Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone care to waltz?

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Waltz, schottiche, polka, marzurka, a little foxtrot...done 'em all, and not too badly.

But savoy lindy hop is still my first love.

lindylady

A-List Customer
Why, sir, I'd love to waltz! Actually, there's a big Strauss ball coming up in April here in this area. I'm looking forward to going and learning new patterns.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Klutz

I got bamboozled into taking ballroom dancing lessons 21 years ago, much to my everlasting NON regret. I got competent at fox trot and Lindy, but never quite got the hang of the rest of the "Basic 6" (foxtrot, waltz, tango, rhumba, cha cha, lindy). I'd love to finally master the waltz, it was considered the Devil's Dance of its day. Mucho fun! Very sennnsssssuuualllll.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Gone a waltzing...

fourstarbanner said:
Yes, please! I'm taking lessons right now, and I would love the practice! :D

Two years ago I met a girl from South Dakota who was on a student exchange visit with her university (she was doing teacher training) and she was lovely. Sadly, I didn't pick up the nerve to invite her to go waltzing, or tango or salsa or anything to be honest. A real missed opportunity, as we had such a lovely chat for an hour on that bus ride around the Scottish borders. Waltzing in the grounds of Alnwick Castle would have been delightful!

Moving swiftly on...I do enjoy formal dancing and although the ballroom has dropped off a bit, the Argentine Tango (my latest passion) is taking off!!! Come Fly With me....!!!

pretty faythe

One Too Many
I think I remember the waltz. Way back in high school I took dance instead of a second year of phys ed. Much more fun. Waltz was one of the ones that stick in the head, or should I say feet.

SinatraStyle

A-List Customer
I love to Waltz...it is by far my favorite smooth dance. My wife and I danced to a waltz at our wedding (it took some fancy footwork to avoid getting caught up in her dress). I wish that we had more time for it now; it seems life keeps getting in the way. We'll have to do something about that.

SinatraStyle

A-List Customer
Harry Pierpont said:
Bonniejean and I are taking dance lessons also, Fox Trot, Waltz, and Swing, although that swing is tiring on my old fat but!lol

The great thing about the music of swing and fox trot is that a lot of the music is interchangeable...you can switch between the two dances. Sometimes it's nice to take a little "break" in the middle of a swing and do a little fox trot. Try it out!

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I'd like to learn but I'd need a very tolerant partner. I was apparently standing in line for enthusiasm when they were handing out grace.:eusa_doh:

-Viola

Chanfan

A-List Customer
Heh, I should learn to Waltz, as my wife loves it (and likes to wear repro 1880's ballgowns). I just don't think I can figure out how to wear the bustle.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
SinatraStyle said:
The great thing about the music of swing and fox trot is that a lot of the music is interchangeable...you can switch between the two dances.
If you were over 21 at the time the jitterbug craze hit, the two dances were interchangeable. You simply sat out the faster stuff and left space for the skirt-twirlers.

The waltz got typed as a slow, windshield-wiper kind of dance by that time, but there once were exuberant beer-garden waltzes that went OOMP, papa! OOMP, papa! OOMP! with a sort of free-wheeling formality.

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Yes!

The BF and I learnt a beautiful waltz late last year for New Year. However, we swiftly learnt that we need a HUGE dancefloor on which to do it, all to ourselves.

I love the foxtrot. So easy and always suitable. Must go for more lessons. We were very lucky that a friend of ours is a professional dance teacher and a very patient man. He gave us one to one lessons which really helped.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld