Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anderson Shelter....

Eyemo

Practically Family
Well, this is what we've been doing today. Last few stages of our Anderson Shelter project.

An original WW2 shelter dug into the ground of a Primary School for educational purposes.:)
009-1.jpg

Rufus

Practically Family
Great Job Seimon,

I spent many happy summer holidays playing in the anderson shelter in my Nan's garden. We used to camp out in it too.

Great to know that some of the little kiddies will get the chance to see, and sit in one!

It's sad that my grandparents generation are increasingly not hear to tell their very important stories, and it's our responsibilty to tell future generations.

Good job Sir!

:) Ruf

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
The living history series "1940s House" showed the family making an Anderson shelter.
Off topic, they also got a package from the U.S. addressed from Santa Rosa a few blocks from me. :)

Sincerely, The Wolf

Eyemo

Practically Family
Thanks Rufus....:) :) :)

Wolf, Yes the 1940s House was an excellent programme...I had the pleasure of helping out with the Dance at the end of the series. Also visited the family at the home....It even "Smelt real".

Cheers Guys!.:)

Warden

One Too Many
Great stuff

Once it is up are you going to spend the night in it.

I did with a few friends once. Even though it was October with frost on the ground, being slow close together we were not cold.

img28.gif

(I am the one in the middle)

I was even said enough to write a webpage about it. Read it here

Edward

Bartender
What was the intended purpose of the shelters? It always seemed to me that they wre less than bomb proof.... I'm sure that part of it at least was to induce a greater feeling of security in people (even if that was more imagined than real), but I presume that there much have been some practical advantage too. Less structure to fall in on you if there was a hit close by?

Warden

One Too Many
They say if installed correctly an Anderson could survive all but a direct hit.

I had a look on Google for a famous image of a destroyed house, but the Anderson still in tacked.

The only image of the photo I could find was this one, which is rather small. But you get the general idea.

blitz_anderson_shelter_after_bomb.jpg

Harry

Eyemo

Practically Family
Update...Shelter almost finished. The lovely Moonlight (my Girlfriend) who instigated the project is seen leaning out of the window...

The inside represents a shelter that has a homemade feel about it (as opposed to government supplied bunks which you had to pay for). Room for two adults and two smaller bunks for a couple of children...

Cheers all!.. Eyemo and Moonlight..:) :)
029.jpg

046.jpg

DutchIndo

A-List Customer
We used to make Forts/Bunkers in our backyard to the dismay of our parents.
Ours were fairly easy though a 5-6 foot hole with a plywood roof. In our fort would be candles, cigarettes and Playboys ( Hey it was a "Man Cave" !). Our parents weren't about to crawl in our fort so it was cool.

Eyemo

Practically Family
Hi Warden,Yes, the intention is to have a sleep-over.:D ..Thanks Fleur,Rufus and every one else for the kind comments. We've had a lot of positive response from this..Hope the kids will benefit...If not, it can be turned into the School staff room!lol

BTW Edward, my friends father survived an almost direct hit in one of these.

Mike1973

A-List Customer
I wonder how many are left undiscovered in peoples gardens? My guess is hundreds, if not thousands!
Here is one I saw after just being discovered, somewhat unceremoneously, yesterday, while doing a site visit in Haslemere, Surrey.

P9110032.jpg

P9110034.jpg

Looked like it has just been buried after the war. Easier than pulling it down and removing it! The digger wasn't going to stop for me, so didn't get to look inside. In a few months there will be a driveway going over where it once stood.

BTW, good work with your reconstruction ;) Glad there are some people out there preserving this very important part of our history.

Eyemo

Practically Family
OOOhhhhh Noooo!!...:eek: :eek: :eek: Any chance you could grab the nuts and Bolts???... I'm in short supply for my next build:eusa_doh:

Mike1973

A-List Customer
Eyemo said:
OOOhhhhh Noooo!!...:eek: :eek: :eek: Any chance you could grab the nuts and Bolts???... I'm in short supply for my next build:eusa_doh:

Sorry Seimon, I wasn't in a position to doing any saving...:( The site is over an hour away and us and my boss was on a tight schedule. I didn't even get a chance to stick my nose inside.

D

Dudleydoright

Shelters

Interesting thread.
Both my parents earliest memories concern being bombed as kids !

My Dad's earliest memory was being in the Anderson whilst being bombed and seeing the door of the shelter blow inwards for a foot before being sucked back out by a bomb which took their house out and left them with only what they had in the shelter. So it saved his (and therefore my) bacon !

My Mum remembers hiding under the 'Big Table' in the corner by the stairs in her grandparents house during the Blitz.

Incidentally my Dad and his sister and my Grandmother were also bombed out of their temporary accommodation in '44 by a Doodlebug. Hitler really had it in for my family ! My Grandad was 'on holiday in Normandy' at the time and got a telegram telling him his family had been bombed and he had a 48 hour pass to find out if they were alive or not. Due to bad weather, he was delayed returning to his unti on the English side of the Channel. Within hours of being technically AWOL my Nan had lost her new accommodation and her ration books and was cast out with the two kids ! Only a few days after being bombed out. After my Grandad turned up at his unit and had a 'chit' explaining the reason for his delay, my Nan was found and given back her house and ration books.
My Grandad had only his three war medals (which he threw out upon receipt) and my Nan got none.
Dudley

Edward

Bartender
Interesting comments, all - I had no idea that the Andersons were so protective!

Dudley, alas theree seem to have been all too many cases of military personnel being disillusioned by treatment of them and their families at home.... My primary school headmaster was an ex-RAF bomber pilot; he had escaped from a POW camp, through occupied France, and felt the Brits treated him worse on his return than had the Germans. Also once branded 'LMF' by superiors because he turned tale and flew back to England to save his crew when they were sent out in a plane that turned out to have only one engine functioning. Even as late as the 80s, he refused to have anything to do with Rememberance Sunday, and boycotted Robinson's products (marmalade, etc) as they were owned by one of the commanding officers responsible for his treatment.

Dudleydoright

A-List Customer
LMF

Lack Of Moral Fibre. I HATE that phrase/ euphorism for coward. Usually given to someone who had (temporarily or permanently) had enough and had given their all by someone who hadn't a clue what it took to put yourself in harms way repeatedly.

My grandad was a Royal Engineer attached to a Canadian Division and was in action from 7th June until the end of the war. He lost 6 close friends. That has to mark a man in many ways. My Nan only ever said that he had 'not had a good war'. My Grandad never talked about his service until I was in myself and then only about training and away from the front line. Shortly before he died whilst we were watching a programme on TV that showed Tibetan prayer flags he, out of the blue, just said that it reminded him of France in WW2. When I asked in what way, he said that whilst walking up to the front line one day he saw lots of white cloth in the trees and then realised that it was human flesh that had been truned fat side out and was hanging there for all to see. No wonder he didn't like to talk about it ! RIP old fella.
DDR

Edward

Bartender
It's hard to imagine what a lot of folks must have gone through back then - not something that has changed, either: my Big Issue seller is ex-forces, did nine months in Iraq, and I gather saw some horrific stuff. I'm not sure how thins have changed - for the better, I hope, in some way - but I do often wonder how many people were left badly psychologically scarred by service the World Wars, and went untreated due to less being understood about it back then. Hell, how many were executed in WW2 for what were ultimately the symptoms of what we'd now know (and treat) as PTSD?

Anyhow, sorry for going :eek:fftopic: folks. On the matter of air raid shelters, nxt time I'm over with my parents, I'll photograph the one that still stands in the grounds of their church.

Warden

One Too Many
Just to add to this thread, my Anderson Shelter is all ready for Christmas

lit-up-anderson.jpg

Just don't tell Hodges

Harry

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld