Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any hat stores in Dallas?

hattrick

New in Town
Hi all, this is my first post to this forum! (*waves at everyone*).

I've been looking for a few days now to find a place in the Dallas Ft. Worth area for a good place to buy fedoras. I have been completely unsuccessful. If you know of a good spot to check out hats, please let me know. I want to hold them, feel them, and try them on first. :eek:

suitedcboy

One Too Many
The Resistol/Hatco outlet store A few blocks off north Garland Rd is a good place but the selection is at times good and at times awful. Even if color and brim width are not what you are looking for, you can get an idea of your size and head shape.

Resistol Hats Outlet Store at 721 Marion Dr, Garland, TX 75042

hattrick

New in Town
Yeah I was tempted to go there this weekend, but after reading a few posts here on the forum, I decided it might be a waste of time. It'd take me a good while to get over there and back.

High Pockets

Practically Family
hattrick said:
oh to hell with it.

I just purchased a moonstone fed IV deluxe.

:D I like your attitude!! :eusa_clap

I researched the Oklahoma City area for a hat shop, found not one and thought; "Oh well,....what'd I expect? It's Oklahoma for cryin' out loud."

But Dallas/Ft. Worth? That surprizes me!

I've learned enough from reading thousands of member's posts and enjoying the pictures they share, that I feel pretty confident ordering a hat on line.
As a matter of fact, just the other day after reading several pages of the Akubra threads, I ordered the exact same hat you just did!

High Pockets said:
I researched the Oklahoma City area for a hat shop, found not one and thought; "Oh well,....what'd I expect? It's Oklahoma for cryin' out loud."

But Dallas/Ft. Worth? That surprizes me!
In OKC in Stockyard city there is Shorty's. She does custom work & refurbed some hats for me. They are mainly western custom hatters tho.

Peter's Bros is in Ft. Worth. http://www.pbhats.com/

High Pockets

Practically Family
gtdean48 said:
In OKC in Stockyard city there is Shorty's. She does custom work & refurbed some hats for me. They are mainly western custom hatters tho.

:D I know her well.
It's funny,.....she'll answer to the name "Shorty" but Shorty passed away several years ago. They put together beautiful hats,....but no fedoras.

A while back I talked to them about cutting down the brim on a few of my old Stetsons and Baileys and reblocking them. While I know for a fact they could build a couple beautiful looking fedoras,....the felt would be too stiff.

Although as a fedora,......they would be able to take a good beating in the rain and hail!:)

I was at the HatCo Garland outlet this pass weekend and there were a couple of caribou (grey) Nostalgia (open crown) available in 7 1/4 and 7 3/8 for around $55.00.

High Pockets said:
:D I know her well.
It's funny,.....she'll answer to the name "Shorty" but Shorty passed away several years ago. They put together beautiful hats,....but no fedoras.
Sorry to hear that. Shorty made a custom western for me about 10 years ago. I didn't get by there last NRHA futurity, first time in years. I had not heard of her passing. My 100% natural beaver western is a nice lid. The owner of Winchester felt factory recognized his blank when we met in Monteagle.

High Pockets

Practically Family
gtdean48 said:
Sorry to hear that. Shorty made a custom western for me about 10 years ago. I didn't get by there last NRHA futurity, first time in years. I had not heard of her passing. My 100% natural beaver western is a nice lid. The owner of Winchester felt factory recognized his blank when we met in Monteagle.

Woah, breakdown in communication,....sorry, the woman that made the hat for you is fine,.....her name is not Shorty although she answers to it, only because everyone assumes she's "Shorty",....she's not, she just bought the shop along with the name of the business.

Shorty was the original hatter, who was an old man for as long as I can remember. It was he who unfortunately passed on several years ago.

Way off topic I know but wanted to clear that up for anyone who might read this thread.

Back on topic;......I think I may have to make the short little trip on down I-35 sometime in the near future. I've got to check out that outlet mall,.....like Hattrick says; there ain't nothing like holding a few hats in your hot little hands and actually trying them on before buying two or five.

Gotcha. She is a rather short woman that introduced herself as Shorty to me at the booth she had at Will Rogers Arena during the futurity. She also reworked a damaged Open Road & refurbed a Resistol for me, too.
Thanks for the clarification.
High Pockets said:
Woah, breakdown in communication,....sorry, the woman that made the hat for you is fine,.....
Shorty was the original hatter, who was an old man for as long as I can remember. It was he who unfortunately passed on several years ago.

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hattrick, I have had good luck at the Hatco Outlet in finding a variety of styles and colors there. Give it a try; its a pretty nice place to lose two or three hours. I have never thought it a waste of time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe