Very helpful- thx a lot DJH. What edge treatment is on the Silvermist, BTW? I usually get a bound edge but I really like the looks of this quite a bit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe