Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone know of any sites for vintage clothing for a student budget?

Puzzicato

One Too Many
Amy said:
I might sew some pearl beads around the neck to add interest, add a thin belt to cinch in the waist a bit, or change modern plastic buttons (if it has any) for something more vintage-inspired.

This is something I have only just started to do - it is amazing how much difference a prettier button can make!

Amy

New in Town
Oh yes, I agree! I always cut pretty buttons off clothes that have died, and use them later. I'm sure it's the single easiest way to transform an outfit!

Mrs. Merl

Practically Family
I think one of the most important things to consider is that a really great wardrobe does not happen overnight. Many people recommend building a wardrobe over the span of a decade. I know to our modern way of doing things this seems interminable - but I think the idea is that you will collect very quality pieces as you can afford them and change through more inexpensive pieces to make things work in the mean time. Not to mention many people feel that it takes a decent amount of time to really learn your style, what works for you, etc. I think many people think too much in terms of shows such as "What Not to Wear" and are sucked into the idea that I need to change to the perfect wardrobe tomorrow! Give yourself time to grow into who you want to be and the image you want to project.

Amy

New in Town
I absolutely agree with this. I have a few pieces that I hope I will still be wearing in thirty year's time, but for the most part, I'm buying cheaper clothes that will do for a while, replacing them as I can need to or can afford to. Before I get there, I'll style my looks with fun accessories, and continue buy clothes that suit my shape.

I also think think the detail is important. No one tends to notice a cheap dress if everything else is polished. I try to make sure my hair nails and make-up are groomed, or at least tidy. I don't really spend much on this, I do my own nails at home, and I cut and colour my own hair. I am fortunate that I've learned how to do this from my hairdresser mother and hairdresser friends over the years, and it's certainly saved me money. I'd also suggest attending a local beauty school for your treatments, where the more experienced students are supervised by their tutors, often for a fraction of the price of the salon. They tend to explain what they're doing and why, if you ask, and you can learn to do your own treatments in time.

CherryWry

One of the Regulars
I second what Mrs. Merl says about taking your time to build a wardrobe you love. I've reached the point where I don't buy anything I'm ambivalent about. I have to love the cut, color, details, fit and fabric. After deciding those work for me, I try to determine if the amount of wear I'll get out of a piece justifies the price.

When you're starting off, I think it's not a bad plan to get a few inexpensive pieces to bridge the gap until you figure out what you really love and what works best with your body and the other clothes in your closet. For example, I would be lost without a black pencil skirt. When the one I have dies, you can bet I'll go buy the closest thing I can find to the right one that very night. But then I'll keep looking for one that meets all my criteria for the perfect pencil skirt.

My money mostly goes to vintage purses and repro shoes.

Shopping off-season can help, too...some of the department stores and places like Ann Taylor will have a lot of classic pieces for sale at the end of the season that can really help build your wardrobe for next year.

Amy

New in Town
I just got off the phone to my dad (he's a Golden Era boy!). When I asked him about this, he told me that the single most important thing about clothes, for men or women was the fit. Make sure they fit properly, and they will look a million dollars. If you can't have them made, get them altered to fit properly or lean to do it yourself. I agree, altering cheap clothes to fit has saved me lots of money in the past (and present!).

That was pretty much all he had to say on the matter, apart from the youth of today not dressing properly, that air hostesses were smart once upon a time, and that dressing well used to be a matter of personal pride... ...We were on the phone for over an hour. And he hates to talk! lol

melancholy baby

New in Town
Vintage on a budget

I agree with the other ladies in that a thrift store is a girl's best friend.
I also agree that modern retro shapes and styles are worth buying too.
It may be considered cheating but they come in a variety of sizes and you can wash them more easily. Sixty year old fabrics are fragile.
Size might not be your issue but it can be for some of us.
If you don't want to "cheat" perhaps you can limit your puchases and mix and match? I would suggest doing a bit of homework on your fashion eras of interest so you know what to look for. Patience is a must too.
A book on fashion I have from 1939 suggests choosing pieces that will compliment several outfits. (It also seems to suggest that a lady in 1939 of modest means might not have a lot of clothes.) It says hats, scarves, pins, and jewelry enable a woman to be chic on a budget.
I would suggest scouring estate sales, rummage sales, thrift stores (and even antigue malls) for the must have accessories, as well as vintage hats and coats. Some of them can be quite inexpensive.

Honey Bee

One of the Regulars
Most definetly the thrift stores are your best friend..they are mine! My fave one has a "All-you-can-stuff-in-a-bag=for=$10 Sale" a few times a year..I usually end up with a bag...or two ;)
One sweater I got today for 50 cents (today it was sweaters for .50 cents and pants for $1 !), a furry little mohair number that looks very 50's, has a hole not quite where a flower or pin would go, but I thought if I make a feather pin that swooped a bit, it would work...now I have to go find some feathers!
I got a suit as well for $8.50 that is new, by Jones, but has a nice vintage style to it and doesn't even seem to have been worn.
As far as wearing real vintage vs. vintage looking, I agree that old fabrics can be tricky to clean so do take that into consideration. I don't see a problem wearing something new that looks vintage, especially if you have to wash things at a laundrmat...those machines are rough on clothes, old or new!
Garage sales are good too, although some folks are rather fond of their clothes and would rather give them to goodwill then to price them reasonably.

Kiri

One of the Regulars
Absolutely thrift stores. That's where I've found almost everything I own. My favorite thrift store has fill a bag for $5 dollars every Tuesday, I don't make it as often as I'd like, but it's great when I get to go. I have a very low budget too, so thrift stores are nice for that.

RodeoRose

A-List Customer
The thrift stores in my area, at least, seem pretty clued into the fact that vintage (1970s or older, in their minds) equals mark-up worthy :rolleyes: Anyway, I have found antique stores to be my best bet for vintage. I have one little place I adore where I've picked up Victorian nightgowns, 1930s dresses, and all kinds of beautiful antique and vintage hats and accessories for so cheap! The most I've ever spent on one piece is $20.00 there (that was for a stunning black crepe 1930s dress with a lace inset... no doubt I could turn around and resell it for three or four times that amount, but I'm smitten with it!). I guess the one advantage to living in the absolute middle of nowhere is that I live where dealers shop. But yeah, if you're ever roadtripping through some small towns, make a point to scour the little antique places. They're generally nice about bargaining, too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe