Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any Hat Stretching Ideas...

562lonnie

New in Town
Hello all,
I own a Borsolino Rain proof line felt hat that I decided to take to the cleaners to have a spot removed.
When I did pick it up and put it on my head it was like I put a hat 2 sizes smaller on.
I asked the guy what happened and he said all he did was hand clean it. I asked if he wet it and he said no.
I also noticed that the inside liner came undone too and he put tape to kind of put it back in place. I did reglue it back but it not the same like before.
I did try to use a piece of aluminum sheet metal bended to fit inside the hat to stretch it out but it is still not quite the same either. I have to really stretch it before I do wear it and it is still tight.
Any suggestions to stretch it back to shape???:eusa_doh:
I also noticed that the quality of the newer Borsolinos don't compare with the quality of the old...too bad about that.

Regards,
Lonnie

fatwoul

Practically Family
Hey Lonnie.

I tried makeshift methods to stretch a hat, but really the only one that reliably works is a proper hat-stretcher:

StretcherSML.jpg

Most hat shops seem to keep some, as do most of the sites people mention here. There are a few different stretchers available, wooden and plastic. Personally, I opted for a wooden one, for two reasons.

First, I think that the wood is probably kinder to the leather sweatband than plastic would be. Wood can cope with a little moisture, drawing it away from the leather. Plastic instead tends to leave moisture on the sweatband surface, where it can mark the surface of the leather. Plastic stretchers also tend to have plastic thread on their screw, which is more likely to bind, and less likely to be able to be adjusted finely and accurately.

The other nice thing about wooden stretchers is that they can be modified easily, to better suit any peculiarities in your own personal head shape. I reshaped my stretcher using a Dremel, and the result is that whenever I use it, the hat in question fits perfectly, as if I have worn it for years.

The most important thing to remember, when using a stretcher, is to do things slowly, increasing the size very gradually, perhaps only a fraction of a turn a day, until the hat is the desired size. Periodically take the stretcher out, and try the hat on, to make sure you aren't going to far. Whilst the stretcher is out, also check that the leather of the sweatband is coping with what you're doing. Make sure there are no splits starting to happen, and that the stitching at the rear of the band is intact. Once you find the size that is comfortable, put the stretcher back in, and leave it that way for a week or so, just to convince the hat to stay that way for a little longer.

As for the liner, they can be a pain to put back the way they were. I have found that the hat liner is possibly one of the most complex shapes to get your head around, or rather, to get around your head.

The best way seems to be to remove the liner, make sure the the split at the back is open (not attached to itself). Pop the crown creases out, turn the sweatband inside-out, put the liner in straight. Apply four tiny dabs of PVA north, south, east and west, just to keep the liner in place. Don't bother gluing all the way around, because the sweatband will mostly keep it in place, and the liner needs some room to move. If the creases will pop back into place naturally, then you can do that now, but if its going to require proper reshaping, leave it until the end. Let the glue dry before you put the sweatband back to where it was. That should do it. I've tried a lot of different ways, and keeping it simple really does seem to be the trick.

For a fancier hat, with a stitched-in liner, forget everything I just said and wait for a fancier person to reply to your message. :eek:

562lonnie

New in Town
Thanks fellas.
The wooden stretcher is probably the way to go.
Thanks for the help. One thing for sure...I will never get my hats dry cleaned again.

Regards,
Lonnie

astaire

One of the Regulars
Never send your hats to the dry cleaners. They don't know a thing about cleaning felt.

Always send them to the professional hatters often mentioned in the lounge. Check out the old threads; they are very informative and will prevent you to doing damage to your hats. A word of warning: it's going to be addictive ;)

BTW, welcome to the lounge my friend!

majormoore

Vendor
RBH is right if the hat has gone down that much, I don't think the wooden stretcher will get it back to your size.
Mike Moore

RBH said:
Fats is very correct... get a wooden hat stretcher, BUT if the hat has gone down 2 sizes, the stretcher may not help.

562lonnie

New in Town
I think I can get it to stretch because when I used that bent piece of aluminum sheeting it got it down pretty close.
But it is not there yet. Its like wearing a tight hat that would leave a noticable ring on my forehead when removed.
I really don't wear it because of that.
I like the wooden stretcher idea... I will prevail.
Thanks for the welcome too.

Regards,
Lonnie

SinatraStyle

A-List Customer
Lonnie,

I picked up a hat stretcher just like the one below on ebay for less than $10. It was definitely worth the investment. Another option would be to take the hat to a hat shop and have it stretched. Western stores will often be able to do this. They usually stretch the hat overnight. Keep in mind that the longer the hat is on the stretcher, the better it will keep its new size. I usually keep my hat on a stretcher for about a week.

StretcherSML.jpg

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
SinatraStyle said:
Lonnie,

I picked up a hat stretcher just like the one below on ebay for less than $10. It was definitely worth the investment. Another option would be to take the hat to a hat shop and have it stretched. Western stores will often be able to do this. They usually stretch the hat overnight. Keep in mind that the longer the hat is on the stretcher, the better it will keep its new size. I usually keep my hat on a stretcher for about a week.

StretcherSML.jpg

I couldn't agree more, best $10 I've spent in a long time. :eusa_clap

fatwoul

Practically Family
SinatraStyle said:
Lonnie,

I picked up a hat stretcher just like the one below on ebay for less than $10...

Well, not exactly like the one below. That one is personalised. ;)

Pilgrim

One Too Many
Lonnie, you need to use a good hat stretcher AND be patient. I suspect it will take a couple of weeks in the stretcher to get the hat back to shape. Start with moderate tension, but go back and increase the tension a bit every couple of days. PATIENCE is your friend with this process. You're actually stretching the sweatband more than the felt, and you don't want to tear the leather sweatband. If you have some of the "shoe stretcher" liquid (mostly alcohol, I suspect) you can wipe it onto the sweatband and let it soak in for a few seconds before applying the stretcher.

Also, as you have learned, never, ever, ever, ever take a hat to a general cleaners. They no longer have any idea what they're doing with hats. Also, your liner should probably be stitched in place if needed - not glued. Glue can get into the felt and create problems. I have a couple of hats with liners that are not fastened at all and they stay in place pretty well.

Bud-n-Texas

Practically Family
Lonnie, Pilgrim is giving very good advice. This topic has been cover numerous times, if you do a search you will find many threads on this topic. Contrary to what some claim, 2 sizes is NOT a problem, so long as you take your time. I have taken a size 7 Borsalino and stretched it so that it fits my 7 3/8 noggin.

80ea_1.jpg

P1010229.jpg

P1010226.jpg

I used a vintage wooden stretcher, water, Lexol and time. It can be done. You are simply restoring the hat to its original size. Take your time and you should have no problems. Good luck

It's a pity what the dry cleaner did to your lid, lonnie. Pilgrim got it right -- rare is the modern dry cleaner who knows what to do with a felt hat. To their credit, clothing cleaners are generally aware of that and decline the challenge.

I've found stitching in the liner so easy that I wonder why anyone would resort to double-backed tape. To get an idea of how it's done, turn out the sweatband on a hat with a stitched-in liner. (A vintage one is probably the safest bet.) It'll be apparent.

Now, as to stretching ...
Yup, there's a slew of threads here on that very topic. And there's a great deal of tried-and-true advice therein. The gist of it is that a good stretcher (as opposed to one of those Hat Jack things) makes life much easier; steam helps quite a bit; leather-stretching juice is advisable; and, as Pilgrim noted, patience is the key. (Still, a Hat Jack is about all that's readily available to most of us, and they're a darned sight better than no stretcher at all. And they don't cost much. But they're no match for one of those dome-shaped stretchers that stretch the entire crown, and not just the bottom inch or two of it.)
Old-hat sizes vary so much that it's hard to know how much you can stretch a hat until you have it in your possession and drop it atop your head and give stretching a shot. Stretched hats often want to go back to their former sizes, so one that fits about right fresh off the stretcher may feel decidedly snug a couple of hours later. So back on the rack it goes until the lesson takes.
Stretching (and downsizing) are tricks a vintage-hat collector learns, unless he is happy to have a bunch of hats he just can't wear, or content to forgo some interesting old lids because they aren't quite the right size.

562lonnie

New in Town
Thanks for all the help and advice with this problem guys. I did purchase me a Resistol cedar hat stretcher of ebay for $13.95 and shipping another $5.25 so a grand total of $19.20. I figure it's a good investment and I really don't have any other options but to own one. Now I can bring my borso back to life.
Thanks again for all the advice and you can best believe I will use them all.
P.S...They sure nail you on the shipping don't they???

Regards,
Lonnie

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe