Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are you a Fogey, Old Boy, Old-Boy-Hip, Hip or a Slick

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
I ran across this article recently, and found it interesting. I particularly like this comment:

Today it’s all about target audience and dressing right. Everyone reacts to clothes, everyone loves clothes. Those who do not love it simply do not know they love them. In our ultra commercial and media driven culture, even subversive countercultures are concerned with looking their part stylishly!

Who are our Fogeys, our Old Boys, etc., and how does that classification echo here at the Lounge?

Edit: I guess it would help if I posted the link to the article, eh?! Here it is: The Tree of Style: Genres of Clothes for Men

slicedbread

A-List Customer
I'd have to place myself firmly in the Old Boy category...While I deeply respect anyone who can claim for themselves to be in the Fogey category, I feel that mode of dress will only be appropriate for me when I'm older and more toned down...As far as being an Old Boy, some of the descriptions are not quite right but it comes very close!

Although it is a bit of a split hair, Fogey-Hip is a sub-variant accomplished by wearing the more daring but still practically extinct versions of Fogey. A stroller with its black jacket and striped pants would be Fogey-Hip. A bold 16oz tweed suit with a wool challis vest with repeated hunting/country images on it, heavy gauge but colorful argyle socks and country grained boots with an Austrian loden shooting coat is definitely Fogey-Hip.

Rafter

Suspended
I'm definitely "Old-Boy" since I support tradition but am not averse to progress. Although my "OB" style is updated enough, I still defer to maturity over youth and propriety over the singles party ethic. That's me to a "T"!

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Lounger Style Connotation

Earp said:
I would be "old boy" with some "fogey." Interesting article.

Another top article..Earp great avatar we are trying to save a similar garage from the 1920s in our town.. The rest of the world want to be either super trendy or troggs...we are the champions...of da world:eusa_clap

Earp

One of the Regulars
cookie said:
Earp great avatar we are trying to save a similar garage from the 1920s in our town.. The rest of the world want to be either super trendy or troggs...we are the champions...of da world:eusa_clap

Thank you. We have several of these around West Michigan which retain the basic structure but the pumps are gone and there's siding or some other treatment. I wish I could convert them all back. :)

Flitcraft

One Too Many
Now that's an interesting post.....

As to my style classification....hmmmm....
I need to read the article more thoroughly

Feraud: Sartorial Myers-Brigg-LOL!:D
Mojave: Thanks for posting! Yet another interesting article to put aside to read later!:rolleyes:

Sir RBH

A-List Customer
Mojave Jack said:
I ran across this article recently, and found it interesting. I particularly like this comment:

Today it’s all about target audience and dressing right. Everyone reacts to clothes, everyone loves clothes. Those who do not love it simply do not know they love them. In our ultra commercial and media driven culture, even subversive countercultures are concerned with looking their part stylishly!

Who are our Fogeys, our Old Boys, etc., and how does that classification echo here at the Lounge?

Edit: I guess it would help if I posted the link to the article, eh?! Here it is: The Tree of Style: Genres of Clothes for Men

Well, I think for my part its reasonably easy
FOGEY.. without a shadow of a doubt old Chap!

RBH

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe