Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

An antidote to casual fridays?

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Paisley said:
That doesn't seem to keep anyone from wearing skin-tight jeans and shirts, or the all-black, all-the-time look.

And there is nothing wrong with the all-black all-the-time look!

If its neat and tidy and well done, there is no 'best dressed' rule that says one must wear any particular colour to work.

Pilgrim

One Too Many
"And there is nothing wrong with the all-black all-the-time look!"

That reminds me of one of Garrison Keillor's skits on Prairie Home Companion. he plays a self-conscious midwesterner who's visiting Hollywood, goes to a cocktail party and feels like he's not fitting in. He asks his companion "What's wrong, am I not wearing enough black?"

I thought that was a great shot.:cool:

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
I'm wondering if she was thinking though of all-black all the time as the grunge/gothic look I see a lot. On the dressier side, black is awesome because you usually can't go wrong with it.
I totally disagree with uniforms at the workplace idea....sure, for all the morons out there who havn't a clue, it might make little sense but, I would hate to wear the same thing everyone else was EVERY single day....yuck. The monotony of it all would wear thin for me

EL COLORADO

One of the Regulars
EL COLORADO's week...

Pinstripe Mondays
Herringbone Tuesdays
Fleck Wednesdays
Glen Plaid Thursdays
Gabardine Fridays
Sharkskin Saturdays
Rayon Sundays

EC

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
mysterygal said:
I'm wondering if she was thinking though of all-black all the time as the grunge/gothic look I see a lot. On the dressier side, black is awesome because you usually can't go wrong with it.
I totally disagree with uniforms at the workplace idea....sure, for all the morons out there who havn't a clue, it might make little sense but, I would hate to wear the same thing everyone else was EVERY single day....yuck. The monotony of it all would wear thin for me

I was not thinking of anything in particular except what you said, which was 'all black all the time'.

And just for the record, not because I think you actually care which group of people you are discussing here, Grunge is -nothing- like Gothic. In fact in many ways they are quite diametric opposites.

Anyhow, This whole track has gone way far into the 'us -vs- them and arn't we so better' line of discussion that I don't participate in.

Cordially,
D

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
Miss Neecerie said:
And there is nothing wrong with the all-black all-the-time look!

If its neat and tidy and well done, there is no 'best dressed' rule that says one must wear any particular colour to work.

Thank you. I love black. :)

Tin Pan Sally

ElDorado; You'll have to include a crepe day for me!

I declare today "Please only wear a nude colored bra under your white blouse" day. Doesn't anyone tell their daughters not to do white under white anymore?

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
I wasn't meaning to slump gothic and grunge as the same group ( I'm very aware that there's differences between them, growing up in Seattle and all)
I guess what I was getting at was wondering if either or was what she was referring to, gothic of course sporting more black, but even grunge, there's a lot of dark colors, including black being worn

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
Definitely Friday night casual bowling shirt...

bowlingshirt3small.jpg

They used to send children home from school if they weren't dressed appropriately. Send them home and tell them to dress appropriately.
1. You get a handbook when you are hired that deals with appropriate business dress that is expected.
2. You get three chances to do it right.
3. Each failure results in a warning letter being placed in your employee file.
4. After the third warning---goodbye slob! [bad] :eusa_booh

Regards,

J

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
There's a couple of schools around here that are trying something new, whenever a kid comes to school wearing something inappropriate, they give them a oversized sweater with the school's logo on it and have to wear it all day long.....it was actually working because it was embarrasing whoever had to wear it.
About lawsuits, isn't it sad Marc how sue happy everyone is? it's gotten ridiculous!

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
jamespowers said:
3. Each failure results in a warning letter being placed in your employee file.
4. After the third warning---goodbye slob! [bad] :eusa_booh

And if that slob is a brilliant scientist? Or a tenured professor? Or both? Take the old Einstein: he could well have been the sloppiest-dressed professor at Stanford.

Pilgrim

One Too Many
Hey, I think black looks great on most people! I admit that I'm not a fan of all-black, but there are people who look super in that, too. I thought Keillor's comment was a gentle way to nudge those in Hollywood who make it a bit of a stereotype.

No us-vs-them intended. Wear it if ya got it!

About dress codes - they're a potential problem for companies. If a firm sets up a general dress code as part of their employee policies they can certainly enforce it, but they better be sure it doesn't create problems for employees with disabilities, employees with specific work responsibilities that make it unsafe for them to conform (ferinstance, you don't wear ties around equipment with rotating components), or requirements that run counter to religious dictates. And then, there's always the potential for some supervisor to become "the clothing nazi" and make it their lifes' work to enforce the code down to the last period. It's often easier to handle all this informally.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe