Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Appeal to Hatco/Stetson

Status
Not open for further replies.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
This is an appeal to Hatco/Stetson, to make the hats that people in this forum want to wear. Hatco is welcome to comment on this thread, as my aim is not to criticize modern Stetson, just to suggest improvements.

As far as I know hat wearers here want higher crowned hats with wider brims, as worn in what is often referred to as "The Golden Era". Hats then were open crowned, and I think a lot of us here are keen on that. I know a lot of modern hat wearers do not like this do much, but wouldn't it be possible to have the same hats sold both as open crown and pre-creased?

Also, quality is an ongoing debate. Hats from "The Golden Era", like all vintage hats, could be severly mistreated and come out smiling. So I think most hat wearers in this forum want hats which can keep their shape in rain and where the dye does not wash out (which I have heard some people complain about).

So to sum up, I think people in this forum want Stetson to manufacture hats similar in style and quality to those worn in the 1920s-1950s. Like the Nostalgia but with improved durability.

Please would Hatco comment on this to suggest whether the above points are fair.

And please could anyone lounger who agrees with the points I mentioned comment by writing their views or just leaving their name.

Thanks
Alan

NB: I am still quite new here, so if this thread is inappropriate would a bartender please delete it or move it to the correct place.

KeyGrip

A-List Customer
Welcome to the Lounge, Avedwards. You will find that you are not alone in your views on modern Stetsons, and that there a few threads here which cover the subject well.

Do you plan on sending a letter to Hatco?

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
I don't plan on sending a letter, but I intend to make Hatco aware of this thread (if it gains popularity) and use this as a sort of petition of hat wearer, which is why I ask for people who agree to leave their name and/or comments. That is why I invited Hatco to comment, as they have a user in the FL.

jpbales

Practically Family
well, there's a fairly recent thread here along those lines:
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=8571
It's sort of a rant about how the quality of Stetson has gone downhill, and what we should do about it. HatCo has seen this one already.

I think, there's several things that loungers want out of Stetson:
-Higher quality: softer felt that doesn't get runny in the rain
-A higher selection of traditional/classic-style hats: high crowns, tall crowns, wide brims
-More Options:
*creased crowns and open crowns
*ribbon options
*edge-binding options
*liner and sweatband options
*different felt options (like standard quality and deluxe quality felt for the same hat)
*brim trimming options

It seems that adding these options would be easy. When it comes to the creased hats, they could just make all of their hats open crowned then crease them upon request before shipping. They could charge a little extra for the extra options and customizations.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
I have seen the other anti-Hatco threads, which is what prompted me to start this one. The other threads outline the problems. This one is to see how many people would be interested in better hats. This is sort of a petition.

billyspew

One Too Many
I'm all for a constructive thread like this. We want to buy Stetsons, we like vintage styled Stetsons, so give us modern vintage styled Stetsons. It doesn't mean stop with the modern styled ones (I actually quite liked some of the newer ones that Hatco posted), and may buy one or two, but at least listen to us and produce at least one vintage style, not just a vintage name with a modern block.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I hear a lot of ideas for customization and improvement in quality, but not one statement that anyone is willing to pay more for a better hat. What would a really good replica of the old Whippet (or any other classic Stetson) be worth to you? Obviously, if you want the best felt that Stetson has to offer, you're looking at a price tag of over $300, and you're never going to get as many color choices in felt and ribbon as you'd like. For that price, you can get nearly any vintage hat, a custom from Art, or have a good portion of another custom hatter's cost covered.

Even assuming that each of the active members here bought two such modern Stetsons, that's only going to sell about 100-150 hats. Not many other people will buy them, due to the high cost. Most people are shocked when I tell them what I've paid for a hat. Apparently, all hats should cost under $50. It's just not worth Hatco's time to make a quality product, because the public just isn't going to pay for it.

This is not unlike Indian Motorcycles being resurected again with quality & high end being the market focus. The Stetson name is an American Icon like Indian, Harley-Davidson, Smith&Wesson, Colt, etc. but the Hatco company is a conglomerate of other marques. They need to use the Stetson brand like GM uses Cadillac = have the upper end models for the true enthusiest. Triumph motorcycles has come out with build your own concept = pick out a list of options starting with a base model. Hatco could set up a few models like the Nostalgia & open crown Open Road, let folks pick felt color, brim size, edge binding, band ribbon size, bow options, etc.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
I tend to agree with Lefty. Rather than asking this company to change their ways, why not just go with makers who produce what you're looking for -

tinmanzzz

A-List Customer
Hit the Nail on the head

Lefty said:
I hear a lot of ideas for customization and improvement in quality, but not one statement that anyone is willing to pay more for a better hat. What would a really good replica of the old Whippet (or any other classic Stetson) be worth to you? Obviously, if you want the best felt that Stetson has to offer, you're looking at a price tag of over $300, and you're never going to get as many color choices in felt and ribbon as you'd like. For that price, you can get nearly any vintage hat, a custom from Art, or have a good portion of another custom hatter's cost covered.

Even assuming that each of the active members here bought two such modern Stetsons, that's only going to sell about 100-150 hats. Not many other people will buy them, due to the high cost. Most people are shocked when I tell them what I've paid for a hat. Apparently, all hats should cost under $50. It's just not worth Hatco's time to make a quality product, because the public just isn't going to pay for it.
I can dream can't I :p :p :p

What we forget is that in the late 40's and early 50's, a 3X sold for $15, a full size Chevy sold for under $700 and a nice 3 bedroom house was about $5000.
Are we willing to pay $300 for a 3X Stetson or $1000 for a 7X Clear Beaver ??
:eek: :eek:
However, that said, I do believe that there could be a market for city/western cross like a snap brim,open crown Open Road. As it would apeal to the Western market as well as us
I can Dream can't I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe