Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are film noire motion pictures in color an oxymoron?

Naphtali

Practically Family
Perhaps "oxymoron" is too strident. I can think of three -- two excellent and one good -- "Chinatown" (1974, Jack Nicholson, Fay Dunaway, John Huston), "The French Connection" (1971, Gene Hackman, Roy Scheider, Fernando Rey), and "The Killers" (1964, Lee Marvin, Angie Dickenson, Ronald Reagan).

Are there others?

What is it about color that mitigates against being used for film noire?

just_me

Practically Family
Naphtali said:
Perhaps "oxymoron" is too strident. I can think of three -- two excellent and one good -- "Chinatown" (1974, Jack Nicholson, Fay Dunaway, John Huston), "The French Connection" (1971, Gene Hackman, Roy Scheider, Fernando Rey), and "The Killers" (1964, Lee Marvin, Angie Dickenson, Ronald Reagan).

Are there others?
Farewell My Lovely with Robert Mitchum.
LA Confidential

3PcSuit

One of the Regulars
I don't think so.

At the same time, I wish more filmmakers had the cahones to actually shoot B&W. "Schindler's List" was one of the last attempts and that is more than 15 years ago now!

Even films that are finished to B&W are now being shot more and more on color film, which also doesn't quite have the noir look.

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
Brick (2005) was filmed in color, where as, The Good German (2006) was filmed in black and white. Both films are exceptional modern noir, and both use extensive use of shadow to convey mood.

I agree with what has already been said, that noir is about the overall mood of a piece. The only thing I would add is that films in color can use lighting very effectively to tone scenes for a particular mood, as the makers of Brick did to great effect.

3PcSuit

One of the Regulars
"Good German" wasn't filmed in B&W, it was filmed in color and desaturated digitally.

Despite this, it is probably the closest I've seen (although it was never released in theatres here sadly so I didn't get to evaluate this on the big screen) to the look of real B&W negative from color film.

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
this might be going out on a limb, but 'Batman' with keaton i think is very noir...even though it is set in the late 80s and is a story of a masked crusader, the entire mood of the film is very classic, imo...very dark, very golden era fashion (the reporter even had those arm band things for the sleeves)...the reason i really really like it...the other is kim basinger and jack nicholson...

3PcSuit

One of the Regulars
Unfortunately, one of the qualities of early noir that you can't get back entirely is halation, the haziness you used to see, which they traded in for film that didn't spontaneously combust ;-)

It's not just B&W film though, it was a style of lighting too, very hard, directional lighting that made classic noir what it was. Unfortunately, modern lighting, even in films of the same intended style, seems to be much softer.

I think a great modern noir was "Minority Report". I was, unfortunately, a victim to the advertising, which made it out to be a stupid action movie with a simplistic story. I really regret missing out on this on the big screen.

I did get a chance to see a 35mm print of "Chinatown" and that was a real treat. IDK if I'd describe it as noir, as it had very modern elements in the way it was shot, but the story itself was obviously the very essence of the genre.

vintage68

Practically Family
I'd have to say no, black and white is not needed.

One of my favorite noir films is Last Man Standing with Bruce Willis, another is Blade Runner. Both were shot in color, and both conveyed the mood and sensibilities of noir perfectly.

I highly recommend "It's a Bitter Little World" by Charles Pappas for a good exploration of this subject.

3PcSuit

One of the Regulars
vintage68 said:
I'd have to say no, black and white is not needed.

One of my favorite noir films is Last Man Standing with Bruce Willis, another is Blade Runner. Both were shot in color, and both conveyed the mood and sensibilities of noir perfectly.

I highly recommend "It's a Bitter Little World" by Charles Pappas for a good exploration of this subject.

Not needed?

So are B&W movies obsolete then? We should just build a bonfire and throw them all in. . .

Feraud

Bartender
3PcSuit said:
Not needed?

So are B&W movies obsolete then? We should just build a bonfire and throw them all in. . .
I think he simply means not a requirement.
Considering how Noir elements show up in so many color films he could be right..

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
3PcSuit said:
I don't think so.

At the same time, I wish more filmmakers had the cajones to actually shoot B&W. "Schindler's List" was one of the last attempts and that is more than 15 years ago now!

Even films that are finished to B&W are now being shot more and more on color film, which also doesn't quite have the noir look.

True. The Man Who Wasn't There (2001) was, I believe, shot on color stock and then desaturated. The result looks glossy, but does not capture the starkness often seen in old b/w noir.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe