Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Another New Highwayman – incorporating many of your suggestions

OneStar

New in Town
My Aero Highwayman arrived about 2 weeks ago. I gave Amanda a spec which included many of the ideas posted here over the past months:

• Brown, Full Quarter Horse Hide

• Bi-swing Back

• Remove Storm Cuffs

• Leather facing inside the cuffs – like Cossack style cuffs

• 2 inch leather strip across inside bottom to protect edge of lining

• No chest pockets (Plain Chest)

• Two vertical “map” pockets opening on the inside leather facings, both with snap closures

• Lining - Mackenzie Weathered Tartan

• Sleeves lined in cotton drill with a rayon overlay

• All pockets lined in brown corduroy

IMG_2620.jpg

IMG_2614.jpg

I like the look of the clean plain front; I feel chest pockets are rarely used. Instead I went for “map” pockets on both sides of the inside leather facing so I have 2 useful, secure pockets to use. Both have snap closures as I feel zippers are harder to access.

IMG_2610.jpg

All pockets are lined in brown corduroy – a really excellent suggestion. Thanks.
IMG_2611.jpg

The lining both at the base of the jacket and inside the sleeve, finishes before the edge which I am sure will prove really durable.

IMG_2617.jpg

The Mackenzie Weathered Tartan lining works well with the brown FQHH.

IMG_2599.jpg

As far as fit is concerned: As you can see, I am of the “stockier” build and the jacket will never look as good as it does on some of you svelte gentlemen. I wanted the jacket to allow a little wriggle-room and to be able to expand a bit as the years creep on. Amanda suggested a stock standard 46 which I think was the right call. For now, I have cinched the buckles in to give a trim fit around the waist (or should that be “under the belly”).

IMG_2600.jpg

IMG_2602.jpg

IMG_2603.jpg

The bottom of the jacket hits just below the belt which I think is about right and I like where the sleeves finish. Unfortunately these images with me wearing the jacket makes it look almost black. The detail shots are much more true to the actual colour.

I really love this jacket; so beautifully made by Vicki at Aero. It is everything you guys have been describing. Thanks for all your suggestions.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Nice jacket. Sounds like you got just what you wanted. The bi-swing back is an unusual request. How far over your belt does the jacket sit, one or two inches?

JanSolo

Practically Family
Great jacket. I like the lining and the extra facings for bottom hem and cuffs. The Highwayman is a real classic that fits most styles of clothing so it's pretty versatile too. Enjoy it! Again, great choice.

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
It looks very good on you.
I really like the tartan, its beautiful and goes well with the leather.
I also like the clean look of the jacket without pockets and back yoke.

I didnt know you could line the inside of the sleeve with leather :eek: how nice!!
This is one of the places that wears first for me.

Ace Rimmer

One of the Regulars
GriffDeLaGriff said:
II also like the clean look of the jacket without pockets and back yoke.

Agreed. I have an Aero Veste de Rallye with the bi-swing back and it seems they will use a one-piece back whenever a customer asks for a bi-swing. While the bi-swing may be seen by some as detracting from the overall aesthetics, I think the one-piece back makes up for it!

53Effie

A-List Customer
Thumbs up! Very nice jacket and I agree with others that your choice of options is excellent. Very distinctive. Enjoy it lots!

Mike

Windward

Practically Family
Great jacket - like to hear you are wearing the "men size 46" like I do and always like to see AERO's famous FQHH in brown. The fit is just perfect!!

Navin323i

Practically Family
Beautiful jacket!! Looks great on you. :)

Seb Lucas said:
Nice jacket. Sounds like you got just what you wanted. The bi-swing back is an unusual request. How far over your belt does the jacket sit, one or two inches?

Bi-swing back isn't that unusual. There are quite a number of folks on here who got the bi-swing back and I was going to get the exact bi-swing that OneStar has (shoulder bi-swing) but it's not possible on the Aero NYPD because of the stitched down shoulder epauletts.

Lear

One of the Regulars
The jacket looks superb OneStar. Beautiful brown FQHH and lining.

Windward said:
Great jacket - like to hear you are wearing the "men size 46" like I do and always like to see AERO's famous FQHH in brown. The fit is just perfect!!

That's what I call normal size :D

-H

OneStar

New in Town
Seb Lucas said:
How far over your belt does the jacket sit, one or two inches?

Hi Seb,
It sits about an inch under the belt. I'm still getting used to this style of cropped jacket as my others are more driving-jacket length.

OneStar

New in Town
Thanks for all your kind comments. I'm lucky there has been a cold snap here in Sydney (well, for Sydney it is considered cold) so I have been able to get the jacket out for some wear. Now, if this cold snap could just last another 10 years I might be able to break this baby in!

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Navin323i said:
Beautiful jacket!! Looks great on you. :)

Bi-swing back isn't that unusual. There are quite a number of folks on here who got the bi-swing back and I was going to get the exact bi-swing that OneStar has (shoulder bi-swing) but it's not possible on the Aero NYPD because of the stitched down shoulder epauletts.

I know all that N - I mean why bi-swing for a Highwayman, given the elegant design of the standard version.

Cooperson

One Too Many
A beautiful jacket that will last a life time. Love the extra features and the lining choice. Congratulations and enjoy the breaking in time.

Cheers

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
I like the shoulder biswing feeling. I believe its a great help when driving.
It just gives that little bit extra comfort when reaching forward.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld