Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone else dreading the new Indiana Jones film?

MAB1

Suspended
We all know it's coming. I'd love to have a Fed but... I'm a lil glad I don't have one right now.

I can't wait to see the new movie. What channel will it be on? ;)

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
I wore a Stetson Temple, today. While walking down the sidewalk, I heard a horn go "honk-honk-honk." Two happy teen-age girls, who don't know me from Harrison Ford, joyously waved at me. I saw them, a few minutes later, at "our favorite discount store." When they caught sight of me, they started giggling and whispering to each other. To tell you the truth, I didn't mind one bit! :)

RBH

Bartender
J.T.Marcus said:
I wore a Stetson Temple, today. While walking down the sidewalk, I heard a horn go "honk-honk-honk." Two happy teen-age girls, who don't know me from Harrison Ford, joyously waved at me. I saw them, a few minutes later, at "our favorite discount store." When they caught sight of me, they started giggling and whispering to each other. To tell you the truth, I didn't mind one bit! :)
:D :D :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
kabuto said:
"Crew cap" = baseball cap? Fedora to baseball cap?!

Yes, they are baseball caps...BUT, with a distinct difference! My present avatar is a photograph of the cap worn by Lt. Cecil Foster on display in a museum. He is from my home state, and an F-86 Sabre ace from the Korean War. I hear he's in his 80s now. Here are the two pictures I got with my phone camera:
hat.jpg

Another Michigan ace:
273879781_926430126_0.jpg

They are not your average ballcap, they are 8 panel caps, rare after 1956. I have ordered two identical caps from Cooperstown to re-create them with the appropriate insignia, but the red one I ordered will have a different squadron insignia on it. I'll post them when I'm ready.

Anyone who is willing to wear a fedora, should. I'm just in a different "place" these days.

dean

One of the Regulars
J.T.Marcus said:

:eusa_clap :D Way to go, JT!

Maguire

Practically Family
ScottyBlues said:
Truthfully, I am looking forward to seeing the film. However, I'm someone whose interest in wearing fedoras has nothing to do with those films. I wear fedoras every day and everywhere I go. I rarely get comments about Indiana Jones, probably because I tend to dress in a more elegant manner than pairing it with a leather jacket. Still, I'm worried that the film will provoke comparisons.

I always find it odd that so many people think we wear hats because we are trying to look or be like someone. The only person I'm trying to look or be like is me. The fedora matches my self image.

I might have to dust off my Homburg for a while to avoid these issues.
Honestly this is my problem with wearing hats and even sometimes suits in general. I don't want to appear to be "fetishistic" or something, or playing dress up. Its not my fault that everyone dresses in an ugly manner, but i am not trying to attract attention. For that reason i tend to be more low key and haven't worn any fedora or head covering in awhile (well that and for other reasons as well). Once I get a better quality fedora though, i may change that, but still there's always that bothersome feeling that someone may think i'm trying to be trendy, or "hip" or something. I just find them aesthetically pleasing. But there is some truth to it as well- its one thing to dress nicely, .. another to go playing dress up. Just because something looks "cool" or good doesn't mean one should go around wearing it daily. Hell, i think early SS uniforms were aesthetically near perfect, likewise for the NKVD ones, but you won't see me on the street dressed as one!

It depends on age too. I'm only 20 so it obviously isn't going to be the same for me to wear a fedora as for someone much older. the other issue is that i'm living in a very jewish part of NYC (in queens) and wearing a fedora would get me mistaken for an orthodox jew. If i was jewish that wouldn't bother me obviously, but since i'm not, i'd rather avoid looking like one. but most of them wear very wide brim, black fedoras, i've got only brown and grey fedoras. I do get occasional joke, especially if i'm wearing a black overcoat and a black suit that i "look like a rabbi" etc.

Pat_H

A-List Customer
ScottyBlues said:
Truthfully, I am looking forward to seeing the film. However, I'm someone whose interest in wearing fedoras has nothing to do with those films. I wear fedoras every day and everywhere I go. I rarely get comments about Indiana Jones, probably because I tend to dress in a more elegant manner than pairing it with a leather jacket. Still, I'm worried that the film will provoke comparisons.

I always find it odd that so many people think we wear hats because we are trying to look or be like someone. The only person I'm trying to look or be like is me. The fedora matches my self image.

My feelings exactly.

Fedoraphile

New in Town
obiwan said:
I get;

Bing
Dick Tracy
Frank

Never heard Indy, yet.

I get, or have heard, these kinds of comments:

"Nice hat!"
"Every man should own a fedora" (coming from a lady)
"I wish fedoras and the 50s style of dressing would come back. Look at the stuff people are wearing these days."
"That hat is totally you."
"Nice lid!"
"Where'd you get that?!"
"Where can I get one of those?"
"Who made that hat!?"
"The man in the white hat."

Gotta love it.

Fedoraphile

I am Akubra Man

New in Town
ScottyBlues said:

Firstly: I'm back! (after an extended absence :) )

Although I usually wear hats of a more cowboy oriented persuasion (either custom made or Akubra, I won't touch a stetson or resistol unless someone's pointing a gun to my head), I do have a few indy style fedoras at home. Funnily enough, I NEVER get indy-themed comments or questions when I'm wearing my Federation or Federation Deluxe, but I get them alot when I'm wearing my Akubras (of any sort, especially my Overlander or Blue Mountains). Weird, huh?

rokket

New in Town
Maguire, I hear what you're saying, mate. But then, I look at a lot of wild outfits that are drawing attention (Goth, Punk, Plain Wild!), and I do notice that no one is outwardly going bug-eyed at them, and that the wearers are enjoying themselves!

There is a difference, as you say, between making a statement/dressing up, and just looking good, and others may not see that. I wish I could comfortably wear 1880s outfits with out the above! But unless very rich, I'm afraid people would think I was odd.

BUT, that's not going to stop me from wearing my hat, or from putting together a nice 40s suit! Put on the hat and who cares what others think? As you walk around, know that you have a lot of "brothers and sisters" wearing hats too!

Maguire

Practically Family
rokket said:
Maguire, I hear what you're saying, mate. But then, I look at a lot of wild outfits that are drawing attention (Goth, Punk, Plain Wild!), and I do notice that no one is outwardly going bug-eyed at them, and that the wearers are enjoying themselves!

There is a difference, as you say, between making a statement/dressing up, and just looking good, and others may not see that. I wish I could comfortably wear 1880s outfits with out the above! But unless very rich, I'm afraid people would think I was odd.

BUT, that's not going to stop me from wearing my hat, or from putting together a nice 40s suit! Put on the hat and who cares what others think? As you walk around, know that you have a lot of "brothers and sisters" wearing hats too!
Indeed, Solidarity amongst hat wearers!

as to what you said regarding the absurd fashions today.. just because no one outward says anything doesn't mean people don't think. i know myself what is in my head when someone walks into the photo lab looking like a gimp with a dozen tattoos, rings on their lips and eyebrows.. etc. Sure i'm not going to say something but i'm definitely thinking something. Then again there is a big difference between wearing a fedora and dressing in a suit and dressing punk, goth, etc.

WideBrimm

A-List Customer
Can't Wait for the Bargains

I'm not dreading the film at all, although I'll certainly be glad when the craze runs its course. I'll be looking forward to finding a few thrift store bargains for fedoras beginning maybe six or eight months from now. :D

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
Actually I already dread how much the movie is being advertised.
That didn't stop me from taking my kids to Burger King... and buying a kids meal to get the Indy toy....O.K. I got one for me too to get the journal....alright I'll admit I thought it was cool.
That's all I'll admit for now. ;)

Sincerely,
The Wolf

Madcap72

One of the Regulars
I don't like the screen cap I saw of that Shea Lebuff kid, he's just a little young faced kid and they dress him like Marlon Brando, and throw him on a big ass HD. At least they could out him on a Triumph, a bike fitting of his size. OR be over the top, and a Vincent Black Shadow.

Maguire

Practically Family
The Wolf said:
Actually I already dread how much the movie is being advertised.
That didn't stop me from taking my kids to Burger King... and buying a kids meal to get the Indy toy....O.K. I got one for me too to get the journal....alright I'll admit I thought it was cool.
That's all I'll admit for now. ;)

Sincerely,
The Wolf
the beauty of not watching TV means i'm going to go into it pretty much without expectations. TV really is a poison on the mind.

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
I'm looking forward to the film, I have an Akubra Adventurer that might draw comments. I'm getting to be old enough that people tend to be more polite about that kind of thing. I guess I'll see 'cause I intend to keep wearing it!

Gaige

One of the Regulars
I'm psyched about the film; I've loved the Indy flicks since I was a kid and I'm certainly not feeling different about it now at 32.

The character is an icon. If there are Indy comments... so be it. I can't, for the life of me, find anything wrong with that! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe