Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Applying for a job...

hasselhoff

One of the Regulars
I moved in Montreal about a month ago, because I now go to the university. I have a job in my home town but I'm looking forward to get a job at the local (Montreal) hat shop: HenriHenri.

I purchased my first hat 2 years ago, and since then I am passioned about hats. I visit the lounge twice a day...:)

The problem is that I don't have any experience in cleaning, shaping, selling and blocking hats. Considering the fact that I'm 19 years old, should I join a letter about my passion for hats (even tough I don't have a lot of experience in the field...) with my resume, or should I just cross my fingers and wait for their call.

-The Hoff

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
hasselhoff said:
The problem is that I don't have any experience in cleaning, shaping, selling and blocking hats. Considering the fact that I'm 19 years old, should I join a letter about my passion for hats (even tough I don't have a lot of experience in the field...) with my resume, or should I just cross my fingers and wait for their call.
-The Hoff
I don't think I've even ever been inside a hat shop, but I'm envious that you're even close enough to consider working in one. I'd at least make an attempt to convey an eagerness to learn and a passion for the craft.

The competition for a hat shop employee can't be that intense (unfortunately). Stick around the Lounge for awhile and you'll learn a TON!

Good luck, hope everything works out for you!

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I would think that any young man applying for a job in a hat shop who is even interested AT ALL in hats woud be received favorably. I don't imagine they're looking for someone with a PhD in hatology.
Show up wearing a nice hat, and explain how you feel about them, and you'll be about a hundred miles ahead of any likely competition for the position.

coble

A-List Customer
I actually applied for a few custom hatters, such as rands hats. I did get a reply back from him saying he doesn't have any opening right now, but i had no experience i just explained my passion for hats and the only problem is they had no openings. If you show an interest in any job, doors will open. Good luck and i feel people should follow there dreams, because you never know the outcome.

hasselhoff

One of the Regulars
Thank you all

I will give it a shot this week!

I'll try to catch up with the owner of the store, if he's not there i'll leave my resume. I'll show up wearing my fed IV, and if they ask me any questions on hats, I think i have the tools to answer back. 'Till then I'll cross my fingers and hope for an opening like Colbe said... I know the lexical fields associed with hats and everything, and I think my english isn't that bad (I am a french canadian).

I'll give you news on this job.

-The Hoff

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
hasselhoff said:
I moved in Montreal about a month ago, because I now go to the university. I have a job in my home town but I'm looking forward to get a job at the local (Montreal) hat shop: HenriHenri.

I purchased my first hat 2 years ago, and since then I am passioned about hats. I visit the lounge twice a day...:)

-The Hoff
Tell them you are serious to learn everything about hat craft, because you want to make it your trade. Whether you really do or not is not important. There is a dearth of young people coming up who want to learn the hat trade, and people in the hat trade would dearly love to pass on their skills before they...pass on.

Salty O'Rourke

Practically Family
Show up with clothes pressed and shoes shined and sell yourself.

There are several brick-and-mortar hat shop owners here; perhaps one of them can tell you what they look for in a prospective employee.

I took a look at Henri Henri's website - looks like a wonderful establishment. Plus, I learned how the hockey term "hat trick" originated!

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
Dewhurst said:
What you lack in experience they can teach you.

That's my thought as well. As others have said, I doubt the competition for hat shop employees is that intense. In a perfect world, true interest in a career field, and a willingness to learn, should be enough to get someone started in a job.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld