Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alpha b-15: What a waste of time, energy, and money

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Sizing can be BIG, so ask for measurements. My 44 was more like a 48" :) Quality was great in the 'Replica' series. I'm a size 46" chest & am on the lookout for a 42".

Flightengineer

Practically Family
Thanks guys!
I just have never seen a vintage Alfa series in THIS version, I gues it is made earlier than in 90th
I think to buy it. It has long wanted to buy a blue nylon (green I already have).

Marv

A-List Customer
I recently picked up a NOS (with tags) Weintraub Bros L-2A in a size Large and i've been pretty impressed with it, good quality jacket and well made.
Not sure when it was manufactured as their website no longer produces these jackets anymore as far as I am aware, there was a review on a past thread comparing the Alpha L-2A vs the Weintraub L-2A to which the later came off slightly better all round.
I also got hold of an Alpha MA-1 (made in vietnam) size XL for £30 (this was my first MA-1) which seems to be decent quality, pocket placement and pocket flap size seem pretty authentic but the jacket was a size too large.
So i bought a brand new Alpha MA-1 (2015 Sage green colour) - (made in china I guess) in a size Large which fits great but there are some differences between the pocket/flap placements - too far back and seems a lesser quality or materials used plus the nylon is rather shiny also.

Does anybody has any idea - what year, Alpha's MA-1 made in vietnam was produced as a matter of interest.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
I recently picked up a NOS (with tags) Weintraub Bros L-2A in a size Large and i've been pretty impressed with it, good quality jacket and well made.
Not sure when it was manufactured as their website no longer produces these jackets anymore as far as I am aware, there was a review on a past thread comparing the Alpha L-2A vs the Weintraub L-2A to which the later came off slightly better all round.
I also got hold of an Alpha MA-1 (made in vietnam) size XL for £30 (this was my first MA-1) which seems to be decent quality, pocket placement and pocket flap size seem pretty authentic but the jacket was a size too large.
So i bought a brand new Alpha MA-1 (2015 Sage green colour) - (made in china I guess) in a size Large which fits great but there are some differences between the pocket/flap placements - too far back and seems a lesser quality or materials used plus the nylon is rather shiny also.
Alpha's jackets have not been intended to be authentic for a long time. Which is fine with me, since their current jackets are very well made, and much better made than the stuff they were making in the USA a decade+ or so ago, even though those have more authentic proportions, etc.

bn1966

Sizing can be BIG, so ask for measurements. My 44 was more like a 48" :) Quality was great in the 'Replica' series. I'm a size 46" chest & am on the lookout for a 42".

Well two years later I've eventually found (on the Bay) an Alpha B-15C 'Replica' Series in a size 42 (used)

..will it number out as a 46? (Vendor didn't reply to measurement requests)

Will the shoulders be broad enough?

I'll know in the next two weeks :)

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Well two years later I've eventually found (on the Bay) an Alpha B-15C 'Replica' Series in a size 42 (used)

Nylon, old and new, is all over the map fit-wise, etc. Just give up and become a Nomex Only guy and you can buy the same size over and over again and it always fits!

MeachamLake

A-List Customer

Link? I'll have a look and ask the seller too for measurements. Maybe if he gets enough requests he'll actually reply to you!

bn1966

Link? I'll have a look and ask the seller too for measurements. Maybe if he gets enough requests he'll actually reply to you!

Cheers appreciate it, I've had a punt now & am just awaiting delivery. Can get some numbers out & pics when it arrives. My 44 sized out at about a 48/50, way bigger than an XL in the Vintage series. Always wondered if that put a 42 into 46 land.. Now I'll get to find out :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mismichael