Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

are these 1940's era?

green papaya

One Too Many
IM003819.jpg

IM003820.jpg

I just received these by a friendly ebayer that included it with my purchase as a gift

are they men's or ladies? what are they called?

they appear to be made of a some type of mole cloth? with leather straps with a metal buckle

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Spats!

They were much more commonly worn in the teens and earlier, although older conservative gentlemen wore them through the 20s. Definitely out of fashion in the 40s.
But they sure are cool!

green papaya

One Too Many
thanks for the info :)

thats nice tio hear that they are probably pre 1940 , because I collect turn of the century WW1 era items, they probably also wore these back around 1917 as well

I don't think i've seen a pair of spats that didn't look exactly like that. And i must have seen hundreds of 'em. The things didn't vary very much through the years. Except for those super cool goatskin numbers (with the fur still on) that sold on eBay a while back. There was a thread on them.

bk

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Baron Kurtz said:
Yeah, spats seemed to be one of the commonest items in antique/junk stores in the midwest. Usually in fine shape, too.

bk

Indeed they are. I see at least 3 pairs of various size in each antique shop. I'm looking to pick up a pair that will fit my size 12 feet.

I find it interesting that Mr. Depp has picked up on spats recently.

JohnnyDeppwithspatsandDBsuit.jpg

Papaya, those spats are neat.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
While probably really vintage, I would point out that things made in England differ from american in that tags did not change as often or quickly, and there has always been a demand for certain items, not as costume but as an ongoing tradition. I do not know if there are still people who buy spats that are made in this way for certain events or whatever. I know there are for hats and such amonghts the horse crowd.

That said, they are more likely old and the fact that they are made by a certain shop for sel in Canada might indicate older as if there is a shop that does them now, they are probably just sold outright or ordered custom.

Perhaps our Anglo members can enlighten me as to weather upper class genst still wear spats for anything. Perhaps to attend a polo match with the queen mum.

GwenLake

One of the Regulars
Vintage Betty said:
And, for the record, women also wore spats. However, it wasn't common.

VB
Spats are sometimes confused with gaiters. I believe women only wore gaiters, but I could be wrong.

From Eyewitness Books "Costume":

Image2.jpg

"Gaiters have been worn since the late 18th century to protect the lower leg against the cold and rain or snow. These women's fabric gaiters from the 1920s button up on the outside leg to just below the knee."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82