Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Am I too old for this pretty, girly dress?

rachelolive92

Banned
My aunt's story: A bit about me, I'm 44, short (5'2", hourglass I think, long wavy blonde hair. Oh and a size 12 (UK) so I think that's an 8 (US)Am I too old for this pretty, girly dress?I'm a sucker for dresses, I lust after and sometimes buy dresses that I love but that don't necessarily suit my lifestyle or age.Today's arrival, a case in point. I love it, it's super pretty but I've a sneaking suspicion that it's really too girly/twee/young for me.Should I keep it or send it back? And if it's a keeper how do I keep it from it from looking age-inappropriate?Thanks!
pic here.
Oh and obviously that isn't me, it's a slimmer, much younger model!

Deco-Doll-1928

Practically Family
It looks cute from what I can tell, but it's really hard to see. The photo is super tiny. As you get older some lighter colors (especially light pink) can be hard to pull off. Although, I'm determined that regardless of how old I am, I'm going to wear whatever I want. As long as it makes me happy that's all that matters. :)

Trust your gut instinct. If it says no, don't get it. The truth is that you'll always be bothered by your first reservations on getting the dress. You'll never be happy wearing it.

BTW, welcome to the Fedora Lounge. :)

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
I'm glad you posted this because I've been thinking about the issue of sleeveless dresses or tops for women over forty. I've decided that for me the the issue isn't one's age so much as the shape/fitness of one's arms, however, it seems that many of us over forty are more prone to sagging skin and flab in the upper arms. But for your dress I wouldn't say it's too girly/youthful.

lareine

A-List Customer
It's hard to tell without knowing how it looks on you. As you are short it's probably not so far above the knee which would help a bit. However if you don't feel confident that you look good and age-appropriate in it then you probably won't be comfortable anyway.

Louise Anne

Suspended
I think the key is that you got to be confident wearing it and making that come over, only you know if you would be. Maybe 20 years ago it would be too old for a lady like you but we are all living longer and I think styles these days can also go upwards.
Are you any good with photoshop, you could always use that to put the dress onto a photo of you and get a sort of idea first.

rue

I'm glad you posted this because I've been thinking about the issue of sleeveless dresses or tops for women over forty. I've decided that for me the the issue isn't one's age so much as the shape/fitness of one's arms, however, it seems that many of us over forty are more prone to sagging skin and flab in the upper arms. But for your dress I wouldn't say it's too girly/youthful.

I have to agree with this.... it depends on your arms and how comfortable you are showing them. I think the dress itself is fine for your age though :)

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Ugh, the OP is a spammer! Check the posts, they're a man in one thread and a woman in the next, and link to the same Deals Studio website in each!

Is it just me, or are these showing up a lot lately?

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
Mrs Obama rocks that sort of dress - it isn't inappropriate at all, it just depends on how toned your arms are.

Agreed - as long as my arms are in good shape I won't hesitate to wear sleeveless dresses. On some show or magazine article (maybe Trinny & Susannah?) they said once a woman is past 35 she should cover her arms - like it was written in stone or something - like being past 35 means you are instantly wrecked and out of shape!:mad:

And I love Michelle Obama's style - particularly her use of colour and patterns.....

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Yeah, that's the usual spammer trick these days. But hey, it sparked an interesting discussion...

At least! lol Moving right along then...

On some show or magazine article (maybe Trinny & Susannah?) they said once a woman is past 35 she should cover her arms - like it was written in stone or something - like being past 35 means you are instantly wrecked and out of shape!:mad:

That was Trinny & Susannah. I think they said something about 35 being the age when you lose all elasticity, which isnt necessarily true. I'm in my early 20's and have only had toned arms when I lifted weights in high school, and not much then. I try not to rest my arms against my side when I wear a sleeveless dress. A bit awkward, but it works :)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I'm 48, and my arms are no different than they were when I was 18 -- I don't exercise them, but I do a lot of heavy lifting at work, and maybe that helps. In any case, I wouldn't have a problem wearing something sleeveless if the occasion called for it, no matter how old I am.

My midriff, however, that's another story...

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
At least! lol Moving right along then...

That was Trinny & Susannah. I think they said something about 35 being the age when you lose all elasticity, which isnt necessarily true. I'm in my early 20's and have only had toned arms when I lifted weights in high school, and not much then. I try not to rest my arms against my side when I wear a sleeveless dress. A bit awkward, but it works :)

Yes - ALL of us must lose elasticity at 35 - every last one of us!!!!!! So glad Audrey Hepburn didn't hear that particular gem or she wouldn't have continued wearing sleeveless dresses (and looking fabulous) well into her 40's!

I know what you mean about the not resting your arms close to your body though - some photographer was giving that tip on tv before - no matter how slim your arms don't press them to your body as it adds pounds - also to tilt your body slightly to the side - better than standing facing the camera apparently! :p

Louise Anne

Suspended
I think person style these days is just what you feel is right for you wearing, with common sense, instead of your now a certain age you should be wearing this now and if your not there something up with you.
Amanda Redman ( UK actress) is a good role model for sleeves dresses, she had burned on her arm at a young age and was scared very badly and it still show a lot she still wears sleeveless dresses in TV films and on chat shows etc

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
Amanda Redman ( UK actress) is a good role model for sleeves dresses, she had burned on her arm at a young age and was scared very badly and it still show a lot she still wears sleeveless dresses in TV films and on chat shows etc

Good point - she always looks amazing and she doesn't hide her scars that she's had since she was a little girl.....

Deco-Doll-1928

Practically Family
I feel stupid now. I thought the whole Aunt's Story part was a bit odd. That should have clued me in, but I felt bad that no one replied yet, so I posted something regardless.

Thanks to Lady Day for posting a bigger picture, my eyes thank you! The other picture made me squint my eyes and get really close to my computer. My eyes are not what they used to be!

I think the style of the dress is completely fine for a 40-something year old woman. I'm more hesitant on the color. A light pink blouse yes, but a dress maybe not so much. There are people that can pull off just about anything. Although in that picture, I noticed that the dress is a lot darker than I thought it was, so it might not be as bad after all. You can always pair it with something that might either compliment it or tone down the "brightness".

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
I feel stupid now. I thought the whole Aunt's Story part was a bit odd. That should have clued me in, but I felt bad that no one replied yet, so I posted something regardless.

OT: Aww, you're a sweetie :) Don't feel stupid, they're getting more convincing all the time. Back in '09 they used to flat out post pictures of Nike sneakers, now they come with a story and plant generic 5 word posts in other threads to avert suspicion. Clever little UNIX hackers.

Deco-Doll-1928

Practically Family
OT: Aww, you're a sweetie :) Don't feel stupid, they're getting more convincing all the time. Back in '09 they used to flat out post pictures of Nike sneakers, now they come with a story and plant generic 5 word posts in other threads to avert suspicion. Clever little UNIX hackers.

Thank you. I'll know what to look for in the future now. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld