Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Another question about hair--taming the mane.

wahine

Practically Family
Thanks Sheeplady, I'll try this.

Never heard of rinsing hair with tea, sounds like it's worth a try. Use only black tea or just any kind, turning your hair in your favorite color? :D
I'd prefer red fruit tea then and stay away from green tea.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Thanks Sheeplady, I'll try this.

Never heard of rinsing hair with tea, sounds like it's worth a try. Use only black tea or just any kind, turning your hair in your favorite color? :D
I'd prefer red fruit tea then and stay away from green tea.

Yeah, I'd stay away from Green Tea. lol I don't imagine that would be good.

The reason why black tea is used because it is acidic, like vinegar. I'm not sure that herbal tea would actually be acidic enough (but maybe someone here who is a chemist could help us out)?

I do know that some people mix ground cloves in their black tea or vinegar to try to bring out the reds in their hair. I think you need to heat the mixture to activate the cloves, but let it cool before putting it on your hair. I find that apple cider vinegar tends to bring out my red highlights, white vinegar brings out the blonde. Overall, it hasn't changed my hair color, it just accents it one way or another and the "effect" washes out.

I'm wondering if you mixed a bit of black tea and herbal tea together (or used a flavored black tea) you could get a reddish color?

wahine

Practically Family
Cloves are supposed to bring out the red? I wouldn't have expected that.
Can't really imagine how tea mixed with cloves will smell.
Never know who you gonna attract. :cool:

zombi

A-List Customer
About natural methods of colouring hair --

I mix passion flower tea in with my henna & cassia, but I have also used chamomile. Both chamomile and a tea of catnip leaves can be used for golden tones in hair. Clove is usually added by henna-users to boost some of the brown in their henna mix, but I don't know what it does on its own. Lemon, honey, and white vinegar can be rinsed in for lightening over time. Apple cider vinegar does tend to bring more brassy results. Obviously, with natural methods, one should not expect an overnight difference but rather subtle changes over time with repeated use. Black coffee can be used in dark hair for darkening effects, as can the herb amla.

Honey lightening works because honey has a natural peroxide in it. The honey lightening process is, uh, kind of long but it does work like a subtle bleach. Obviously with repeated use the results are more visible.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld