Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone ride motorcycles?

volleykinginnc

Familiar Face
Hey all....I'm real new to this site and am looking for my first real jacket. I've been searching this site and all over the web trying to pick out a new jacket. I'm looking for input from anyone that actually rides a motorcycle as this will be my go to Jacket for when I'm on the Ducati.

Somethings that I think are important:

Must be heaaavy horsehide and tough as an anvil
I ride a Ducati so style can't be toooo Harleyish....so probably the cafe racer type of look will be good
Zip out lining would be nice to make it usable over a wider temperature range
lots of pockets
zip sleeves

Here's what I've found so far....none of the vintage jackets I've seen have a zip out lining. None (at least none i've seen)of the new Aero/Schott versions have more than a couple of pockets.

So just looking to start a thread dedicated to those who actually ride....any good or bad ideas on the style and make that you are using? Also, does anyone ride anything other than a cruiser or retro type bike?

dr.velociraptor

One of the Regulars
I have the Legendary USA Horsehide jacket, very nice riding jacket. These are made by Schott:

http://www.legendaryusa.com/Thoroughbred-Horsehide-Racer-Motorcycle-Jacket-p/6045h.htm

Not as high quality as your Aero and Lost Worlds, but a solid jacket that should last you 30 years. If you want truly heavy horsehide go with an Aero.

I do ride a Harley so keep that in mind, I really don't know what the sportbike crowds looks for in a jacket.

volleykinginnc

Familiar Face
I have the Legendary USA Horsehide jacket, very nice riding jacket. These are made by Schott:

http://www.legendaryusa.com/Thoroughbred-Horsehide-Racer-Motorcycle-Jacket-p/6045h.htm

Not as high quality as your Aero and Lost Worlds, but a solid jacket that should last you 30 years. If you want truly heavy horsehide go with an Aero.

I do ride a Harley so keep that in mind, I really don't know what the sportbike crowds looks for in a jacket.
That looks awesome.....just curious...do you wear that when you're not on the bike as well....say just for casual

dr.velociraptor

One of the Regulars
That looks awesome.....just curious...do you wear that when you're not on the bike as well....say just for casual

I have before, but to be honest I have a separate jacket for casual wear that is cut different and the collar is standard. But certainly I've seen jackets like these worn for style, I think I'm a touch too old to pull it off off the bike to be honest.

cuthbert

One of the Regulars
If you ride supersports (like me) I would suggest to buy a "contemporary style" jacket like Dainese or Spidi (I've two Spidis, one leather and one cloth), but usually they aren't made of hh, but they have the armour.

The other option would be to custom order an Aero Cafe' Racer, a relatively modern style with all the pockets and lining you want.

Oh,I forgot to say that Schott makes the 641HH with four pockets and lining too...

Last edited:

Mojo1975

Sponsoring Affiliate
At Insurrection, we carry a slimfit Aero horsehide 4-pocket cafe' racer. These jackets are so warm that it would be quite silly to have a zip-out liner installed on the jacket. Layering is the best idea here.
However, if it's performance you want, you DO NOT want horsehide. Horsehide will never move as well as cowhide, nor does it have the abrasion resistance of competition weight cowhide. We carry a simple 2-pocket Vanson PLU-3 that a lot of the sportbike riders like. It only has 3 pockets (two chest, one inside), but when a Streamliner Vest is buttoned in, it has five or six (I forget).
I ride a 200+hp bike to work every day and I ride over 100 days a year at the track. Everyone at Insurrection is involved in the highest levels of West Coast performance riding. There are many different options out there for you without you having to go to the mass-produced stuff that you find at almost every bike shop on Earth!

Wade0001.jpg

Lots of riders here. I might get booted for saying this, but I've been wearing non-leather jackets for about 8 years now.
I like the pads, lighter weight, and coolness (heat, not McQueen)
I then use an electric vest in winter.
Lots of good info here. But I haven't worn leather on my (sport) bike for years now. If I were to go in the track though, I'd certainly do a proper leather outfit, a la Mojo!

Peacoat

Bartender
As Mojo said above, you don't need HH for protection. A good heavyweight steer, such as Vanson (and a bunch of others) will give good protection. You probably have a better selection in the steer than HH.

I used to think I needed a jacket with a removable liner. Now I would rather have no liner but use my own vest, electric or otherwise, instead of the liner.

There are a lot of options out there.

53Effie

A-List Customer
Fox Creek could be something to look at...Maybe the Vented Racing Jacket or the Grayson. Very nice Jackets and a good company to deal with. Both have zip out linings as well.

OneEyeMan

Practically Family
I got 2 words for you: "Vanson Enfield"
I wear it when riding the Speed Triple, and for casual use.
It's the heaviest leather I've ever seen.
It has a perfect retro/modern look to it and is appropriate in all situations.
It's also a perfect fit for my size 40 body.
You can also try the Fox Creek stuff which looks great and is well priced.
However, most of their stuff looks like it's made for riding only.
Good luck,
Lenny

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
However, if it's performance you want, you DO NOT want horsehide. Horsehide will never move as well as cowhide, nor does it have the abrasion resistance of competition weight cowhide. We carry a simple 2-pocket Vanson PLU-3 that a lot of the sportbike riders like. It only has 3 pockets (two chest, one inside), but when a Streamliner Vest is buttoned in, it has five or six (I forget).
I

Now that is interesting. Not what I'm used to reading on this site. I though HH was king. Glad to hear cow is credible.

29 toter

New in Town
I ride and usually use one of my two vanson coats for riding. They can be had with velcro in the shoulders and elbows for pads. Also they can take a snap/zip in lining for warmth. If you ride and wear a back protector you'll need to go up another size. *some Vanson coats are cut to fit in the arms forward "sportbike" position. As such the coat fits fine while riding but fits funny while standing up or walking around.

I also have a Lost Worlds coat that I sometimes wear riding and I have no doubt that the horsehide would protect my hide. Still with that said protecting back and bones is worth thinking about. If interested in high quality pad protection, look into Johnson leathers on the west coast.

Last edited:

ando.thun

New in Town
If you are used to new style motorcycle gear, driving a sport bike with a traditional HH Jacket becomes quite uncomfortable.
It is not so bad for naked bikes as you don't have to bend that much to get a grip on the handlebars.

There has been a discussion about the weight of Motorcycle Jackets and I would like to add a quote:
I had a heavy FQHH Aero Cafe Racer and sold it after half a year of riding my Moto Guzzi Cafe Racer. It was to uncomfortable.

But as I really love the Style I now have bought a used one made from a lighter HH. The look is nearly the same and it fits like a glove. The heavy one was more like a suit of armour.

Don't get me wrong, I really like the look and feel of the heavy FQHH and know how much work you have to put in it to get it worn in. I own a really heavy Highwayman and use it for long walks with the dogs . But with the trim-fit style the heavy HH did not worked for me.

I ride about 20'000km a year and never used the zip out lining of any of my jackets. If need be, I layer up and benefit from greater flexibility.

I use the Aero Cafe Racer for riding my heavily altered Guzzi Racer on Sundays in style. But for everything else, especially commuting I go for a Gore-Tex suit.

Aether

One of the Regulars
I'd put it like this: If I want to be warm, comfortable, dry and well protected I'll wear modern bike gear. If I want to look cool I'll wear my HH. More often than not I'd rather look cool than be 'safe' or comfortable...
BTW I ride both a sportsbike and a Harley.

Magister

Familiar Face
I'd put it like this: If I want to be warm, comfortable, dry and well protected I'll wear modern bike gear. If I want to look cool I'll wear my HH. More often than not I'd rather look cool than be 'safe' or comfortable...
BTW I ride both a sportsbike and a Harley.

I'm with this guy; I go with function over form since safety is a concern. Get something with armor as well as abrasion resistance. My leather jacket is and Xpert Leather JD jacket. It's style is a lot like the Luftwaffe-style jackets you see posted here. It is 1.5mm cowhide with kevlar stitching in the main seams and both hard and soft sets of armor.

That said, I usually ride around in a gruesomely unstylish Aerostich Darien suit.

I ride a sport-touring bike and also an old school sidecar rig.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Cold Weather Gear

Here is what not to wear! Me, at this years OBR 9, Old Bike Ride. Yes it is cold in the mountains!
Sportster1.jpg
Sportster4.jpg
Sportster3.jpg

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
The Irish In Me

Just found another great picture of proper ridding gear! This is me at the ST Patricks day parade about a decade ago! Nothing like the Hawaiian branch of the Irish tree!
Action.jpg

Aether

One of the Regulars
Nice bikes Stearmen. Cafe racer Sportster and a Norton Commando? Got a good Rocker look going on there too!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe